XPO | Retirement

highspeeds

ENTERTAINMENT USE ONLY
Credits
It comes up a lot here. We have a bunch of older guys. Crying about what they lost. And I try to empathise. But it is hard to hear all this when I ain't getting nothing. Anyone else feeling this ?

I am not at all trying to be mean. But I am not going to be able to retire. There is no dream for me. It's gone. Done. Adios.

Very frustrating to be told " Well you should go get another job. I wouldn't work here like this at your age. "

As if there are so many options ?? If a company was offering what we had 5 years ago today. I'd be a 30 year wait to get a job there.

Am I off base ?

It comes up a lot here. We have a bunch of older guys. Crying about what they lost. And I try to empathise. But it is hard to hear all this when I ain't getting nothing. Anyone else feeling this ?

I am not at all trying to be mean. But I am not going to be able to retire. There is no dream for me. It's gone. Done. Adios.

Very frustrating to be told " Well you should go get another job. I wouldn't work here like this at your age. "

As if there are so many options ?? If a company was offering what we had 5 years ago today. I'd be a 30 year wait to get a job there.

Am I off base ?

You have every right to be frustrated ... When we hear all the time ' if you don't like it just 'QUIT'.. That is a very **** poor attitude from these managers , also these guys act like there are an endless supply of qualified drivers busting down the door to work here . Don't think so ! Over time when there are no more perks to offer , these seasoned drivers will fade away and find jobs where they are appreciated and receive benefits for their hard work ! And no you are not off base one bit!

You aren't off base at all. I wouldn't be happy if I were you either and thanks to Conway retirement for me isn't looking like an option since they've decided they would rather keep that money for THEIR retirement. They honestly do believe they are smarter and more deserving than everyone else and completely justified. I wonder if they will ever care about their people again or if they will continue to let drivers with decades of experience keep quitting?

I do not think you are "off base" either. I think you should be upset that retirement benefits are not offered to you. I think we should all be upset that retirement benefits are not offered to you. I know I am upset. I was just talking to another driver about this today. What hope do we have to retire? The answer we came up with is little to none. Thats about all there is to it, work until you cannot work any longer and then hope you can live with one of your children. Thats the way it used to be before pensions and 401ks,IRAs, and Social Security and thats where we are headed. When I was a younger man I never gave any thought about what I would do when I was old and when I hired on with this outfit I believed that the answer to the question I had not been asking was given to me. A pension and a 401k would be there for me when I got old. I will still get a very small pension and I am trying to save money in the 401k but I don't think that I will be able to save enough to retire with security. Retirement will come when I physically cannot work any longer and have no choice but to rely on my savings and my small pension.

For you drivers who will receive NO retirement benefits whatsoever from the company, I feel bad for you and I am angry that this outfit is taking advantage of a crappy economy and an anti-union mindset that has gripped this country. Unfortunately, it seems that they do not have to offer those benefits anymore in order to attract drivers. So many people are just happy to have a job, not worried about 20 or 30 years from now, just worried about making the rent and the car note next month. I hope that the tables will turn, I keep hearing about this driver shortage and think that the time is coming when drivers will be able to demand more from employers in order to retain their services. I hope the day comes when we all can have a secure retiremtent, free of worry and doubt and until then, I just keep showing up to work,working hard, and saving what I can and hoping that things will work out in the end.

As long as the company provides me a decent wage, I really don't want anything else from them. I stopped putting anything in the 401k like two months after I started here. I save a decent amount from each paycheck and make my own investment decisions. I have no kids and no responsibilities , but I empathize with the guys that do.

We see what the economy did to 401k's a few years back. No thank you.

What did people do before pensions and 401k's?

The way I see it, when I came to work here, Con-Way and I had a agreement. I work for them and give them my 100% and in return they provide me with my bennies, including my pension. Well, guess what, The way I see it , they BROKE our agreement and their promise. Management still gets their pension and I do not. Who does the work around here. Who drives the truck? Who drives the forklift? Not the management. It is a real slap in the face and I don't blame anyone else who is as bitter about is company as I am.

con-way's new pension plan is called yoyo you're on your own. I will get about $757.00 monthly last time I checked the annual benefits report they send. but I have been putting money away because no one cares about your future but you.

beerfd said:
What are they doing with them?

Not living up to their end of the deal but I guess when your employment terms are secured by a contract it's an "I got mine,screw you" mentality

Save as much as you can every week. You never know when they will decide they aren't going to give you anything.

I agree with almost everything in the original post (highspeed).. except the part about lack of options, at least in my area. At my barn, most experienced drivers quit after months and apprentices quit after their year long contract is up. And they go to Dayton, OD, Holland, Fed Ex, etc. That's the problem with my barn, there's so many other good jobs out there that love conway drivers that there's no point in staying. That is the basis for our hiring frenzy, and in turn that's why we have so many fulltime driver trainers and "half day" SME guys. During lunch break one day, some DSR's including myself were calcuating how much conway spend on training/sme, based on how many training bids and how many man-hours spent on SME. Came out to approximately 4%. IMO that's money better spent on a 401k. My point is if conway gave a damn about employee retention we would save a lot of money...

I agree with almost everything in the original post (highspeed).. except the part about lack of options, at least in my area. At my barn, most experienced drivers quit after months and apprentices quit after their year long contract is up. And they go to Dayton, OD, Holland, Fed Ex, etc. That's the problem with my barn, there's so many other good jobs out there that love conway drivers that there's no point in staying. That is the basis for our hiring frenzy, and in turn that's why we have so many fulltime driver trainers and "half day" SME guys. During lunch break one day, some DSR's including myself were calcuating how much conway spend on training/sme, based on how many training bids and how many man-hours spent on SME. Came out to approximately 4%. IMO that's money better spent on a 401k. My point is if conway gave a damn about employee retention we would save a lot of money...

Those options don't offer any better retirement or benefits packages. It's all about the same. Which was what I was talking about.

Years ago, if you lost this job it might have been heart breaking. Now all you gotta do is go learn someone elses paperwork.

Here's kinda more of what I have been thinking. Retirement options are there to keep employees long term. It's something the company offers to keep people. A financial reward for years of service.

When they take that away, what they are telling you is that you are no longer needed or wanted. That they don't need to reward those years because they don't want you to stay here that long.

Another thing I thought of as I typed out that last post. I was in the break room the other day. A few of these guys that had just passed the class were talking. They all came from poorer backgrounds. Having done construction labor. Retail. Or warehouse work.

Before they got their license. $7000.00 seemed like an enormous amount of money. But now that they have that CDL. And they realize how much money they can make with it. Even if they have to pay to leave it is worth it. To get to do what they want and make what they can. Rather than stay here and be a 8 hours if lucky dock hand.

Am I off base ?
No, you should be like the rest of this generation,and not want anything or expect anything let alone work for anything, and the hell with the brother or sister that has been robed, after all who do they think they are to want a pension so that they might be able to take care of themselfs.

I retired from conway 25 months ago. I got in at a good time and I left at a good time. For the most part the trucking industry provides almost no help with retirement. If I had to do it all over again I would find another way to make a living.
If you choose to stay in trucking you better make yourself into a good saver, If not it doesn't take long to out live your assets.

I retired from conway 25 months ago. I got in at a good time and I left at a good time. For the most part the trucking industry provides almost no help with retirement. If I had to do it all over again I would find another way to make a living.
If you choose to stay in trucking you better make yourself into a good saver, If not it doesn't take long to out live your assets.

More and more lately the solution seems to be: die sooner. What a miserable world we are living in.