FedEx Freight | road bump bids

blue4242

TB Lurker
Credits
Can someone explain how road bump bids work. I've heard 3 different explanations on how they work. We have two people that are off on long term disability that currently hold bids, but they aren't coming back any time soon and we are hiring 10 new drivers. I'm on a crummy 45 mile shuttle run, and have 3 people a head of me til I can get off it. The people on long term disability are way up there on seniority. I really would like a chance to get off it and go to the extra board.

[quote author=zathlon link=topic=79543.msg824250#msg824250 date=1272108370]
Can someone explain how road bump bids work. I've heard 3 different explanations on how they work. We have two people that are off on long term disability and we are hiring 10 new drivers. I'm on a crummy 45 mile shuttle run, and have 3 people a head of me til I can get off it. The people on long term disability are way up there on seniority. I really would like a chance to get off it and go to the extra board.
[/quote]

basically the guy coming in bumps in by "board seniority" and you basically only have to bid if you are bumped.

Sorry, I meant to say that they are vacant bids, the road drivers currently hold bids but aren't coming back any time soon. How does that affect a bump bid.

if someone is going to be out over 30 days they are suppose to do a bump bid and the bid is suppose to start at the next guy behind him unless miles have changed on runs

[quote author=Jeff link=topic=79543.msg824255#msg824255 date=1272109062]
if someone is going to be out over 30 days they are suppose to do a bump bid and the bid is suppose to start at the next guy behind him unless miles have changed on runs
[/quote]
Thanks Jeff, that does help. Can they add extra-board runs on a bump bid? These new people will be out of training on May 10, about the time we would do the bump bid, but we don't have enough extra slots for these people.

[quote author=zathlon link=topic=79543.msg824257#msg824257 date=1272109422]
[quote author=Jeff link=topic=79543.msg824255#msg824255 date=1272109062]
[/quote]
Thanks Jeff, that does help. Can they add extra-board runs on a bump bid? These new people will be out of training on May 10, about the time we would do the bump bid, but we don't have enough extra slots for these people.
[/quote]

when we get drivers added on, they will not let an existing driver bump to the extra board, it's always the n00bs on the extra board when they come in.
I think the rules are different at different places

thanks Jeff, though not the answer I was hoping for. Then the bump bid will put me on #2 dayton, just 2 shy of getting off it.

[quote author=zathlon link=topic=79543.msg824265#msg824265 date=1272110919]
thanks Jeff, though not the answer I was hoping for. Then the bump bid will put me on #2 dayton, just 2 shy of getting off it.
[/quote]

remember, I am only stating what I know at the terminal I am at and have no idea of the variations from term to term

I tried to weed threw all the answers ... don't count on those bids your talking about being there for the extra board to run after a bump bid, if they are any good they will be filled. also say the driver ahead of you is on the extra board and bids the last open bid run ... your stuck ...
I'd say with hiring 10 new drivers your are going to do a total rebid soon anyway ..bound to be some new runs coming.
:shift:

I forgot to add ..extra board is not a bid slot

[/quote] When a bump bid occurs, when it is your turn... any run that was not available to you the last time you bid you now have an opportunity to grab it. The extra board is not a bid run, but just hang in there you will be in great shape soon in CMH. I said months ago that you guys would be up 15 Road drivers by summer. It might be 40 by winter.

When a bump bid occurs, when it is your turn... any run that was not available to you the last time you bid you now have an opportunity to grab it. The extra board is not a bid run, but just hang in there you will be in great shape soon in CMH. I said months ago that you guys would be up 15 Road drivers by summer. It might be 40 by winter.

I'd be pretty darn happy with 40. We just got authorization to hire another 3 on top of the 10 they are hiring. If I wasn't on a 45mile bid I'd be more patient.

Zathy, the two in question that are out right now should not have been allowed to bid in the fisrt place, since niether of them have ran this entire bid cycle.

As far as being stuck in the DAY slot, it won't be for long there buddy. I have been there too.

author=Waffleman link=topic=79543.msg824384#msg824384 date=1272141877]
Zathy, the two in question that are out right now should not have been allowed to bid in the fisrt place, since niether of them have ran this entire bid cycle.

As far as being stuck in the DAY slot, it won't be for long there buddy. I have been there too.

We have a few people that dont run but maybe 5 nights a year and they are allowed to bid and even get a truck assigned to them.

[quote author=Jeff link=topic=79543.msg824266#msg824266 date=1272111033]
[/quote]

remember, I am only stating what I know at the terminal I am at and have no idea of the variations from term to term
[/quote]
Excuse my ignorance but isn't everything supposed to be laid out in the line haul manual and also supposed to be uniform for everyone?

Yea its kinda hard making any money driving 45 miles to DAY and working the dock all night long. I was making better money in the city there towards the end with a little OT involved. Where are you out of bikerdoug? I'm sure we've all probably ran into each other(well about ran into each other) several times in DAY. :biglaugh: