Reddaway | Reddaway Reorganization

There is'nt a Terminal in southern California that can accomplish this except maybe San Diego because they are very small. Most local driver's are not off the street till 1900-2000. Now Bring the Freight... Yes, bring it ,Hurry please! :bananalama:

To be fair, I'm talking about a terminal with a total of thirty guys working when in full swing, that's dock a.m./city, city, city/dock p.m., and linehaul. I know in Portland it seems like they're never really done, but at some point you do have to just draw a line in the sand with customers and say "after this time of day, your pickup will not make service. You have to call before x time to make it into our system for today." Before this TM, we were also out until 1900-2000, because that TM wouldn't educate the customers that way. It took a while but we did finally get our customers to understand that they can't be calling pickups in after 1700 and still expect reasonably for us to alway be able to come running and get them into the system. We do what we can but they have to have reasonable expectations too. And yeah, we've still gone galloping out the gate now and again after 1700 to save someone's bacon, but now they understand that as "above and beyond" rather than "reasonable daily service".

It takes time and patience, and there will always be knuckleheads. And again, maybe it was possible for us to do this because we are a smaller terminal. For terminals with 1-2 hour stem times on a significant number of routes, I can see how this would be nearly impossible.

Is this the problem in bigger markets? Getting back to the terminal with your sets once you're done in your area for the day?

Stem times is a great point, I work out of SFV (San Fernando Valley CA)and we have routes that go out as far as Santa Barbara we are talking 2+hours drive back to the terminal on a normal traffic day, no rain or accidents...But your TM sounds like a real proactive guy do you think you can send him on tour to train some manager's down here? :thumbsup:

To be fair, I'm talking about a terminal with a total of thirty guys working when in full swing, that's dock a.m./city, city, city/dock p.m., and linehaul. I know in Portland it seems like they're never really done, but at some point you do have to just draw a line in the sand with customers and say "after this time of day, your pickup will not make service. You have to call before x time to make it into our system for today." Before this TM, we were also out until 1900-2000, because that TM wouldn't educate the customers that way. It took a while but we did finally get our customers to understand that they can't be calling pickups in after 1700 and still expect reasonably for us to alway be able to come running and get them into the system. We do what we can but they have to have reasonable expectations too. And yeah, we've still gone galloping out the gate now and again after 1700 to save someone's bacon, but now they understand that as "above and beyond" rather than "reasonable daily service".

It takes time and patience, and there will always be knuckleheads. And again, maybe it was possible for us to do this because we are a smaller terminal. For terminals with 1-2 hour stem times on a significant number of routes, I can see how this would be nearly impossible.

Is this the problem in bigger markets? Getting back to the terminal with your sets once you're done in your area for the day?
Good point on training the customers to get their frt. ready quicker. I feel that you can train them so they are not running late all of the time. You still will have occasional problems, but if they are trained to be ready earlier, you could get everyone back earlier also. I have addressed this with my TM several times with no visible improvements though. Yet, he complains about our close time. Good point: train the customers.