ABF | RB's Infinite Wisdom

Jaloc

TB Legend
PREMIUM
Credits
Why not add free lifetime healthcare and cost of living increases for retirees?
Used to be common benefits I remember when my grandfather retired from IL Bell in 1984 he had paid health insurance through retirement and a pension with cost of living increases. Then CEO's in the 80s came out with the 401scam save for your own retirement and pay for your own health insurance.

Used to be common benefits I remember when my grandfather retired from IL Bell in 1984 he had paid health insurance through retirement and a pension with cost of living increases. Then CEO's in the 80s came out with the 401scam save for your own retirement and pay for your own health insurance.
You should do your homework. Just $10,000 in a 401K S&P 500 fund since 1980 would be worth more than $ 800,000 today.

Might be a great idea to have the union hire a hacker to find out exactly how much the LTL Teamster has been ripped off since legalizing doubles and 102's and 53's in the 80's and 90's.
Look into how the customers and companies take our fair share by their use.
Look into their computer programs and how everybody benefits but us by cramming junk from floor to ceiling in the bigger trailers.
My hunch is that they've made a killing.
They've gotten rid of the majority of Teamsters in LTL......And while the biggest investors and customers make a killing....we just struggle and struggle and struggle....hauling more freight and not getting our share. It's probably alot more loss then it appears.
And we need to know exact facts on the usage of the wider, taller, and longer trailers.
Less drivers also equals less influence politically....and more work and less pay goes with that.

NPME has used the 96" 12'6" 45' for a long time.
And with Yellow, I see that ending in the near future. No doubles.

Save as much as you think you can by stacking and increasing volume handled by one guy.
But the Teamsters must get our share.
The ripoffs must end.
And I'm sure it's a bigger ripoff than it has appeared since all have gone the route of bigger and more.

To equal it out and say..." You are not gonna make all that extra money without us getting our share....the raises and comp might have to quadruple.
Time is important. It is life. And damaged freight and time to unload and load with the bigger trailers is a waste of time imo. Curbing the company thirst for volume and making it cost something.....could curb the waste of time.
Maybe not in the worlds life.
Maybe not in the company and customers life.
But in our life.
And that is who the contract negotiators on our side are supposed to be looking out for.

How much more do they make on a 53?
How much more with pups and doubles?
How much on 102's?
How much on 13'6"?

We must get our share....and we, the drivers and dock workers have not gotten our fair share since before 1980 when all these changes became accepted as the norm.
No employee, Teamster or otherwise, ever gets ripped off if he is paid the agreed to rate for the work he performs.
Your argument is foolish. If you think you should be paid by the volume of freight on a trailer, I guess being paid the same rate for empties as for loads should be addressed.

No employee, Teamster or otherwise, ever gets ripped off if he is paid the agreed to rate for the work he performs.
Your argument is foolish. If you think you should be paid by the volume of freight on a trailer, I guess being paid the same rate for empties as for loads should be addressed.
No.
I don't think like you.
And I don't have to think like you.
Some want profits and no loss in every aspect...loaded or empty, and we should think no differently.
Why are we hauling empty trailers anyways?
On one hand the companies we haul for make a killing on stuffed trailers. On the other hand our companies take losses to the point of bankruptcy on stuffed trailers.
The bill count and measuring every hair of Freight and our relationship with people who choose to do it and keep us unstable definitely needs a thorough investigation. Big money likes stability and we are no different or at least we shouldn't be.
Piece rate is not the answer.
More profit for us is the answer. Just like more profits for the company is always your answer.

This is a contract proposal thread.
Therefore it is the place for addressing ripoffs of current and passed contracts.

By you sticking your company-oriented opinion into this, you have pretty much shown that it definitely needs to be looked into.
I'll thank you for that.

And when it gets put in the contract we will say it's all your fault.

You should do your homework. Just $10,000 in a 401K S&P 500 fund since 1980 would be worth more than $ 800,000 today.
Not to get a financial argument going, but if I remember correctly, you could get crazy returns on interest rates for CD’s back in the day as well. Not the case nowadays. Same situation for a 401k today as well. Unless you have a company match for a certain percentage of your 401k, they are pretty much useless when it comes to saving for the future. Unfortunately, most young people are not concerned with saving for the future until later in their careers. So I would dare to guess that most people in a driving or any other blue collar job have a 401K that they have contributed to for more than 25 years. Let alone 40 plus years like you are suggesting.
Healthcare is another area that young people ignore early on until a tragedy occurs and they then realize a supplemental plan would have been a good idea. Once the tragedy occurs, it is too late and you are out-of-pocket for thousands if not hundreds of thousands.
That is why I am thankful for the pension and healthcare provided by the collective bargaining agreement that I work under. I may not bring home as much at the end of the week as my friend that works for his employer with no company provided pension and little to no healthcare. But, at least I know that when a tragedy strikes or I am ready to retire, I am better off than most.

Ok so in 42 years you would have that.....that means you would have to invest that money when you were 20 years old or so.....how many 20 year olds had 10k kicking around in 1980? Did you have that much when you were that age? Minimum wage was $3.10 pretty hard to have that kind of money sitting around..... I remember in the 80s when i first got my own place eating hot dogs and pb&j sandwiches everyday because that is all i could afford.....couldn't eat hot dogs for years (which is why I never applied at FedEx...lol)... in today's money it would be more than 35k....

Ok so in 42 years you would have that.....that means you would have to invest that money when you were 20 years old or so.....how many 20 year olds had 10k kicking around in 1980? Did you have that much when you were that age? Minimum wage was $3.10 pretty hard to have that kind of money sitting around..... I remember in the 80s when i first got my own place eating hot dogs and pb&j sandwiches everyday because that is all i could afford.....couldn't eat hot dogs for years (which is why I never applied at FedEx...lol)... in today's money it would be more than 35k....

NO!! 401K doesn't work that way. It's not a one-time investment. It's a set percentage from each paycheck matched at some rate by the employer. Dollar cost averaging over decades will make anyone wealthy in retirement.

Not to get a financial argument going, but if I remember correctly, you could get crazy returns on interest rates for CD’s back in the day as well. Not the case nowadays. Same situation for a 401k today as well. Unless you have a company match for a certain percentage of your 401k, they are pretty much useless when it comes to saving for the future. Unfortunately, most young people are not concerned with saving for the future until later in their careers. So I would dare to guess that most people in a driving or any other blue collar job have a 401K that they have contributed to for more than 25 years. Let alone 40 plus years like you are suggesting.
Healthcare is another area that young people ignore early on until a tragedy occurs and they then realize a supplemental plan would have been a good idea. Once the tragedy occurs, it is too late and you are out-of-pocket for thousands if not hundreds of thousands.
That is why I am thankful for the pension and healthcare provided by the collective bargaining agreement that I work under. I may not bring home as much at the end of the week as my friend that works for his employer with no company provided pension and little to no healthcare. But, at least I know that when a tragedy strikes or I am ready to retire, I am better off than most.
You have just repeated what I have been posting for two years. It's called personal responsibility. Those who depend on others for their financial security are foolish. 401K contributions are tax free money. The employer match is totally free money. You are saying that Teamsters are not smart enough to take free money and you are correct.

NO!! 401K doesn't work that way. It's not a one-time investment. It's a set percentage from each paycheck matched at some rate by the employer. Dollar cost averaging over decades will make anyone wealthy in retirement.
Not completely accurate there Blade. There are 401K’s out there that do not get any kind of match from an employer. For example, the Teamsters have a 401K for it‘s members, but to my knowledge they match nothing. So what you contribute and what you earn over time is what you get. Nothing else. Unless something has changed that I am unaware of. If it has changed, please inform us about it.

Not completely accurate there Blade.
When is he accurate? He is a hypocritical, egomaniac....he talks about personal responsibility but yet he files for bankruptcy and calls others stupid when they make bad choices....he collects three quarters of a million dollars in pension money and his social security and thinks he is some kind of financial guru because he has money....too funny

401K contributions are tax free money. The employer match is totally free money. You are saying that Teamsters are not smart enough to take free money and you are correct.
If the employer does indeed do a match then yes it is free money. And as usual, you try to put your spin on things. Where did I state that Teamsters are not smart enough to take free money? I stated that most young people in the business fail to see the importance of a good investment plan or a good healthcare plan until later in their career. It was you that stated Teamsters were not smart enough, not me!!!

If the employer does indeed do a match then yes it is free money. And as usual, you try to put your spin on things. Where did I state that Teamsters are not smart enough to take free money? I stated that most young people in the business fail to see the importance of a good investment plan or a good healthcare plan until later in their career. It was you that stated Teamsters were not smart enough, not me!!!
Also like you already stated there is no match in the (former) NMFA companies, but he already knows that...win even if you have to lie blade...

Might be a great idea to have the union hire a hacker to find out exactly how much the LTL Teamster has been ripped off since legalizing doubles and 102's and 53's in the 80's and 90's.
Look into how the customers and companies take our fair share by their use.
Look into their computer programs and how everybody benefits but us by cramming junk from floor to ceiling in the bigger trailers.
My hunch is that they've made a killing.
They've gotten rid of the majority of Teamsters in LTL......And while the biggest investors and customers make a killing....we just struggle and struggle and struggle....hauling more freight and not getting our share. It's probably alot more loss then it appears.
And we need to know exact facts on the usage of the wider, taller, and longer trailers.
Less drivers also equals less influence politically....and more work and less pay goes with that.

NPME has used the 96" 12'6" 45' for a long time.
And with Yellow, I see that ending in the near future. No doubles.

Save as much as you think you can by stacking and increasing volume handled by one guy.
But the Teamsters must get our share.
The ripoffs must end.
And I'm sure it's a bigger ripoff than it has appeared since all have gone the route of bigger and more.

To equal it out and say..." You are not gonna make all that extra money without us getting our share....the raises and comp might have to quadruple.
Time is important. It is life. And damaged freight and time to unload and load with the bigger trailers is a waste of time imo. Curbing the company thirst for volume and making it cost something.....could curb the waste of time.
Maybe not in the worlds life.
Maybe not in the company and customers life.
But in our life.
And that is who the contract negotiators on our side are supposed to be looking out for.

How much more do they make on a 53?
How much more with pups and doubles?
How much on 102's?
How much on 13'6"?

We must get our share....and we, the drivers and dock workers have not gotten our fair share since before 1980 when all these changes became accepted as the norm.
That's before my driving days. But I'm pretty sure it's there.
Huge losses for us.
Huge gains for everybody we serve.
Dude get over it this ain’t the 80’s. Companies have to compete or become obsolete. Had to edit I am referencing equipment.

Last edited:
You have just repeated what I have been posting for two years. It's called personal responsibility. Those who depend on others for their financial security are foolish. 401K contributions are tax free money. The employer match is totally free money. You are saying that Teamsters are not smart enough to take free money and you are correct.
You realize that you pay tax when you withdraw? And this Teamster started 401k as soon as it was offered, even though there was no match from company, my pension will be drastically lower than ABF guys because of YRC, Yellow, Yellow freight, or one Yellow, or what ever they decide to call themselves.