TForce | Retaliation

ovntguy

TB Lurker
Credits
I am a laid off road driver in BHM, AL. On 10/8 a p&d driver calls me to tell me that we are leaving 45sk at a customer because the terminal manager told a driver with an empty 48ft trlr to enroute back to the terminal. The driver arrived at 1600 and was told to leave at 1715 empty. This customer is not ready to pick up until 1800. I called BHM to confirm we were leaving that much freight at a customer and I was met with all kinds of attitude from a billing clerk. She referrd me to our terminal manager but I told her I was going to make a call to Daryl H. (VP of Southern Region) instead. I did call Mr. H. and made him aware of the situation (voice mail), but the billing clerk also told my terminal manager that I was calling Mr. H.

About 1 hour later the p&d job steward calls and says that our terminal manager wants him to call me when he gets back the the terminal and tell me I have been bumped from coming in at 500 and the schedule for Monaday has been changed to me coming in at 900. We are not having a bid right now! I am working the shift of the most junior man that i bumped. Also several casuals come in at 500 so they will be working ahead of me.

So what do you guys think. Should I go to the NLRB? Oh yeah Mr. H. is under the impression that drivers in BHM don't want to work beacuse we are not turning in sales leads. Why would we if we can't service the customers. BHM is in trouble. We are continuously loosing BIG customers. In the next 2 weeks we loose 4 more road runs for a total of 7 road drivers laid off out of 28. Our management team does not want to see our terminal grow and I am calling them out now.

P.S. We have just got this customer back after loosing them for a few months. This is our biggest customer in BHM and terminal manager doesn't care if we have them or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This situation sounds like what the PKB tm. I was told a major account called in a larger order more than two vans. Tm told them he will only send a pup and to send the rest with fdxf. This happened a few years ago.

Just like "blood runs thicker than water" phrase, your first mistake was calling up the road. The second mistake was calling the billing clerk. I know this is not what you want to hear bro, but if everyone would think first that for every action there is a reaction before we act, we would be better off. Get sales leads and show them that you care. Learn how to play THEIR game. Where did they violate the contract? I know it isnt right leaving that freight behind, but we need to get our FACTS straight before we react. Sorry to bum ya and i hope it works out. Remember bro that just like we take care of our own brothers,they are always going to take care of their own as well. Always.

Let me clarify. Our billing clerks answer the phones after 1630 b ecause their is only 1 soop there at that time. I don't think you can be retaliated against for calling up the road due to federal whistle blower laws right.

What happens to just servicing the customer. I usually just call up, and tell clerk that this customer is ready, and I have already started loading the freight. She says fine and leaves me alone, this doesn't happen that often, because our large customers like that are drop and hooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many reasons why freight appears to be left behind. Maybe they rescheduled, sent in another driver etc.
Arriving 2 hours before a "ready time" is not very productive, especially sitting there for one hour 15 minutes waiting.
No matter how small a lead may seem, getting sales leads helps out everyone in the long run.

There are many reasons why freight appears to be left behind. Maybe they rescheduled, sent in another driver etc.
Arriving 2 hours before a "ready time" is not very productive, especially sitting there for one hour 15 minutes waiting.
No matter how small a lead may seem, getting sales leads helps out everyone in the long run.
Everyone has a good piece of info. here. But it is always best, let them run the company. The only gripe you have Is your bid, on your run, and not sure how your contract reads, but they cant have a casual, or less seniority driver start before you. Making phone calls will definately get you in trouble. I call the teamsters president, and tell him the question I have, and he tells me exactly what to do. I am Local 705 Chicago. Good luck.