XPO | Reality Check

Rat

TB Veteran
Credits
From another thread...

Everyone needs to TELL HOW THEY TRULY FEEL ABOUT HOW THINGS ARE GOING....Mgmt BETTER LISTEN......BETTER DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.....They BETTER remember that EFCA could be a REALITY.

Do they REALLY want service centers to go belly up?? There are many drivers who are looking forward to the passing of EFCA I can understand why but.......NO, that isn't the answer to make Con-Way great again.....what is the answer is to make CON-WAY the best LTL Company to work for......treat their customers and employees VERY WELL.

I am HOPING for the better here because I HOPE and THINK that Labrie wants that and the surveys will be his backup to take some serious action.

The last paragraph of this post may be the revealing answer. John L. may be behind the surveys. The Kenexa organizations reputation is impeccable.

I have a sneaking suspicion that John is fighting an uphill battle...after all his boss is the wiz kid of "Con-way Now"...and we all know what a raging success that was...certainly qualifies one to be CEO...does it not???

I have come to the conclusion that Doug S. is a moron...similar in rank and qualifications to Bill. Z of YRC. Out of touch and really don't give a damn about their employees...just their bonuses. All they care about is appeaing the BODs...you and I are not even an afterthought!

Next week is the "Keep the Dream Alive" circus...

Well here is the reality check...

Con-Way corporate has successfully managed to kill the morale of one of the best LTL companies in the biz...we have no union...we have no mother corporation to bail us out...all we have is each other.

There is now no morale wishing for the continuity for the company...only those wishing to get the hell out while the getting is good(?)..

And I am one of those individuals.

Under the current corporate leadership, Con-Way will never be what it once was...

If you are wondering where you are headed think the UPS package model...that is what they are after...a gestapo like management model where you are under ther microscope on a constant basis...

Bottom line is...find someting else to do...let this company die on the vine as they are so intent on doing...

Rumor has it that YRC will never be the same company they once were...

Neither will Con-Way.

Rat

im interested in your suspicions about mr John L.

According to an alledged conspiracy, we have a president in the past who was gotten rid of for going against the grain.

This might be different though.

Hopfully these surveys mean something because i am sure there won't be one positive one and they should sink some much needeed sense in to the thick headed as@@#$@ in corporate..as for morale gos i don't think there is one happy person at my sic..everybody is looking for a way out and a lot people are going to leave i know a couple of guys that had some promising news ..they are just waiting for a phone call...i to am looking for a way out and when i find i'm gone..they need to focus on moving freight and the good job the workers do not on the bs they focus on!!!!!

As for ups i know alot of guys that work for package and yes there is bs there to but not as much as con-way... They make almost $30 hr over $4000 a month pension great medical beneifts that hourly workers don't pay for(unlike cignas crappy coverage)they are not complaining... Con-way should take page or two out of thier book

come on people do you think they will do anything with these surveys except shred them all they are doing with this exercise is to make it look like they care. The only way conway is going to get the message is to back them into a corner if you know what i mean.

im interested in your suspicions about mr John L.

According to an alledged conspiracy, we have a president in the past who was gotten rid of for going against the grain.

This might be different though.

Well here the rub in all this...

I have no faith in Doug S as a corporate leader. The recent 'enhancements' are proof of his lack of understanding about the reality of the world you and I live in.

I also have no faith in the BODs either...too many stuffed shirts with no understanding of what effects their decisions have on the lives of the people that work in the Con-Way family of companies...and I seriously doubt it is even a concern.

Moving on...

I don't personally know John L. I met him once at our barn when all the 'leaders' were instructed to go and explain the enhancements of late. I did have a small one on one with him. Any question asked of him was answered. There was no dancing around the issue...just plain answers. We actually had the same question asked three different ways. And he answered the questions in the manner they were asked...highlighting any points as needed. A very patient man in this regard. Moreso than I would have been.

There was none of the old and tired I am the boss nonsense...you know what I mean...that condescending self-righteous attitude of superiority that so many is his position have (think the last president and you will know what I mean). The man looks you in the eye and talks to you as a peer...someone on the same page as you...someone that worries about his family and future as much as you or I do.

And the man is no dummy...very intelligent...very eloquent but doesn't seem to have a bone of superiority in his being. And most people of that stature don't...they know who they are and don't feel the need to flaunt it. I am comfortable with John in his position...

However if we lose him for any reason...head for the nearest exit. Doug and Co. have no clue on how to successfully handle this company in this economy...and have very unremarkably demonstrated as much. It is my opinion that for the time being the only thing saving your @ss and mine with this company is John...left to Doug and Co. we're screwed...more so than normal (if you can call this normal).

I recently made the statement that John was recruited by Jerry D. and was asked (by a Mod) how I knew this...I know the individual who originally hired John and all the background associated with it...beyond that I will say nothing as it would be TMI...you can take my word for it or not...that is completely up to you...

If you ever get a chance to meet the man you will understand what I am talking about...but until you do all this is just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

As far as going against the grain...he is.

He has to play the game of corporate politics and networking that you and I know little or nothing about. He walks a precarious line...just between having his vision and maintaining the vision of his superiors. Not a place I care to be. Like I said earlier I don't personally know the man...but would like to...just to pick his brain...what makes him tick...what he likes to do in his spare time...what it was like to study overseas...

I am thinking, if he is given half a chance, he may just have the vision to bring Con-Way Freight back to a place that it once was...not that we are ever going to be the Jerry D. company...but something close to initial vision.

Time and politics will tell...can he survive the idiocy of the talking corporate heads???..dunno...but I hope so!

Tomorrow starts the KTDA circus and you will be getting a survey of some kind...

If you have never believed anything I have ever said here and even if you think I am an idiot...fill out the survey honestly and as truthfully as you can...hold nothing back...don't pencil whip it because you think nothing willl ever come of it as in the surveys past...don't throw it away because you feel it is meaningless...I am going to tell the idiots just how I feel and and how they screwed the very people who helped build this company...and I am (for the first time) signing my name, my employee number and my SIC to the survery.

The company doing the compilation is Kenexa...Google them and discover who they are and what they do. You will discover they do it very well. This just may be your only chance to make a significant difference in your future...we'll see. BoxBoss said he has seen the survey and it is different from those in the past.

Personally I have had enough of the LTL biz...but until something else comes along this is what I have...and I will do what I can to make it as successful as I can.

Hopefully you will do the same!

Rat:shift:

Tomorrow starts the KTDA circus and you will be getting a survey of some kind...

Personally I have had enough of the LTL biz...but until something else comes along this is what I have...and I will do what I can to make it as successful as I can.

Hopefully you will do the same!

Rat....that was the most well thought out, intelligent, and thought provoking post I have read from you, in the time I have been a member. And I can honestly say, that after 16yrs at C/W, I feel exactly the same. Good Job and if I ever figure out how to do the "GREENIE" thing, I will send them your way.

Rat....that was the most well thought out, intelligent, and thought provoking post I have read from you, in the time I have been a member. And I can honestly say, that after 16yrs at C/W, I feel exactly the same. Good Job and if I ever figure out how to do the "GREENIE" thing, I will send them your way.

Well thank you...coming from you that means alot!!!...sincerely!

Look...bottom line is this...

I don't want anything bad to happen to Con-Way...quite the opposite actually...I only hope for the best.

My old barn closed and by the grace of God I was the last person eligible to transfer...some folks ahead of me took the severance package (three to be exact)...I now have a 72 mile one way drive to work...and it sux and yes I am pissed...but it is what it is...

And to be blunt..I am tired...and apprehensive of whatever the next enhancement may be...one can only endure so much!

But thanx for the kind words...you have no idea what they mean to me....

Rat :clap:

PS...I have two very close friends of mine who are CFIs...trying to get me into it...may just to have to do it this year.

PS...I have two very close friends of mine who are CFIs...trying to get me into it...may just to have to do it this year.

Were it that I was just a smidgen younger than I am, I might be so inclined myself. They don't seem to get home all that often however, otherwise, probably not a bad choice, given the current state of our industry.

come on people do you think they will do anything with these surveys except shred them all they are doing with this exercise is to make it look like they care. The only way conway is going to get the message is to back them into a corner if you know what i mean.
No I am betting I will hear 85% of the employees are happy with the wages.( Even with the cut) Local management is fair.........and so on. Here`s another idea on how to save some green. Quit taking ths survey, and then lying on the results. Save the money your wasting on this phony study to hit that 95 O/R:Flame-On:

No I am betting I will hear 85% of the employees are happy with the wages.( Even with the cut) Local management is fair.........and so on. Here`s another idea on how to save some green. Quit taking ths survey, and then lying on the results. Save the money your wasting on this phony study to hit that 95 O/R:Flame-On:

Is there some reason that local management cannot be considered as fair, even with the cuts..??

Is there some reason that local management cannot be considered as fair, even with the cuts..??

No, I am betting you will be a little disappointed in your assessment when the results come out. I am going to predict this survey was a 'no pencil whip' affair. After all the BS in last six months and at the rapid rate in which it came people aren't going to be so quick to forget...

Keep in mind all the 'enhancements' we have had to endure...some of them completely assinine. Con-Way got no blank check of approval from me...I told it like it was...pulled no punches. I am not normally one for surveys...too much anonymity for my taste...I am more of a face to face person...just one of my faults. But this time (as opposed to surveys past) I actually read and honestly answered the questions. To be more precise...this time I paid attention.

There is way too much at stake to simply blow this off. And for the time being this my livelihood...and I will do what is necessary to protect it. I am not about to tell this company what I think they want to hear...nope...ain't happening! And hopefully they will get the message...perhaps John can show this to the "Doug" and the genius group known as the BODs and fully illustrate the moronic handling of the people who make things happen in this company.

I am thinking Con-Way is in for a shock...much more than they anticipated. Dougie and the boys have absolutely no idea what is happening right under their noses. They are so far out of touch with you and I that it is pathetic. They have no idea that right under their corporate noses there is a 'get the hell out' movement...by the very ones who were here from the outset. I am talking twenty plus year people...they have had enough...been 'enhanced' one too many times. And right under their collective noses is an organized labor movement...very hush hush...for fear of retaliation...but nonetheless it is there.

I for one don't want it...but the majority rules. But what happens when the economy gets better and there is mass exodus (which may very well happen!) and Con-Way hires new blood...people who weren't here from the beginning? And then they get 'enhanced'...the newer generation of folks only see one 'big picture'...them! Time may tell.

As far as local management...I am going to chime in on this. No offense Box...but I have probably one of the best SCMs in the system...and the FOSs and CSRs are worth their weight...my problem is not with local management...nor even Con-Way Freight management...but with the corporate losers in AA.

My old Biz Ad professor (who BTW was an MBA) made this statement...

"Some of you here will go one to own your own business...remember this one thing...it is the people who work for you that got you to where you are. You have more responsibility to them as an employer than they do to you as an employee."

This 'prof' was a 27 year old who owned seven nursing homes amongst other endeavors and by the age of 25 was a millionaire...nobody's dummy!

Something Dougie and the boys need to learn.

No, I am betting you will be a little disappointed in your assessment when the results come out. I am going to predict this survey was a 'no pencil whip' affair. After all the BS in last six months and at the rapid rate in which it came people aren't going to be so quick to forget...

Keep in mind all the 'enhancements' we have had to endure...some of them completely assinine. Con-Way got no blank check of approval from me...I told it like it was...pulled no punches. I am not normally one for surveys...too much anonymity for my taste...I am more of a face to face person...just one of my faults. But his time (as opposed to surveys past) I actually read and honestly answered the questions. To be more precise...this time I paid attention.

There is way too much at stake to simply blow this off. And for the time being this my livelihood...and I will do what is necessary to protect it. I am not about to tell this company what I think they want to hear...nope...ain't happening! And hopefully they will get the message...perhaps John can show this to the "Doug" and the genius group known as the BODs and fully illustrate the moronic handling of the people who make things happen in this company.

I am thinking Con-Way is in for a shock...much more than they anticipated. Dougie and the boys have absolutely no idea what is happening right under their noses. They are so far out of touch with you and I that it is pathetic. They have no idea that right under their corporate noses there is 'get the hell out' movement...by the very ones who were here from the outset. I am talking twenty plus year people...they have had enough...been 'enhanced' one too many times. And right under their collective noses is an organized labor movement...very hush hush...for fear of retaliation...but nonetheless it is there.

I for one don't want it...but the majority rules. But what happens when the economy gets better and there is mass exodus (which may very well happen!) and Con-Way hires new blood...people who weren't here from the beginning? And then they get 'enhanced'...the newer generation of folks only see one 'big picture'...them! Time may tell.

As far as local management...I am going to chime in on this. No offense Box...but I have probably one of the best SCMs in the system...and the FOSs and CSRs are worth their weight...my problem is not with local management...nor even Con-Way Freight management...but with the corporate losers in AA.

My old Biz Ad professor (who BTW was an MBA) made this statement...

"Some of you here will go one to own your own business...remember this one thing...it is the people who work for you that got you to where you are. You have more responsibility to them as an employer than they do to you as an employee."

This 'prof' was a 27 year old who owned seven nursing homes amongst other endeavors and by the age of 25 was a millionaire...nobody's dummy!

Something Dougie and the boys need to learn.

that answered my question...

Local management...

From what I have been reading in these forums there really doesn't seem to a problem with local management.

It's the people in the "Ivory Tower" that most of the front line people seem to feel are out of touch with the people who have made Con-Way (DSR's. CSR's......etc).

I just hope that the survey will open some eyes and ears in Ann Arbor and Portland. Would like to see the money in my Con-Way 401K get back to at least the level it was at when I "left" 7 months ago.

I'm not sure that will happen but I am still optimistic.