TForce | Re-Branding STOPPED!

Hey, We can go down memory lane. When I first started here we had NO am/fm radios, NO power steering, NO air conditioners, NO cruise control. NO anti lock anything. I remember having to foot pump the washer fluid, BUT we did have padded seats.:biglaugh:
That wouldn't work for all the new drivers these days. We would have to retrain them. Everyone has forgotten how to live without the extras.

Yeah I remember the pre-power steering,and no radio days.
We had the radio boxes,to load,and unload in our cabs.
But I can go one better then these issues BusterNite.
When I started in the trucking business it was long before the pallets were invented.
There was skids but they were to haul paper mainly.
They were short with boards,and no space on top,with two large runners on either side.
Almost all the other freight was loaded loose.
High,and tight,floor to the roof.
These were truely the bad old days.
Also there was no such thing as hours of service regulations.
You came in to unload the inbound trailers load your city route.
Make deliveries,and pickups,then unload your route trailer at our docks,then load all the outbound.
This type of work really seperated the men from the boys.
You never seen any women truckers back in the day.

But to make a long story short.
It really makes me laugh at the youngsters now days that always squawk on how hard everything is.
They will never know how good they've got it now days.

Some people have never had the pleasure of driving a quadraplex either.

Apo, I personally lived downhill and against the wind from the school both ways. Here in Wisconsin we used to have winter for 10.5 months a year before this global warming...and I also had to walk through a cow pasture in my barefeet cause my mom would beat me if my shoes got dirty...

Since we are talking memory lane here is a visual trip I have more maybe post the link to the album later enjoy.

When I started in the trucking business it was long before the pallets were invented.
They were short with boards,and no space on top,with two large runners on either side.
Make deliveries,and pickups,then unload your route trailer at our docks,then load all the outbound.

WOW Apostolic, you really are old.:hysterical: :hysterical: :smilie_132:

I remember those good old days, my brother and I worked at a freight company 8 miles up the hill from our house, we were so underpaid that we could only afford one pair of shoes so we took turns wearing them to and from work and we would each wear one shoe at work while working. As to the fact we were both adopted I wore a size 8 and he wore a size 9 so you can see the problems we were having. My brothers nickname is still "Skippy", of course it was either raining or showing on the trip up and down the hill to our house. I am still working like an underpaid dog, but my brother got his GED diploma attending night school and went on to work as a dispatcher at Swift, where he will soon retire, oh the choices we make. Oh! Skippy the boss sure did like you best.

Gee that was a nice post from you webidiot.
Do we all have to sort out what was true,and what was a tad far fitched?
Whatevere,that was a nice story of your younger days.
See now posting good times is good to see from you, rather than the negative stuff your always saying to all of us.

Ok you think I'm a oldtimer well you are right on the money with that statement.
Now speaking of money my first driving job back in the early 60's I was getting $1.45 an hour straight time.
My first Teamsters driving job was $3.30 an hour with time and a half 8 hours per day.

That was great money back in the day.
In 66' I was getting Hot Rod magazine in the mail every month.
I saw a picture of a car that was going to be sold starting around Sept of that year.
A car dealler had them in their show room just before the release date.
I went there as soon as I knew they had them,and bought one.
It was a 67' Firbird convertable.
Metalic blue with a white top,4 speed on the floor,mag wheeks with white letter tires.
My payments were $98.98 per month,for three years.

Now I'm making $21.50 per hour,and would have to take out a mortgage to purchase another brand new car.

I think the cost of living,and the taxes we have to pay out.
Have gone up a lot faster then our wages.
But thats life,do your best,and don't worry about the rest!

Ok you think I'm a oldtimer well you are right on the money with that statement.
Now speaking of money my first driving job back in the early 60's I was getting $1.45 an hour straight time.
My first Teamsters driving job was $3.30 an hour with time and a half 8 hours per day.

That was great money back in the day.
In 66' I was getting Hot Rod magazine in the mail every month.
I saw a picture of a car that was going to be sold starting around Sept of that year.
A car dealler had them in their show room just before the release date.
I went there as soon as I knew they had them,and bought one.
It was a 67' Firbird convertable.
Metalic blue with a white top,4 speed on the floor,mag wheeks with white letter tires.
My payments were $98.98 per month,for three years.

Now I'm making $21.50 per hour,and would have to take out a mortgage to purchase another brand new car.

I think the cost of living,and the taxes we have to pay out.
Have gone up a lot faster then our wages.
But thats life,do your best,and don't worry about the rest!

Could you imagine how much money you would be worth if you hung on to some your old cars? Unreal.

I remember those good old days, my brother and I worked at a freight company 8 miles up the hill from our house, we were so underpaid that we could only afford one pair of shoes so we took turns wearing them to and from work and we would each wear one shoe at work while working. As to the fact we were both adopted I wore a size 8 and he wore a size 9 so you can see the problems we were having. My brothers nickname is still "Skippy", of course it was either raining or showing on the trip up and down the hill to our house. I am still working like an underpaid dog, but my brother got his GED diploma attending night school and went on to work as a dispatcher at Swift, where he will soon retire, oh the choices we make. Oh! Skippy the boss sure did like you best.

:hysterical: :biglaugh: skippy:butt kiss:

I bet you would that sounds like a hell of a car. I always liked the 351 C's and M's.....

Another car I would like to have is the first car my wife and I bought together a brand new 1980 special anniversary addition Trans am All Black with a silver eagle on the hood (not gold) Loaded V-8 6.6 Liter, If I remember correcty it was the first year they came out with the square headlights. I also remember that being newlyweds at that time we could hardly afford the gas to run it. It was a gas hog.

But to make a long story short.
It really makes me laugh at the youngsters now days that always squawk on how hard everything is.
They will never know how good they've got it now days.

Apo, pallets were around pre ,50's. I recently viewed a program about the transportation industry and they were around in the 40's.

Also, I don't know what's worse, no power steering or air assist. Air assist would be easy then hard. It never seemed to be consistent. It was a challenge when backing into underground docks in Downtown. Then you would loose air pressure if you took too long and would have to build air to finish.

That's the was all UPS Parcel trailers are loaded. I recently received an overweight infraction at a weigh station on an 85% trailer because the first 85% was High,and tight,floor to the roof and the last 15% was empty. I was overweight on my single axle drivers.

Back in the day, "O" was known as Overweight.

Yes, I remember putting 50- 55 thousand on one of those no power steering single axle macks, with a spread on the axles so bad ,you would swear to god it should have sustained a sleeper.:1036316054:

Dispatch thought that was awesome. Until you killed the springs or sprung a leak.