TForce | Reality check

What i never understood was why UPS got rid of most of our core business the 2nd bid in 2006, right after the brand launch.... our Next day and 2nd day freight. then Oak Harbor, and R&L exploded here. And im sure Estes took a little also.
UPS got exactly what they wanted out of the OVNT/UPSF purchase. It was never about being profitable in the freight business.

That is correct. As I work at an end of line terminal, the reasoning is that our multiple million mile trucks cost too much in maintenance. They are replacing from the bottom up, instead of us always waiting for sloppy seconds (and thirds) that we are use to getting.

But you won't be getting any of those anytime soon either cos KW is behind because of chip shortages........

Like Alain said, it's 2021, not 2008........

Read the last sentence again.....

I havent't read all the threads that pertain to what's going on. Need to as it seems to be getting interesting. Having said that, two replies beg me to ask a question and post a observation. What did UPS really expect from the Overnite buy ? Further name brand visabilty ? A tool to gain more parcel business. Who would thet have gotten that from
anyway ? Fedex ? Nah. What was the grass roots believed business model of the buy?

My comment, this does not just represent the time since TF, but over a period of time I saw less and less of UPSF on the local streets. Still see South Eastern every day. R&L , Estes sometimes. Wilson use to be around all the time but since Central they have just about disappeared.

If UPSF gave up the Next day and Second day ? If true. That would appear to be a Long Haul idea that the old Roadway had of nothing less than 500 miles and that was what they told customers.

Long before USPS buy , when I drove, their drivers would tell me how they wanted to get in the freight business and buy Overnite. Something was cooking years before they got it. Ego ?

No offense to any remarks intended. Just a sad history that baffles me.

I havent't read all the threads that pertain to what's going on. Need to as it seems to be getting interesting. Having said that, two replies beg me to ask a question and post a observation. What did UPS really expect from the Overnite buy ? Further name brand visabilty ? A tool to gain more parcel business. Who would thet have gotten that from
anyway ? Fedex ? Nah. What was the grass roots believed business model of the buy?

My comment, this does not just represent the time since TF, but over a period of time I saw less and less of UPSF on the local streets. Still see South Eastern every day. R&L , Estes sometimes. Wilson use to be around all the time but since Central they have just about disappeared.

If UPSF gave up the Next day and Second day ? If true. That would appear to be a Long Haul idea that the old Roadway had of nothing less than 500 miles and that was what they told customers.

Long before USPS buy , when I drove, their drivers would tell me how they wanted to get in the freight business and buy Overnite. Something was cooking years before they got it. Ego ?

No offense to any remarks intended. Just a sad history that baffles me.
I believe UPS bought Overnite with the intent on turning it into a viable part of their business, but, they failed to foresee a few problems.
Create a "one stop shop" for all your shipping needs. IMHO they thought the LTL industry would conform to them, "UPS is here, come save us from the savages". Didn't happen, they were now a bit player in a well established industry, and they couldn't understand that.
When the little brown truck rolls up people run toward it, when the big brown truck gets there you were just next in line. That drove them ape :crap:....
Their management style didn't translate well into LTL, strictly stops based, that was a disaster. Throwing two boxes on a porch is much different than delivering two pallets to schools, house, mall, etc. and they never comprehended that.
I could go on, but that is my opinion in a nutshell, They were in a spot they weren't used to, and when an opportunity to save face came along they took it.
They failed us, they never could adapt the UPS mentality to the LTL division and used it as a tool to sweeten the small pack pot.
They also got out of the Teamster retirement fund by offering us up to the Union.

IMO, it was all about the cspf liability. Hoffa traded away ups liability for a lump sum payment to the cspf and 10000 new dues paying members.
Now 15 years later, ups sells the shell company for a loss, and doesn't have to pay anything to the cspf.
The kicker is that the pension funds were bailed out this past January.
In the long run Ups lost on all issues. Spent hundreds on millions on a ltl model that never worked well, billions to the cspf.
Who won out?
The Teamsters, the workers, and the retired, and of course trans force.

IMO, it was all about the cspf liability. Hoffa traded away ups liability for a lump sum payment to the cspf and 10000 new dues paying members.
Now 15 years later, ups sells the shell company for a loss, and doesn't have to pay anything to the cspf.
In the long run Ups lost on all issues. Spent hundreds on millions on a ltl model that never worked well, billions to the cspf.
Who won out?
Winner winner, chicken dinner,.......

If ALL they got out of freight was the buyout of central states,...They probably saved billions.

I believe UPS bought Overnite with the intent on turning it into a viable part of their business, but, they failed to foresee a few problems.
Create a "one stop shop" for all your shipping needs. IMHO they thought the LTL industry would conform to them, "UPS is here, come save us from the savages". Didn't happen, they were now a bit player in a well established industry, and they couldn't understand that.
When the little brown truck rolls up people run toward it, when the big brown truck gets there you were just next in line. That drove them ape :crap:....
Their management style didn't translate well into LTL, strictly stops based, that was a disaster. Throwing two boxes on a porch is much different than delivering two pallets to schools, house, mall, etc. and they never comprehended that.
I could go on, but that is my opinion in a nutshell, They were in a spot they weren't used to, and when an opportunity to save face came along they took it.
They failed us, they never could adapt the UPS mentality to the LTL division and used it as a tool to sweeten the small pack pot.
They also got out of the Teamster retirement fund by offering us up to the Union.
Me thinks you hit nail on the head. Arrogance. Outsider looking in and saying we know better. O.K. didn't happen.

Honestly, I really know nothing about TF. Thinking about somethings yesterday made me optimistic . Also believing that there will be pain. It appears that UPS really opened the books to TF about customers , how they ran the Freight arm etc. before TF made a offer. They knew what they were going to do to turn it around.

They also have some high expectations. If I read right they think they can get the Claims ratio to .25 ! That would be almost unheard of. The only way to do that is being very selective of what and who they service. Scratch the junk freight with the high claims opportunity. Training and accountablity to those that handle the freight. Willing to give up market share for what loses money. To me that should have been a long time ago in the industry. So far so good.

Then I thought about the almost immediate O/R improvement. Didn't TF take on some Contracts that married to UPSF /UPS for 2 or 3 years? Which means TF is stuck with some of it. Hmm. I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Remember the 15 day strike back in 1997? UPS demanded to withdraw out of the Central States Pension plan and the union did not want anything to do with it. Fast forward to the purchase agreement of OVNT/UPSF , UPS got what they wanted out of UPSF.

Who won out?

So this is one of hoffs goons that is responsable for the contract we have and BRAGS about it???? We are NO WHERE near the highest paid in the industry,............This clown SOLD US down the river!!!
Go to YouTube.com search Kevin mccaffrey and you will see him and the gang at several employers. I think they took the yrc one down. I tweeted that one to senator schumer

Go to YouTube.com search Kevin mccaffrey and you will see him and the gang at several employers. I think they took the yrc one down. I tweeted that one to senator schumer
Radio talk show host jay Oliver 631 764 2463 Long Island big Kevin fan truckers et al should present to him the other side of Suffolk county legislator trustee local president etc
Express yourselves
It is election time
Covid caused oTB employees to lose right to vote when we were out of work