XPO | Revolving door moving fast..

From an ex employee standpoint, try compensating the employees with full benefits and replacing part time dock workers with full time dsrs. Let the experienced dsrs do their job and get out the way. At that point your claims will go down and you might even get experienced drivers knock on the door.

Con-way doesn't want experienced freight men. What they want are newbies that have never done this line of work, that way they can teach them how to do it the way they want it done and said employee will have no point of reference to question the decisions and SWI. If they hired a bunch of experienced freight men, then they'd have seasoned veterans who might have their own ideas of how the job should be done, and they can't handle that. Prime example: we had a dock meeting every night about 18:00 and one night the dock supervisors asked us for opinions on how to improve the process, improve cube and get the dock shut down earlier. I raised my hand and proposed an idea, instead of loading freight in the order it came down to each door and to expedite the process from having 5 people waiting to put a piece of freight on one trailer, we should change the process and designate loaders to handle 3-5 doors that they would be the only person to load freight on those doors. The rest of the crew could shuttle freight from the city trailers and bay the freight up behind the door it was to load to (we're already going to be splitting up the dock and painting lines with lean, right?). Some guys are better at loading than others, and you can designate the best as loaders and let the rest of the guys shuttle. Then you have a constant stream of freight to your door and you can put the jigsaw puzzle together to load the trailer high and tight and get it done quicker. Idea was immediately shot down. Can't do it, never done it that way, won't work. No thought to trying the idea to see if it worked or not. Well guess what, that means I'm going to stop giving ideas out. No point in thinking to try to improve things if I'm going to get shot down without a second thought. It just proved to me that they don't want someone who can think for themselves, they want servomotors who will follow prescribed dictates from management without question.

Con-way doesn't want experienced freight men. What they want are newbies that have never done this line of work, that way they can teach them how to do it the way they want it done and said employee will have no point of reference to question the decisions and SWI. If they hired a bunch of experienced freight men, then they'd have seasoned veterans who might have their own ideas of how the job should be done, and they can't handle that. Prime example: we had a dock meeting every night about 18:00 and one night the dock supervisors asked us for opinions on how to improve the process, improve cube and get the dock shut down earlier. I raised my hand and proposed an idea, instead of loading freight in the order it came down to each door and to expedite the process from having 5 people waiting to put a piece of freight on one trailer, we should change the process and designate loaders to handle 3-5 doors that they would be the only person to load freight on those doors. The rest of the crew could shuttle freight from the city trailers and bay the freight up behind the door it was to load to (we're already going to be splitting up the dock and painting lines with lean, right?). Some guys are better at loading than others, and you can designate the best as loaders and let the rest of the guys shuttle. Then you have a constant stream of freight to your door and you can put the jigsaw puzzle together to load the trailer high and tight and get it done quicker. Idea was immediately shot down. Can't do it, never done it that way, won't work. No thought to trying the idea to see if it worked or not. Well guess what, that means I'm going to stop giving ideas out. No point in thinking to try to improve things if I'm going to get shot down without a second thought. It just proved to me that they don't want someone who can think for themselves, they want servomotors who will follow prescribed dictates from management without question.
experienced the same thing. Offered on hand training to help the part timers and claims. Guess what , instead they swapped supervisors. Haha. It's about control. NoThing more. They can have it.

You ex's didn't get to see the video yesterday.. said claims and accidents are still to high. Said its up to us to fix it..lol OK. I did my part yesterday, didn't have an accident, and didn't tear anything. Up. Where's my bonus??
As long as you've got new people constantly being rotated in and out.company wide, your gonna have high claims..they'll figure it out one day when they get some management that knows the freight business.

You ex's didn't get to see the video yesterday.. said claims and accidents are still to high. Said its up to us to fix it..lol OK. I did my part yesterday, didn't have an accident, and didn't tear anything. Up. Where's my bonus??

As long as you've got new people constantly being rotated in and out.company wide, your gonna have high claims..they'll figure it out one day when they get some management that knows the freight business.

Oh I got to see the video... my login still works on the employee portal... I just watched it. Wow, way to end the quarterly video with doom and gloom! That was great! I find it hilarious that they are missing the forest for the trees... use safestack? How do you do that when AD, Werner, CRST, etc. won't get with the program and install safestack on THEIR trailers? They showed pictures of all those nicely loaded trailers with straps and safestack, funny but they didn't show a single sub wagon. Use more sub wagons=less utilization of safestack=more damage=less customers=no freight.

I called XGO to ask about your bonus. They responded and said your bonus is you still have your job, now shut-up and do as they tell you.

see there you go thinking again. I know what you mean that stuff happens at all these service centers. proposed several Ideas myself and as you said. they were shot down without any thought or given a chance to try them out. now when they ask my opinion I tell them you pay me from the neck down. lmao

I'm sure glad some employees are seeing the the light around this place, they don't want your idea's , your opinion, your smart mouth , nothing ... All they want is you busting your back from the time you walk In until you run out !

see there you go thinking again. I know what you mean that stuff happens at all these service centers. proposed several Ideas myself and as you said. they were shot down without any thought or given a chance to try them out. now when they ask my opinion I tell them you pay me from the neck down. lmao

you have to be a part of the management butt kissing team aka vvt..otherwise just drive the truck. We're watching you.

In the past year I have seen more new-hires come and go at this place than in the previous 4 years.

If you would have told me three years ago that 8-10 people above me would leave for various reasons, I would have figured I have it made by now. However I keep making lateral or back-wards moves on the board because they can't keep new-hires.

We had to cut bids yet again, to keep the flex/bid percentage right. Someone with nine years in got knocked off the road to make it work. For his personal enjoyment, he gets to watch flex drivers, who will soon quit, leave the yard every night on good linehaul runs.

TM thinks he will be able to snap his fingers and hire five people this week. I don't think he knows how bad the word on the street is for this place right now. If he succeeds, I'm sure they will be quality hires.

Also had a sales exec with 24 years in quit yesterday with no notice. He was a good one.
Maybe we need another committee to decide just how bad we suck, what do you think?:shrug:

In the past year I have seen more new-hires come and go at this place than in the previous 4 years.

If you would have told me three years ago that 8-10 people above me would leave for various reasons, I would have figured I have it made by now. However I keep making lateral or back-wards moves on the board because they can't keep new-hires.

We had to cut bids yet again, to keep the flex/bid percentage right. Someone with nine years in got knocked off the road to make it work. For his personal enjoyment, he gets to watch flex drivers, who will soon quit, leave the yard every night on good linehaul runs.

TM thinks he will be able to snap his fingers and hire five people this week. I don't think he knows how bad the word on the street is for this place right now. If he succeeds, I'm sure they will be quality hires.

Also had a sales exec with 24 years in quit yesterday with no notice. He was a good one.
That's what happens when you work for a (⊙▃⊙) run company!

True, the boys at the crystal palace don't load the trailers, but they sure are vocal about every single freakin' step you're supposed to take to do it in swi. Even though they've never loaded a trailer they're the expert. One thing you forgot to mention is the "goals" for production come from Ann Arbor and from their underlings in regional management. These "goals" are the optimum operational level, not a level of reasonable expectation. But we must meet the numbers, no matter what. No wonder freight gets torn up, I remember the strain we were under to get outbound shut down.

How much of that $160 mil from W/M do you think we are going to see in our bonus? NONE OF IT

Just wait until all of the part times start. I have already seen it. 2500 LBS steel pump 2 ft tall loaded on a rack up to the ceiling of the trailer. What was on the floor? 2 skids, 750 LBS 3 ft tall. If that isn,t a recepie for disaster. I can see it now. The trailer get rolled over, driver fired.

Just wait until all of the part times start. I have already seen it. 2500 LBS steel pump 2 ft tall loaded on a rack up to the ceiling of the trailer. What was on the floor? 2 skids, 750 LBS 3 ft tall. If that isn,t a recepie for disaster. I can see it now. The trailer get rolled over, driver fired.

2500, thats weak..two perfect sized pallets for the deck, only thing they were 5000 lbs together going to my terminal..Luckily I caught it and rectified the situation..You boys have fun with that...:kicking::kicking:

2500, thats weak..two perfect sized pallets for the deck, only thing they were 5000 lbs together going to my terminal..Luckily I caught it and rectified the situation..You boys have fun with that...:kicking::kicking:

I'm not kidding saw this with my own eyes. Told fos this pup is going be top heavy, no it looks good. Driver left out of the yard made his third turn onto interstate rolled his rear and bam he was gone!!! Inbound guys took pics. but nothing was done to save the drivers job. Oh well talked to the driver a few months later and he is noe with another LTL company and said it was really the best thing that could of happened to him. It was small pumps loaded on a deck very high in air. when he made turn it shifted and his rear pup went over.:smilie93C_peelout: :smilie93C_peelout: :poster_oops:

I'm not kidding saw this with my own eyes. Told fos this pup is going be top heavy, no it looks good. Driver left out of the yard made his third turn onto interstate rolled his rear and bam he was gone!!! Inbound guys took pics. but nothing was done to save the drivers job. Oh well talked to the driver a few months later and he is noe with another LTL company and said it was really the best thing that could of happened to him. It was small pumps loaded on a deck very high in air. when he made turn it shifted and his rear pup went over.:smilie93C_peelout: :smilie93C_peelout: :poster_oops:
Please edit this before a select few come on here and tell you that all rollovers are preventable and are driver error ONLY. Loading top heavy skids have no effect on the ride dynamics of a combination vehicle. The Laws of physics are moot. I don't know if you boys out east get those small narrow rolls of Avery Denison paper that weigh about 1200 each. Watched a FOS tell a guy to load all four up there because they fit perfectly. Do the math at 4*1200.. I was like why dude? In some sense you cant be too hard on them, they are under pressure to get their numbers as well, just like us, and they are only humans. Also watched people put those prefabbed concrete stuff on racks, at almost 3 grand..Sometimes Ill ask why oh why, others times I'm like screw it.

Sounds familiar. Hint:(YRC)
Of course, after the right side is loaded to the roof, and the left side is 4 feet tall, then a supervisor will assign a employee to "fix" it.
You are right about how some can load, some can not. I have watched a 1,000 lb pallet stacked on top of a 200 lb pallet.
Cross-dock now is synonymous with damage claims. Surprise. Surprise.

Why didn't you tell the guy taking it, that it was not safe? Maybe he would've fixed it