Recent Negotiations

Amen to shifterknob. if the employees at OAKH roll over on this contract the emploees have no future. Talk to some of the retiree's and see what your current pension is worth. Not to mention a health plan that allows you to fix what is broken without worrying whether you can afford it or not. That by it's self is worth a hugh raise that you will spent and when the s--- hits the fan you have nothing to backyou up.

To be specific....401K's are a good idea for a suppliment only to a pension or other form of retirement. But oak harbors alone will put you in the mcdonalds drive thru when your an old fart to make ends meet. When the plan is out of your money its OUT! Not to mention the average person will not be able to draw without penalties until after 60 and it will last a mex of about 10 years. Teamsters is fully funded and will pay you till you DIE. That is unless employers keep getting their way and spineless employees keep opting to go non union. Gotta remember this IS a fight. Take a look at the coal miners when they started to organize unions, they actually fought a war with thousands of organized workers vs. the hired henchmen of the big non-organized southern coal employers. Hundreds of men DIED to protect their rights to fair wages and benifits. The company does not believe in providing what we need to live. By simply checking the ballot and turning it in we are keeping the standards that were forged in blood by previous generations to protect the common man from being taken advantage of.

Well I dont know any of you personally. I am a Teamster I dont Drive for Oak Harbor my huband does and has no rep. at the yard he is out of guys he works with dont know any better. But there benifits suck thankfully we have my Teamster benifits to take care of us because the Vanderpols wont I dont know what god they listen too but I see them as a couple of hippocrits!!!

The VP's sure seem to be a couple of hypocrites. They preach family, god and good relations to others. The problem is that they don't practise what they preach. They act like a couple of kids who had their lunch money stolen from the previous school year and can't seem to move on and realize this is a new school year. They have the most liberal contract in freight to work with and that is not good enough. They just want more and more. That mentallity with them has to change.

Well I dont know any of you personally. I am a Teamster I dont Drive for Oak Harbor my huband does and has no rep. at the yard he is out of guys he works with dont know any better. But there benifits suck thankfully we have my Teamster benifits to take care of us because the Vanderpols wont I dont know what god they listen too but I see them as a couple of hippocrits!!!

If you are in CA as your profile shows, he doesn't have any representation because they are not union there. The guys that are union don't seem to care enough about the terminals in the south to put card check language into the agreement, even though it would add strength to their cause as well. No body cares about the bigger fight, no one cares about the group, its everyone for themselves. Thats the only problem here and its too bad..... The VP's and OHFL have made a mockery of what a Teamster freight company should be.

Though card check is better it has now become a shambles as well. No longer is it 50% + 1. Now, because of the recent Dana Corp. decision the company must post a notice from the NLRB that states that employees have signed cards and reached 50% + 1 and that posting must remain up for 45 days. If the employees can then gather 30% of the employees to sign a petition saying they do not want the union, it goes to a vote just like card check is not even there. During the 45 day window another union can come in and claim jurisdiction as well.

The problem with getting card check into the contract is the company has to agree to it. From the way it sounds they do not want to agree to anything at this point. With Card check not being a mandatory subject of bargaining you can't strike them over that issue. It must be a few items bunched together.

"...The guys that are union don't seem to care enough about the terminals in the south to put card check language into the agreement, even though it would add strength to their cause as well. No body cares about the bigger fight, no one cares about the group, its everyone for themselves. Thats the only problem here and its too bad..."

We don't care enough to put card-check in?

We don't?

Us?

Oh, well, jeez... let me just wave a magic wand and make that happen. I didn't realize that was all it took.

Silly me.

Hey, while you're giving us such enlightened advice about the OHFL contract and how to fix our little boo-boos, perhaps you can explain how it is your own fellow NMFA workers voted to allow $14 casual dockworkers and you now have to work a hundred hours a month to get your benefits (OHFL drivers only have to work 40 hours a month)?

Do you get my point? You say we don't care enough about our California brothers to vote down any contract offer that doesn't have card-check, but you NMFA guys just voted in a significantly watered-down NMFA, which will undoubtedly have negative effects on our own contract negotiations.

Hmmm, did you just smell what I smelled? I just caught a whiff of hypocrisy is in the air...:biglaugh:

We don't care enough to put card-check in?

We don't?

Us?

Oh, well, jeez... let me just wave a magic wand and make that happen. I didn't realize that was all it took.

Silly me.

Hey, while you're giving us such enlightened advice about the OHFL contract and how to fix our little boo-boos, perhaps you can explain how it is your own fellow NMFA workers voted to allow $14 casual dockworkers and you now have to work a hundred hours a month to get your benefits (OHFL drivers only have to work 40 hours a month)?

Do you get my point? You say we don't care enough about our California brothers to vote down any contract offer that doesn't have card-check, but you NMFA guys just voted in a significantly watered-down NMFA, which will undoubtedly have negative effects on our own contract negotiations.

Hmmm, did you just smell what I smelled? I just caught a whiff of hypocrisy is in the air...:biglaugh:

Whatever, more to the point it would be a positive accomplishment if card check language were in the OHFL agreement, it doesn't seem like a very big stretch, considering more recently it has basically become standard in freight contracts.

I think it would be best if you put that wand away:hide:. Since I didn't draft the contract proposal, I wouldn't really know the circumstance under which the $14 casuals came to be a part of the proposal I don't know why you would assume that I think this is constructive? Do you really think if we were to compare the OHFL and the NMFA tic for tac the conclusion would be the OHFL contract is favorable? Water down your negotiations, :hysterical: good one! Whats your excuse for the last twenty years of contracts? I understand the point you are trying to make, but, to me it's comparing apples to Lunar Rovers, in that, a card check for OHFL would be the unionized arm reaching out to give others in your organization a voice. In the case of our contract, your negotiations should have been completed prior to ratification of the NMFA anyway. If you are insinuating that we somehow sold you guys short I guess everyones looking for someone to blame, or to excuse their inability to do their jobs. Honestly, I'm sorry it went down like this more than you can know.

I don't think you have any California brothers yet, and I don't expect you to gain any. If a card check is not a priority I think that pretty much makes my point. It's your contract it can say what you want it to, and you can vote it down if it doesn't. For the future I see 35 cant raises and the VP's will give you back what you already had.... For now.

I think maybe ya all should just shut the company down or let them screw you like you have alway's done.Either way it will alway's be the same,The VP's say jump and the teamster's say how high ya want us.Im glad i woke up and realized that working at OHFL and being a teamster wernt that important to me in this life.........There is so much more to life than being a teamster and working for a company that only want's to screw you out of every penny you worked for.

Not all of us have that option, JR. I'm glad you are happy where you ended up, but some of us are still in the fight. Striking is the final option and will be the end of OHFL, but we aren't going to pull the trigger unless all other options are exhausted...

shifter.......it's nice to know you still remember who i am.And maybe it's not an option for everyone,it was my option and i could not have gotten out of there fast enough.So after driving past the auburn terminal recently and seeing how it's locked up like fort knox im thinking why would anyone want to work there.....the crap that they are putting every employee thru has not got to be worth the money,it sure was not for me,by the way money is not everything........yes it help's life go around but at what cost.I just dont think ohfl is worth loseing everything else in the process just to earn a few extra points here or there.

There is so much more to life than being a teamster and working for a company that only want's to screw you out of every penny you worked for.

I am very glad that you have achieved happiness through your work, and I can appreciate your distaste for Oak Harbor, probably as much as anyone. But, my union, thats another story altogether, I can understand feeling disenfranchised as I have felt that way myself, labor as a whole is so much more important than one jackass BA or a corrupt union official.

Labor is such a pure cause, it is the one thing that has at least attempted to keep corporate greed at bay for all these years. It's about respect, it's about realizing the worth of one's self, should I have to pay a co-pay for the medical care that treats my f-ed up back, that I acquired humping around Oak Harbors freight, freight that they haul for profit? Trying, tedious, back straining, work at a fast pace, around chemicals and dangerous equipment spewing exhaust and dust in my face. Should I do that for less? Should someone sitting in a office getting a salary recognize my work? Hell yes.

Without unions all you can do is beg. Oak Harbors owners are piles, we all know that. The Teamsters will shut them down if they have to, I am confident of that, and thankful as well.

I am very glad that you have achieved happiness through your work, and I can appreciate your distaste for Oak Harbor, probably as much as anyone. But, my union, thats another story altogether, I can understand feeling disenfranchised as I have felt that way myself, labor as a whole is so much more important than one jackass BA or a corrupt union official.

Labor is such a pure cause, it is the one thing that has at least attempted to keep corporate greed at bay for all these years. It's about respect, it's about realizing the worth of one's self, should I have to pay a co-pay for the medical care that treats my f-ed up back, that I acquired humping around Oak Harbors freight, freight that they haul for profit? Trying, tedious, back straining, work at a fast pace, around chemicals and dangerous equipment spewing exhaust and dust in my face. Should I do that for less? Should someone sitting in a office getting a salary recognize my work? Hell yes.

Without unions all you can do is beg. Oak Harbors owners are piles, we all know that. The Teamsters will shut them down if they have to, I am confident of that, and thankful as well.

Hey Bro., You are my frickin hero!!! I tried to add to your reputation, but they wouldn't allow me. So I will say it in a post. It is guys and girls such as yourself who have built this industry into the descent profession that it is. Some will read your posts and feel they are extreme. But I assure all who read this, that if it wasn't for this kind of guy (on our side) we would be in the same tax bracket with those who are considered below poverty standards. Elvis out....:1036316054:

you NMFA guys just voted in a significantly watered-down NMFA, which will undoubtedly have negative effects on our own contract negotiations.

That "yes vote" campaign was on well before Tom or any other S/T even got to Washington D.C. The IBT was trying to strong-arm this thing through, and they were going to steam-roll over anyone who tried to be a roadblock.
Well, believe what you will. It's not that the vote will reflect poorly on Tom, it will reflect poorly on us all, with repercussions to follow.
One more yes vote at the two-man committee would have made no difference at all in the final outcome, as has the fact that our local voted it down. And it's real easy for a local like 206 to make an empty gesture, since they have nothing at stake anyhow.

You can't have it both ways, either I am personally responsible for the the outcome of the NMFA contract, or its all the Intl's fault, or its the members fault. You make fun of the one delegate that stood up for the members, then you accuse the membership of watering down your contract negotiations. Help me please, am I the only one who sees how ridiculous that is?

I thought it was really sneaky that they did not ell ABF employee's why they were voting on a contract where they weren't named and all of a sudden it was their contract too. Something wasn't right

Whats really tricky is the COLA that we qualify for this year but apparently for some unknown reason we don't get. Car haul division gets it and freight does not, even though it's in the contract.
Read about it here; Will You Get a Cost of Living Raise? | Teamsters for a Democratic Union

You can say what you want about the TDU, I am not a member, but I believe the union has no excuse for the lack of free flowing information, and when it comes to early information on contracts a vote counts they are a most valuable source of information. Is their some reason why a rank and file member cannot send a email to the IBT? Honestly, you can email the president of the US.

even tho the contract doesn't effect me much because I work in the office so we are only concered about the raises and pension it sounds like the agreement is not very user friendly..

Well for all those who didn't attend sunday's meeting at the hall and if the rumors havent hit you at work then read here. The company is making no reasonable attempt to provide a last offer to the union. It was originally set for friday the 2nd, then by sunday the 4th, now it is set for friday the 16th. Although the union had made dozens of language changes in favor of the company, the company refused to budge on 401k, medical, sick, strike clauses, and various other language. Now the rumor circulating is that the company will retain the pension, however, medical would stay the same...good plan. Just go ahead and change that medical anytime you want and then well snag up your pension next contract, oh and btw, next time you wont be able to strike cause you voted a no strike clause in...we would have a lot of leverage-yeah right. With a no strike clause we would go from "we want this" to "what can you give us, please, please, please, ok...i guess we can take that cause we have no leverage" :Bondage:One small step for busting the union. Long story short, they aren't negotiating, why should we anymore. Stop these freaking games, lets just go out and get it done. Hope everyone took the advice of cleaning out your personal belongings, also what was stated..if we are locked out we ARE intitled to unemployment benifits, if we strike we are NOT. While we are on strike we are STILL employees. TEMPORARY replacements will be removed after a strike as you will fill the position. Sure the strike will hurt both of us, but look at the long term people, its outcome will benifit us, our families, and new terminal's employees and their families. And to the last post about the contract not effecting you cause your in the office, that is very untrue. The contract controls every aspect of your job and protects your job. One thing they were fighting over was termination language...think about that next time you jam the copy machine....could be the last day ol billdo pulls you in his office.:Bondage: And there is my two cents. And to truckinjoe... we really dont care what you think, :silenced:so dont even bother, just keep on truckin dude and well call you a **** every time you roll through oak harbors perfectly and timely built fortress.