XPO | Rig overturns on Pike ramp

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
bilde

MILLBURY — The eastbound exit and entrance ramps between Route 122 and the Massachusetts Turnpike are expected to be closed for much of the day as crews unload and upright an overturned tandem tractor-trailer.

The morning accident occurred at Exit 11, Route 122. The truck overturned as it was exiting the highway.

Through traffic on the turnpike is not affected.

Two ramps are closed:. Eastbound motorists on the turnpike cannot exit at Exit 11. Motorists on Route 122 cannot access the turnpike eastbound.......

..............The crash involved a tandem tractor-trailer hauling what state police are describing as a corrosive material. Officials from the state Department of Environmental Protection are assisting in the cleanup. State police said there is no danger to residents or motorists near the accident.

The driver of the rig was not seriously injured...............

Rig overturns on Pike ramp

Wonder how much weight was in the top of that lead wagon. Maybe speed was a factor, but you might think it would bring over the kite if speed were the issue. Whats the rumor up there???

]

We have seen 313 trailers in our neck of the woods with e-track. Even seen a 415 with the brown and orange
with e-track.

Yes, 313's can have E-track, there are about 150 in the system that have it, 313-0357 is not one of them. But it still could have been top heavy.

According to the article the trlr had two totes of corrosive on board, how much do you want to bet they were both loaded on the same side of the trlr. Those things are usually about 2500lbs each, 5000 plus other freight on on side like that could cause only the front box to roll if he took a corner to sharp too fast. I caught a pic of a r&l triple were the middle box rolled will the driver was turning to get on the interstate from a dead stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it funny that everyone assumes that this must have been a loading error at the hands of Con-way. Couldn't have been a driving error or poor judgement on the drivers part. Too funny.

I find it funny that everyone assumes that this must have been a loading error at the hands of Con-way. Couldn't have been a driving error or poor judgement on the drivers part. Too funny.

Since this is a board that consists primarily of drivers, that would be the general consensus. Most drivers will reply with what the 'could have happened' scenario based on what they see on a daily basis. It is well known amongst drivers that poorly loaded trailers will cause this more times than poor judgement or a driving error.

to funny ???? you dont get out much.....drivers are loaders f.y.i.

Since this is a board that consists primarily of drivers, that would be the general consensus. Most drivers will reply with what the 'could have happened' scenario based on what they see on a daily basis. It is well known amongst drivers that poorly loaded trailers will cause this more times than poor judgement or a driving error.

well known among what drivers? you can get up on the safe stack bashing soapbox and blame loading error but every professional driver must evaluate every trailer they pull. It doesn't take very many gear shifts or turns before I know the characteristics of my trailers and how I must operate my equipment to be safe. Always and 100%... no, but outside of something coming loose or emergency evasive maneuvers, you adjust your performance to your loads and the conditions.

well known among what drivers? you can get up on the safe stack bashing soapbox and blame loading error but every professional driver must evaluate every trailer they pull. It doesn't take very many gear shifts or turns before I know the characteristics of my trailers and how I must operate my equipment to be safe. Always and 100%... no, but outside of something coming loose or emergency evasive maneuvers, you adjust your performance to your loads and the conditions.

Well, to be honest, I was more referencing the fact that this board consists mostly of drivers, hence the response that it would be assumed to be a loading error, rather than poor judgement.

As to your soapbox assumptions, I will be the first to say that I actually quite like the safe stack trailers. What I don't like however, is seeing some drivers loading 2 skids weighing 500 pounds total on the floor, then loading 3000 pounds up on the load bars. That is poor loading, regardless of your ability adjust your driving habits to counter the lack of judgement of the person loading the trailer. And, that is not just a safe stack issue either, it happened quite often with the load racks as well, and still does.

Safety is everywhere, not just with the guy turning the wheel.

How the hell do you evaluate trailers that one cannot see?

Sealed and in the yard...the driver has no idea of how they were loaded and how well the load will ride.

These pathetic and canned answers to real problems is getting old.

These posts reveal more and more of someone who has no clue as to what the driving environment is actually like.

Parroted responses one would expect from somebody who has no idea as to the real world we live in.

In other words...some manager with all the answers.

NOT!!!!

Running linehaul is dangerous. Back in the day we loaded our own stuff...not anymore.

Now the LHer is at the mercy of some other person's 'expertise'.

The problem lies in the fact that the company doesn't care...just load it...whether it makes sense or not!

Afterall...once it leaves the yard it isn't the FOSs problem anymore.

And once a problem occurrs...another career is ruined!

Rat

every professional driver must evaluate every trailer they pull. It doesn't take very many gear shifts or turns before I know the characteristics of my trailers and how I must operate my equipment to be safe. Always and 100%... no, but outside of something coming loose or emergency evasive maneuvers, you adjust your performance to your loads and the conditions.

How very true. I know if I have a screwy trailer before I leave the yard a lot of times. And if the weather gets bad, more adjustments made.

First off the too funny comment wasn't a response to the accident. The accident is unfortunate and I'm glad no one was hurt. I find it funny that it was first assumed that must have been a loading error. Without any knowledge of the accident how can that be assumed?? Statistically more accidents are due to driver error rather than improper loading. Did the load shift? Maybe. What caused the load to shift? Going to fast into a corner? Not paying attention till the last second then cranking the wheel? Maybe. My only point is alot goes into determining a cause of an accident and normally there isn't one single cause. More like several contributing factors that lead to the accident. It's easy to blame loading. That way it wasn't the drivers fault. I personally try too learn from every event so that I can protect myself. But it takes a true professional to look at them self and realize the things they could do to improve and not simply point the finger at someone else. There is too much finger pointing in con-way. We will all be unemployed if the finger pointing doesn't stop and that goes from the bottom to the top.

I feel that if it was driver error and he was going around the ramp too fast he would of flipped his kite BEFORE his lead. Like I said before, I have never seen a lead flip and the kite stay upright.