ABF | RB's Infinite Wisdom

Guys, I'm looking at the scenario he mentioned as only that particular day, not projecting to any other days into the future. My point was that DOT regulates only DRIVING not WORK hours. Sorry for any confusion.
Thank you for the clarification Triplex. I was afraid DOT rules had been changed that I was not aware of. After all, I am just an ‘ole dumb hostler from R-KIN-SAW. LOL!!!

Thank you for the clarification Triplex. I was afraid DOT rules had been changed that I was not aware of. After all, I am just an ‘ole dumb hostler from R-KIN-SAW. LOL!!!
I probably wasn't clear in my original post. After driving 8 hours, you can legally work 8 hours on the dock, BUT you cannot then drive again without taking the required time off.

I probably wasn't clear in my original post. After driving 8 hours, you can legally work 8 hours on the dock, BUT you cannot then drive again without taking the required time off.
To further clarify, you can work unlimited hours on the dock, but you cannot drive again without meeting DOT rest/hours-of-service requirements.

Razorblade said:
BTW: 16 hour shifts and 6 days a week sounds like a hog board linehaul driver.

Oh yeah. That clears it up as you were talking about hog board linehaul drivers.
We all know how they work “16 hour shifts and 6 days a week” on the dock of course.
Nice try there Blade.

Let’s hope they actually do it. A road driver can actually do 28 more hours in a seven day week with a 34 hour restart. Not that anyone is going to do it but can’t be done. That will take jobs away from senior guys.
Who in their right mind thinks it's a good idea to be able to work more hours than most already do? What's wrong with this picture?

Let’s hope they actually do it. A road driver can actually do 28 more hours in a seven day week with a 34 hour restart. Not that anyone is going to do it but can’t be done. That will take jobs away from senior guys.
Who in their right mind thinks it's a good idea to be able to work more hours than most already do? What's wrong with this picture?
Blade does if you will do it for half pay. :lmao:

SOR, I hate to say it but he's correct here. DOT regulates only when and for how long you can drive. You have to count all time on the dock as on duty not driving but there's no limit to that time.
I disagree. DOT rules say you can only drive 11 hrs and work an additional 3hrs on duty not driving before requiring a 10 hr break. Under extreme weather conditions that were unforseen before departure, you can drive 1 additional hr to reach a safe haven, but it is deducted from your total of 14hrs maximum. Shortline runs may have different rules however,,,I am fairly certain that you cannot exceed 14 hrs total on duty before a 10 hr rest. The only way I could see that being legal is if you were done driving for the rest of the shift, and just worked the dock exclusively for an additional 8hrs, but that would really suck... I seem to remember in my covid-addled brain that sac75 is correct about manipulating an extra 28hrs with a 34 hr restart

Last edited:
I disagree. DOT rules say you can only drive 11 hrs and work an additional 3hrs on duty not driving before requiring a 10 hr break. Under extreme weather conditions that were unforseen before departure, you can drive 1 additional hr to reach a safe haven, but it is deducted from your total of 14hrs maximum. Shortline runs may have different rules however,,,I am fairly certain that you cannot exceed 14 hrs total on duty before a 10 hr rest. The only way I could see that being legal is if you were done driving for the rest of the shift, and just worked the dock exclusively for an additional 8hrs, but that would really suck... I seem to remember in my covid-addled brain that sac75 is correct about manipulating an extra 28hrs with a 34 hr restart
We are saying the same thing.
If you drive 5 hours to the turnaround point and work the dock for 5 hours, you do not have enough time to drive back without going over 14. After 14 total hours, you must have the required break before driving again.
If you drive 5 hours to the turn point and work the dock for an hour, then drive 5 hours back, you can work the dock for as long as necessary. The 14 hour rule only limits driving time. After 14, or more, total hours in a shift, you must take the required break before driving. Dock hours must be logged as on duty but there is no violation if you don't drive after 14 total hours in the same shift.

We are saying the same thing.
If you drive 5 hours to the turnaround point and work the dock for 5 hours, you do not have enough time to drive back without going over 14. After 14 total hours, you must have the required break before driving again.
If you drive 5 hours to the turn point and work the dock for an hour, then drive 5 hours back, you can work the dock for as long as necessary. The 14 hour rule only limits driving time. After 14, or more, total hours in a shift, you must take the required break before driving. Dock hours must be logged as on duty but there is no violation if you don't drive after 14 total hours in the same shift.
But what about the hogboard line haul driver who does 16 hour days 6 days a week?

I was hoping someone would clear this up and you came thru Tri! You can finish driving 10 or up to 11 hours in 1 shift and then work the dock for as many hours past 14 or even 16 that you want. But those hours of on duty will count against your 70. And if you work following that physical debacle, you must have 10 hours of rest first. The only time I know this has happened at FXF is on a Friday night with a day bid road driver. Because he's about to get a reset anyway. I think we are talking in what ifs here. Yes it can be done but I know some pretty hungry road guys who would rather stick forks in their eyes than do what we are discussing.

Wrong my friend. DOT doesn't give a rats tush how many hours you work in non-driving category. It only regulates how long and when you can drive, nothing else. Of course all your on-duty-non-driving time enters into the calculations for when you can drive but the number of hours you work in ODND mode is not limited by DOT.

Peddle & dock men weren't allowed to sit at the same tables in the breakroom with the roadmen. They were the Primadonna's & we were peasants. Am I overreacting or can somebody say Amen?