Holland | Recent CDL grad (Chicagoland) with a question

Slayerfan84

TB Lurker
Credits
I just got my CDL A class last Wednesday. I got my doubles, triples, tanker and hazmat that Friday. This week so far I will have an interview with YRC for P&D and later this week with Holland for Line Haul.

I figured Union would be a good thing because I have zero saved for retirement. I'm 34 so maybe getting a pension and a 401k would be a good thing.

I know a trainer from Holland who says Linehaul is a good place to start out of trucking school. Being that there is less stress as far as: a ton of backing in, the city of Chicago, and day driving. He also says the money is far better in line haul.

I'm married with a 2 and 1 year old at home. Wife works fulltime. Line haul maybe detrimental to the family life right?

Thanks for any advice

I just got my CDL A class last Wednesday. I got my doubles, triples, tanker and hazmat that Friday. This week so far I will have an interview with YRC for P&D and later this week with Holland for Line Haul.

I figured Union would be a good thing because I have zero saved for retirement. I'm 34 so maybe getting a pension and a 401k would be a good thing.

I know a trainer from Holland who says Linehaul is a good place to start out of trucking school. Being that there is less stress as far as: a ton of backing in, the city of Chicago, and day driving. He also says the money is far better in line haul.

I'm married with a 2 and 1 year old at home. Wife works fulltime. Line haul maybe detrimental to the family life right?

Thanks for any advice
From what I understand with Holland, you may be gone out in the system for the week as a new hire. Holland is still a good company. With wife working and small kids, might not be the best choice right now. City can be challenging too, but you get home daily. Yes, the guy probably is correct. You would probably make more on the road, will also work most likely nights. Once you learn different areas of city routes it becomes easier. If you know the peddle area of town where the terminal is located, that will help big time in locating places, and establishing which stops to make first and later on. As far as pension, I am assuming you would be 705, or 710,or suburban, which are at least in better shape than central states pension fund. Myself if I was you, I would take city, maybe even city with Holland, but if you can do the night driving, it may work better for you, but think about what your wife would want too... Better ask her also.

From what I understand with Holland, you may be gone out in the system for the week as a new hire. Holland is still a good company. With wife working and small kids, might not be the best choice right now. City can be challenging too, but you get home daily. Yes, the guy probably is correct. You would probably make more on the road, will also work most likely nights. Once you learn different areas of city routes it becomes easier. If you know the peddle area of town where the terminal is located, that will help big time in locating places, and establishing which stops to make first and later on. As far as pension, I am assuming you would be 705, or 710,or suburban, which are at least in better shape than central states pension fund. Myself if I was you, I would take city, maybe even city with Holland, but if you can do the night driving, it may work better for you, but think about what your wife would want too... Better ask her also.
My source at Holland says there is no city positions available right now so my only choice would be Linehaul. I do have an interview with YRC today for a P&D position so my two possibilities currently, are linehaul for Holland and P&D with YRC.

My source at Holland also states P&D guys get laid off a heck of a lot more then Linehaul. Whether it's Holland or YRC.

My source at Holland says there is no city positions available right now so my only choice would be Linehaul. I do have an interview with YRC today for a P&D position so my two possibilities currently, are linehaul for Holland and P&D with YRC.

My source at Holland also states P&D guys get laid off a heck of a lot more then Linehaul. Whether it's Holland or YRC.
Well. You may have answered your own question then...good luck to you.

Why work for a company where you work 4 years to get 1 full year of pension retirement. ABF pays the full rate for pension & has a give back 7.5 % on the contract wages. Spent 18 years there. They did right by me. Holland is under the YRC umbrella. Holland goes as YRC goes. von.

Why work for a company where you work 4 years to get 1 full year of pension retirement. ABF pays the full rate for pension & has a give back 7.5 % on the contract wages. Spent 18 years there. They did right by me. Holland is under the YRC umbrella. Holland goes as YRC goes. von.

But, did you get a bomber jacket?