XPO | Required 30 minute break

I know when your in the city you have 30mins lunch taken out of you time when you work past 6hrs. When I was in the city I took my 30mins. On LH, for me, I found that taking a 30mins lunch cost me 2.5hrs a week away from home. It also makes me tired having to sit around for 30mins taking a lunch I not eating. I do take it if I feel I need to. They talk alot about fatigue with LH drivers and for me and many I know eating a big lunch or just sitting around for 30mins make them more tired.
I sure if you look around at the other LTLs many LH don't take lunches either.
Night time drivers having to take a 30 min break just means they get to bed 30 mins later. It should be optional

A "smart a**" for posting a relevant, factual comment? You have a problem with facts? I didn't call you any names, are you just too juvenile to respond without name calling? Pathetic.

One of the many pluses to where I work now. So much less stress. I’m not on the dock for hours. Or getting a last second via. Pushing my clock to the max every night. Plenty of time to stop. Take a leak. Get a bite. Make more money than I did at XPO. And “ smell the roses “.

I originally asked a simple question about if non federally mandated breaks were required…you went on the rant about how “we’ve fought along time for rights to take a break”…I don’t care about your opinion or what things used to be like…I simply wanted to know what different xpo barns are requiring…some require it and some do t…you were sounding like a union man giving a lecture, and that’s not the question that was asked

The guys at the barn I used to work at say it is driver option. They tell you to take it. But if you don’t. There is no recourse.

Night time drivers having to take a 30 min break just means they get to bed 30 mins later. It should be optional
We had a first in first out extra board.
We also had drivers that would run 500 miles and not get out of the truck in order to clip a man who stopped to eat.
Our 1 hr meal period was put in place as a minimum running time to prevent this.
It worked out well.

We had a first in first out extra board.
We also had drivers that would run 500 miles and not get out of the truck in order to clip a man who stopped to eat.
Our 1 hr meal period was put in place as a minimum running time to prevent this.
It worked out well.
They should have changed the first in first out policy instead of having to tip toe around a driver who opens his door every 30 mins on his run. Trucking is not a team sport, I get in my truck and leave when I am supposed to, I don't care at all about what the next guy is doing and the only thing I think about when I go to work is getting back as quickly and safely as possible.

They should have changed the first in first out policy instead of having to tip toe around a driver who opens his door every 30 mins on his run. Trucking is not a team sport, I get in my truck and leave when I am supposed to, I don't care at all about what the next guy is doing and the only thing I think about when I go to work is getting back as quickly and safely as possible.
You have the same problem with a seniority board if you have guys who want to drive 500 miles non-stop.
Usually, the guy who makes a stop every 30 min could care less about getting clipped.

You have the same problem with a seniority board if you have guys who want to drive 500 miles non-stop.
Usually, the guy who makes a stop every 30 min could care less about getting clipped.
well wasn't a guy shot and killed over this rule a while back?

Do your terminals require you to take the old federally mandated 30 minute break? Hearing mixed reviews of some saying it’s company policy, and some saying they never have to take one‍?
To your question. A driver cannot drive beyond their 8th hour after going on duty unless they take a thirty minute break. That break can be either off duty, sleeper berth, on-duty, or a combination of all three as long as it's a consecutive thirty minutes. Company policy still mirrors the old 30 minute break rule that required a driver to take a full thirty minute off duty break. If he didn't take this brake and then drove beyond his 8th duty hour, he'd be in violation. For city drivers, the company will take 1/2 hour of pay away after the driver exceeds 6 hours of duty time for that work day, so if you're in the city, you might as well take your break because you're not being paid anyway, if you miss pick-ups, that's on mgmt provided you warned them ahead of time that you had to take your break. If you're on linehaul, the company still wants you to take your full 30 minute break as the law was before, not as the law is now. Here's the secret though, the ELD's are based on FMSCA HOS rules, not company policy, so once a linehaul driver starts working the dock and he's on duty for more than 30 minutes, his 8 hour break clock resets to another full 8 hours. If I was on linehaul, I would take my 30 minute off duty break in the form of a power nap after my set was hooked for the return leg home. Does that help cut through the clutter? https://blog.bigroad.com/blog/what-...,8th hour before being allowed to drive again.

I was involved in a grievance soon after the on-duty clause to allow your 30 min. break to be applied to on duty not driving.
A driver was involved in an injury accident and during the legal crap between the Company and the injured, it was discovered by the injured that the driver had not taken an off-duty break in 11 hours of combined duty. The lawyers from the Company settled to avoid a jury trial.
The Company, even though it was legal to do so, the Company should have seen the "danger" in allowing the driver to work without a break. The Company then required the 30 min. off-duty time per 8 hours.
Lawyers and Insurance Companies run this business..

To your question. A driver cannot drive beyond their 8th hour after going on duty unless they take a thirty minute break. That break can be either off duty, sleeper berth, on-duty, or a combination of all three as long as it's a consecutive thirty minutes. Company policy still mirrors the old 30 minute break rule that required a driver to take a full thirty minute off duty break. If he didn't take this brake and then drove beyond his 8th duty hour, he'd be in violation. For city drivers, the company will take 1/2 hour of pay away after the driver exceeds 6 hours of duty time for that work day, so if you're in the city, you might as well take your break because you're not being paid anyway, if you miss pick-ups, that's on mgmt provided you warned them ahead of time that you had to take your break. If you're on linehaul, the company still wants you to take your full 30 minute break as the law was before, not as the law is now. Here's the secret though, the ELD's are based on FMSCA HOS rules, not company policy, so once a linehaul driver starts working the dock and he's on duty for more than 30 minutes, his 8 hour break clock resets to another full 8 hours. If I was on linehaul, I would take my 30 minute off duty break in the form of a power nap after my set was hooked for the return leg home. Does that help cut through the clutter? https://blog.bigroad.com/blog/what-is-the-fmcsa-30-minute-break-rule#:~:text=What is the 30-Minute Break Rule? According to,8th hour before being allowed to drive again.
You may want to re-read the regulations--A driver may not drive past his 8th DRIVING hour without a 30 minute non-drive period--Its 8hrs of Driving not 8 hours of duty

If you don't understand why not taking a break is a bad thing there's no point in me trying to convince you. Let's just let everybody do whatever they want to do on the job as long as it benefits them in some way, even if it hurts someone else along the way.

PS - No one says you have to eat a "big lunch". You could take the 30 and walk around and do some stretching or some exercises.

PPS - I could tell you stories about how some "rabbits" ruined runs on a job a long time ago. But then again they got what they wanted and screwed the other guys.
What you fail to see is if I take a lunch the run will still be done within the FMCSA HOS regs. I have no desire to work more then 12hrs a day 10hrs even better.

You talk about long ago...Well long ago we had the 10/15hr rule. I also heard many CCX driver talk about not getting a lunch back then. You want a lunch take it, but for someone paid by the mile it should be there choice

Oh please, I've run the road for years and a nice break for lunch/meal has always been a good thing and doesn't cost all that much in time in the big picture. What if that frantic running without a break eventually takes a toll on your body and you drop dead sooner than you might have? How much benefit is that?
Driver that even take a lunch run frantic.

Remember the union is for safety. I guess that why they filed grievances against T-force for turning there truck down to 65.....
Not so, some considered it a pay cut. It is a safety thing if you think about it. Interactions cause incidents. At a slower speed you have more interactions. Who hasn't been brake checked by an A-hole who thought you "got in his way"?

It is a safety thing if you think about it. Interactions cause incidents. At a slower speed you have more interactions.
???????????? So 10 truck running 65mph down the interstate with a speed limit of 65, other then an on ramp the only interaction they would have would be with a vehicle moving slower. So if a truck come along doing 68 like a t.force truck he will have interaction with all 10 trucks were if he was doing 65 he would have none. So who is really causing the interactions the truck doing the speed limit or the one doing 68???
and yes I have been brake check by T.force trucks because he considered me being in front of him a pay cut...