R&L | Rent-a-Driver

TruckDiver

TB Lurker
Credits
Anybody else seeing these rental type drivers used at their terminal? We've got a couple of them working just about daily doing both L/H and P/D. Just curious if anybody else is seeing them used instead of making a new hire.

These guys are really professional too! Here's an example.

I walked into the breakroom to await my bills and there sat one of these drivers, he was there to do a short L/H run. The man is dressed in slacks, high gloss dress shoes, a button down shirt with a sweater over it and he's wearing a driving hat. If his name were Andrew and he drove a MG convertible, I wouldn't have been at all surprised, he looked the type.

Anyway, as my L/H dispatcher tends to do, he handed myself, "Andrew" and couple of others drivers paperwork to them at the same time. Andy kinda looks at the papers and "asks what do I do with these". Dispatcher tells him to get with me and I'll show him what to do. I sit down to do MY paperwork and tell Andy to watch as I do mine and I'll explain what I'm doing. Well, Andy was too concerned with messing with his cell phone than learning anything, so I finished filling mine out and went to get my placards.

Fast forward 5 mins.

Now as I'm hooking my set, I see Andy about 3 doors down hooking his. I jump out and starting hooking everthing up when I hear "Wummmp Wummp" , Andy is tugging hard on his set, but it isn't moving, I then notice that while he has hooked up the air lines to the lead and rolled up it's landing gear, he hasn't hooked up anything to the rear and it's landing gear are still down. And this idiot is just tugging away at it, completely baffled as to why it won't roll.
I just started chuckling as I continued doing my pre-trip, figured I'd go tell him when I done. So. then as I was finishing taping on my bulk placards, I heard Andys truck shut off, Then I hear him hit the starter. Well, the tractor had timed out on the idle. This "Pro-Driver" didn't even know that you need to turn the key off and wait a minute before re-start. So, there he is, just a cranking away, wearing the starter out. I just shook my head, figured I didn't have the kinda time it was going to take to help this poor soul, and climbed in my truck and drove away.

I've got some more stories about these guys, but tha'll have to wait for another day...........

I don't know what linehaul pays but seen an ad for p/d at 16.20hr and 5yrs to get to 19and change,no o/t. You can go to any temp truck agency and get 18 to 20hr o/t after 8.The old saying you get what you pay for.

Well
we have been using rent drivers for a bit, 1 to 2 a week.
When the new Prez was out here he told us all in the meeting that they would not be using rental drivers anymore!
Well that went out the window the day after he left!
Now were using 4-5 a week!
And the bad thing is, most are complete derelics, there tearing up equipment not writing up or turning in pre-trips and us reguler RL drivers are getting blamed for the damage!
Gotten to the point around here that you NEVER trust what they (R+L) do or say!

We have had the pro source drivers here before,it didn't work out. They are usally not familiar with pups,they get lost and they try to milk the clock. They are a quick fix to a shortage of drivers. The answer is to hire more permanant R&L drivers,we are going to need them in the months to come.

This might sound cruel, but I would like to see Truckdiver start with another story. Pump one or two out a week. Sad to say, I enjoyed reading :popcorn:that lengthy post and chuckled. Alot of the posts lately make me shake my head. Thanks Truckdiver.

Great story TD can't wait to hear more. Sounds like they did away with the "Paramount lease,part-time,casual driver" or what ever you want to call it.. I heard they were using temp service out west guess they are going that route all over now. Or maybe those guys are just really low paid company drivers.... Can't get a answer from WIL... They just said the Paramount program is over. Except for Paramount O/O....:duh: SO CONFUSED!!!!!

Maybe someone with interest in the company is reading these boards daily and will make some changes....or, Maybe we should post these stories on the employee complaint board. Lack of training runs rampant at these terminals.

Maybe someone with interest in the company is reading these boards daily and will make some changes....or, Maybe we should post these stories on the employee complaint board. Lack of training runs rampant at these terminals.

I'd LOVE to see you post some out of the TM post from here for your TM,,,just make sure you have a quality video camera handy. I might even chip a few bucks. :biglaugh:

Hey mechanix...You know that if I would post anything negative that I would be called out immediately. I'm sure the boards are checked frequently. I just take things in stride and hope for the best.

yeah nothing from your location,just few of the other stories. The one about the radiator cap sounds like something he'd do.
It is good to look back now laugh at some of the things he pulled and tried. :biglaugh:

This might sound cruel, but I would like to see Truckdiver start with another story. Pump one or two out a week. Sad to say, I enjoyed reading :popcorn:that lengthy post and chuckled. Alot of the posts lately make me shake my head. Thanks Truckdiver.

Sorry I didn't get back at ya'll earlier, I'll try to write some more if I can get enough time to sit down here and tap one out.

I will give you an update on Andy though..

Apparently the driver he was swapping out with called our terminal that day. He'd been waiting for well over an hour and was curious as to when Andy might arrive. Then after another hour had passed he called back again, this time a bit more adamant about wanting to know where the (insert expletive) Andy was at.
So, Dispatch called Andys company and they contacted him and called Dispatch back. He was sitting in the parking lot of the truck stop, waiting for his meet driver. Fortunately for that meet driver, Andy had driven some 80 miles past his meet point to the next major town, and was sitting in that town's truck stop.
Our driver simply ran back the way he'd came and did the swap with Andy where he was. Probably a smart move considering.
Not sure what all came of it after that, but I haven't seen Andy since that day.
I kinda miss the guy.........:smilie_132: