ABF | Red Light On Prepass At Scales.

Sumting Wong

TB Lurker
Credits
I have gotten 3 red lights at scales in the last 10 days. I talked to another road driver who got two red lights recently. Is this just a weird coincidence or is anyone else getting more frequent red lights?

I have gotten 3 red lights at scales in the last 10 days. I talked to another road driver who got two red lights recently. Is this just a weird coincidence or is anyone else getting more frequent red lights?
I got one Sunday. Haven’t got one in 3 or 4 months before that.

They like pissing people off having them come in, then get the left lane light, so when slowing down to 15 mph as you go by the scale, you can wave.

If your over the speed limit it goes red to pull you in to slow you down i had a streak of so many reds i was gonna go in the scale house with the pass and ask why do i have this

If your over the speed limit it goes red to pull you in to slow you down i had a streak of so many reds i was gonna go in the scale house with the pass and ask why do i have this
I am doing 66 in a 75 zone. Apparently it is just some weird coincidence that I am getting all of these red lights.

All scales should be closed to limit virus exposure
They were on 380 in Pennsylvania for months, when their opened now it's usually to cite trucks who blow it off. When that happens i stay in the left after i go through because for the next 2 miles them have them pulled over....

They also go by if ABF has been failing inspections lately. If ABF isn't doing any better than O/O expect to get pulled in and grilled.

They also go by if ABF has been failing inspections lately. If ABF isn't doing any better than O/O expect to get pulled in and grilled.
Most of them are brand new freightliners, how would they fail inspection? Some of the trailers are getting old but our computer system takes them out of service when the inspection in due. Lights tires & brakes have never been a issue....

Most of them are brand new freightliners, how would they fail inspection? Some of the trailers are getting old but our computer system takes them out of service when the inspection in due. Lights tires & brakes have never been a issue....
Never say never... Back in the 80's and 90's lights tires and brakes were a BIG issue! The old trailers were a huge pain. Tires were so old the casings were weather-checking from age. It was embarrassing to find a casing that was sun-rotted from age but had been recapped. They used to own their own recapping company, Treadco. Blowouts were a real problem. The brakes in the pre-auto slack adjuster days were a nightmare. I used to run my brakes before I went off Cabbage hill into Pendleton Oregon all the time with triples. Once I saw how bad brake maintenance was, my self confidence demanded I check them every time. It was unbelievable how many slack adjusters I found that were frozen up and couldn't be moved and hadn't been maintained and greased. Loose wheels were also a problem with the old Bud lug nuts. I even made up a trailer light plug that was wired to short the tail lights and clearance lights together so I could "fix" them enroute if needed. A quarter used to work as well, but I kept forgetting to take my quarters back out of the rear trailer light plug socket at the end of the trip, and it ticked me off. I think I bought a lot of hostlers their coffee at break times. I judged that by how glad they were to see me drive into their yards. They'd always wave and then check their watches. NOW there are no problems....

Last edited:
I remember ABF wouldn't pay to activate the prepass transponders in Oregon and Washington, so we always got pulled across the scaless in those states. One night I was going to Seattle and was coming up on the Cle Elum scales in Washington, and the scale was open but the transponder blinked green, and I didn't trust the damn thing so I went thru the scales, and he threw the light on me and pulled me inside. He goes " didn't you see the green light?" I go "Yeah, but I didn't trust it" He goes " get the hell out of here before I run you through the inspection barn" We had a great working relationship with those folks.