XPO | Re:conway, Rebranding, Etc.

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
i was wondering if all the different divisions(western, central,southern etc.) are now going to become one con-way?and have the same paint jobs? NOTE:i don't like the new graphics.

Also, i noticed that the linehaul for western and southern use sleepers, whereas the one around me---CCX? The brown and orange stripes? use daycabs for linehaul? Can you tell me how that works?

this is only though the grapevine I heard this but they are using the sleepers out west and you say southern is because of purchased sleepers to CTL exceeded the amount they could hire drivers for, so not to take a huge loss in selling them off after the aquisition of CFI they were put in service in certain lanes they could be used in....this just what I heard not for fact

here in central we are still running many of the old conway truckload bunk tractors, that date back to the original truckload, we also have some new bunk units running out of the larger terminals, some of these are used in the ESL lanes, putting excess tractors to use from the CFI purchase makes sense , can not verify that but would seem logical to use equipment we already have, curious also as to how the pilot 2007 tractors have proven out with all the new EPA stuff required on them, talk originally was there was going to be a limited number purchased and in shop locations, my guess would be if everything is working well, we should start seeing more equipment upgrades in 2008

OK, basically i am a driver with approx 13 yrs experience lots of it in LTL so i'm not "allergic" to dockwork, although i would rather just drive.

i am looking around for something local or at least something where i can be home on the weekends due to family responsibilities (long story, would rather not get into the details....)

Here in the balto/dc area, we have (i think) CCX with the brown and orange stripes and mostly sterling daycabs. Some ford L-9000's from what i can see when driving past the terminal. i wonder if the eventual plan for con-way is to have nothing but sterlings with the blue stripes?

When shadow mentioned the old bunk tractors; Are these the FLD 120's with the single round headlights? If so, do the western and southern linehaul operated differently than central lineahaul (no-sleeper)?

eventually everything will be the blue striping on the tractors, like what you are seeing on the trailers, when they started the rebranding they talked a time frame of 36 months to have it completed, as far as I know we are still pruchasing the sterlings, which is what ford become after frieghtliner purchased them, the older bunk units we are using in central, are mostly just run solo, unless they are on an ESL lane, the reason they used them , (from what I was told back then) was whomever we originally sold truckload to, we purchased excess equipment back from them, at a very reasonable rate, so it just made good economic sense to use them, at the time the company was still growing very quickly, and the equipment was sorely needed, they are the 120s as you mentioned, now the newer bunk units running in central, are volvos, but still using sterling for the day cabs, I have heard talk of looking at other brands, but it was just talk, I think we will probably remain with the sterlings, are they a pete or KW, no, but for what they are, and how we use them I feel they are a good tractor for the purpose, hope this answered a few questions, always here to try to help, as for comming to work for con-way, I wouldnt shy away from it, I know there are many (or so it seems) nay sayers, but I feel they are a solid company and the pay and benifits are good, now I am sure I will get a rash of how awfull someone has it messages, so be it, I have worked enough other jobs to know, I have it pretty good where I am, good luck to you, and let me know if I can be of further help

1)Anything you can tell me would be a great help. Basically, i'm wondering how the linehaul works; i guess you pretty much have to work the dock? But really, anything related to conway would help.

a) what does "ESL" mean?
b) i did "shy" away from con-way for a long time because i heard that it was/is alot of work and erratic hours. Also, there are alot of complainers (hint, hint) on this and other forums, but one thing that everyone seems to agree on is that the money is good. So, that's partially what's attracting me to conway. Also, i think i've matured alot as a person and thus i can better handle doing dockwork in addition to the crazy hours.

2) Ok, i drove past the terminal last night after visiting the kids and it was all sterling daycabs most still had the brown+orange stripes. There were no L-9000 fords; ( it's been a while since i passed the terminal.) So, is conway's plan to use nothing but sterlings for P+D?

Thanks again; This is very helpful.

line haul drivers generally work the dock on both ends, the amount of time spent on the dock depends on how long the run is, shorter run, will get more dock time naturally, the larger terminals run ( i think anyways) a split flex board, the flex board is where you start when hired on, being split means the is a l/h flex , and a city flex, smaller terminals generally only run a single flex board, which means a person will bounce around somewhat, especially in the slower months, you are correct in the being alot of compalining , but if you look through the forums, you will see it isnt just con-way drivers, this place gives some a place to vent i suppose.
I have been with the company some over 10 years, I really have no intention of going anywhere else, as a rule, I really think everything is pretty simular not matter where you are at, there is always going to be complainers no matter where a person works, we are home everyday, and honestly once at top scale a city driver can expect to gross 50,000 plus, and a L/H driver will do 75,000 easy, so yes the money is good, beats any job I ever had before, driving or non driving.
next what ESL stands for is extended service lanes, those are lanes that are over what one person can log for drive time, so they run teams on them, they are also home everyday, but they split the driving, one drives to, and the other drives from
the reship invironment moves very fast, but dont let that scare you, everyone has a learnign curve, and after awhile what we do will just be second nature to you, it can seem overwhelming at first for sure, but dont let it rattle you.
sterling seems to be the tractor of choice, I have seen one International they were testing, but heard that didnt work out well, I dont forsee them switching to anything other than sterling, eventually they will all be logoed with the con-way blue, unless the tractor is near retirement, and in that case they arnt re decaling them, if you notice there are 2 different types of tractors in the yard, some with full air dams , some without, the ones without, are what they refer to as a light duty, used mostly for city work, although on occasion they do run short L/H runs also, and then the full air dam trucks are heavys, which run L/H and also city work, hope this helps somewhat, always willing to help when I can, let me know if I can be of further help