FedEx Freight | Road Driver Questions

I have made exactly one suit Cry. Just once.

He to his credit held it together until I left through the doorway. I heard the sobs after.

I think it was a 200 dollar episode over a half a trailer to be unloaded into some bumfuck grocery we never went to. Turns out it costs him everything for the trouble load and I made zip.

Boss. I took it from here to there, delivered and back empty. thats 155 miles zip code to zip code. 29 cents a mile pay me. round about 45 dollars.

After 200 dollars to lump it.

After 550 in fuels.

After 1000 to extract the tractor from a blown axle...

and another 2000 in related citations.

I dont know what Meijers paid sad boss man or sobbing owner rather but that episode was not repeated.

The loading on that trip was equally bad. 100 for the washing (Sanitation) of trailer to start things off. Plus another 300 for a alternator the previous night.

That was one of the times I looked at the 30 some odd dollars after deductions in my hand for three days struggle and almost boarded the plane for home on the east coast.

Almost. I sit in the Detrioter for about three hours to smoke, coffee and consider the future.

To this day I hardly go into the Detrioter. Its a place of pain.

But that quiet sobs ... it was something that day. He was 400 trucks. Some of which were not doing well that week. A hell of a way to run a railroad.

Truckingboards has made me well versed in navigating company policy and making it work in my favor.
If you drive long enough you learn company policy is crap created for mgmt. to screw you at their discretion as they will lie at every turn but want you to believe them. The best you can do is use their own words back at them. :1036316054:

I recently became a road driver and I've had some issues where I have questions, but management is no help or they try to cover their butts. I figure a whole thread on it might be easier to follow rather than individual topics all over the place.

My current issue is with my RDA. Here's some back story, my bid spot was shuttle number 6 and it's the last spot. About a month ago, a CDSA ran the number 1 spot and I was put in the number 5 (number 5 was on vacation) spot (without being offered number 1) and a via was given to number 1.

I'm currently going back and forth with him via email (always paper trail) and he says that I ran my bid spot and number 5 was cancelled. He says they can cancel number 5 and run number 6 because they have the same gate time. I've never heard of that and I'm looking for more info before continuing this back and forth. I'm also looking for a polite way to call BS (always be professional).
The problem is they make the rules as they go. Intranet.... They have had that stupid rule for awhile because it's easier on dispatchers.

Also when I cdsa runs a road run WHATEVER spot he is in that his seniority that night. So if he's running #1 he gets offered everything 1st.

I don't agree with it ,but they have done that for years in Nashville. Even when I was a combo, because they tried to deny me delay. They said I was city and I could have worked dock. Central told my manager that when I'm pulled to the road I fall under road rules.

Basically CDSA are extra extra board in that situation.

If I go extraboard and I have people under me on the extraboard, can I pass on the crap I don't want to do?
Yes you can.

If you choose an “open call block” and you have enough guys under you vs amount of runs, you can tell them to call you back when something else comes up.. only issue is that we aren’t busy enough for that right now

Yes you can.

If you choose an “open call block” and you have enough guys under you vs amount of runs, you can tell them to call you back when something else comes up.. only issue is that we aren’t busy enough for that right now

What's an "open call block"? I thought the call blocks were 5-9 AM/PM. Everything outside of that is at my discretion if I want to answer the phone.

Am I mistaking?

What's an "open call block"? I thought the call blocks were 5-9 AM/PM. Everything outside of that is at my discretion if I want to answer the phone.

Am I mistaking?
I’m out of a big hub terminal.. maybe different?

Choosing Open call block for us gives the option for them to call any other time. Midnight, 3am ETC

It is a choice and we have to sign off on that option anytime you get off a bid run and choose extraboard

I’m out of a big hub terminal.. maybe different?

Choosing Open call block for us gives the option for them to call any other time. Midnight, 3am ETC

It is a choice and we have to sign off on that option anytime you get off a bid run and choose extraboard

Interesting. My building doesn't offer that, but I wouldn't sign up for it. However, if I go extraboard it's with the intent of taking those 2 AM calls because I don't have the seniorty for the 5AM stuff. I'm hoping to be able to solidly bid 5AM stuff within 3 years.

Interesting. My building doesn't offer that, but I wouldn't sign up for it. However, if I go extraboard it's with the intent of taking those 2 AM calls because I don't have the seniorty for the 5AM stuff. I'm hoping to be able to solidly bid 5AM stuff within 3 years.
Then you better sign call block waver or you won't get 2am calls they'll give to CDSA.

Just because your building doesn't offer doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are tons of terminals that do their own thing and never follow policy till HR gets involved. Nashville included.

Gotcha. At my building in order to bid onto nice day runs you need at least 8 years in (nice as in 7am starts) so I just stay on nights and get great night bids with a lot of delay pay while waiting for freight to be loaded

Extraboard at my building isn’t too bad either because like stated earlier when you get a run for that day you’re that original driver for the day/night

Then you better sign call block waver or you won't get 2am calls they'll give to CDSA.

Just because your building doesn't offer doesn't mean it doesn't exist. There are tons of terminals that do their own thing and never follow policy till HR gets involved. Nashville included.

The 2 AM dispatcher definitely calls and texts. They want those CDSA's on the dock. I also think they want extraboard drivers to believe they have to answer the phone. I didn't know about the call blocks until I saw it here and I asked a senior driver about it and he told me all about it. Building management never told us we didn't have to answer the phone after 9 PM.

Imagine the dispatchers surprise my first day as a road driver and I call at the end of the clock only to be told "I don't have anything now, but the next dispatcher will" and my response was "I'm not answering the phone, I'm going to bed". He said "What do you mean?" And I said "I don't have to answer after 9" he says "ok" and that was that. I woke up to 3 text messages and 5 missed calls. I didn't answer any of the 2AM calls after that on principle.

Gotcha. At my building in order to bid onto nice day runs you need at least 8 years in (nice as in 7am starts) so I just stay on nights and get great night bids with a lot of delay pay while waiting for freight to be loaded

Extraboard at my building isn’t too bad either because like stated earlier when you get a run for that day you’re that original driver for the day/night

We have a lot of guys retiring soon. We also have a lot more day runs than night runs. I need about 20 guys under me on an 85 person board to be guaranteed a sweet spot. I already have 7 under me.

We have a lot of guys retiring soon. We also have a lot more day runs than night runs. I need about 20 guys under me on an 85 person board to be guaranteed a sweet spot. I already have 7 under me.
Hang in there! I’m an old guy looking at the door out. I was once #72 out of an 80 man road board when I started. The only thing I know for sure is that LTL NEVER remains the same for very long.
When I left my 1st hub I was #39 out of 51. I took a dovetail transfer to a new hub and haven’t looked back. It is a 15 year freight cycle. Demographics and mgmt changes guarantee that every 15 yrs. stuff is gonna get a large realignment. Unless you are in a big city that is also a hub. The bigger the city operation the more road stability you have.

Hang in there! I’m an old guy looking at the door out. I was once #72 out of an 80 man road board when I started. The only thing I know for sure is that LTL NEVER remains the same for very long.
When I left my 1st hub I was #39 out of 51. I took a dovetail transfer to a new hub and haven’t looked back. It is a 15 year freight cycle. Demographics and mgmt changes guarantee that every 15 yrs. stuff is gonna get a large realignment. Unless you are in a big city that is also a hub. The bigger the city operation the more road stability you have.

Our city operation has about 30-35 city drivers going out each day and about 70 on the board.

You guys retire when you're ready to. It's none of my business and frankly, you can't move in with me so do what you have to do :17142::lmao:

The 2 AM dispatcher definitely calls and texts. They want those CDSA's on the dock. I also think they want extraboard drivers to believe they have to answer the phone. I didn't know about the call blocks until I saw it here and I asked a senior driver about it and he told me all about it. Building management never told us we didn't have to answer the phone after 9 PM.

Imagine the dispatchers surprise my first day as a road driver and I call at the end of the clock only to be told "I don't have anything now, but the next dispatcher will" and my response was "I'm not answering the phone, I'm going to bed". He said "What do you mean?" And I said "I don't have to answer after 9" he says "ok" and that was that. I woke up to 3 text messages and 5 missed calls. I didn't answer any of the 2AM calls after that on principle.
I used to have a FFE Memphis Dispatcher call me the day before my end of home time to see about me showing up at midnight in Memphis when I know darn well that the trailer in question is NOT yet loaded and ready. Not until about 10 am mondays usually.

Around noon I am there and get the trailer, go in to see him for papers. He gives me a hard time about not answering the phone the previous day.

I told him what part of time off do you not understand. Off is off. Dont like it? Fire me. Otherwise lets get going, we are running late already. Takes like 5 hours to get into Memphis and another 5 to get out. So mucking about over ::shit:: that means nothing on time off is a waste as well.

HE did not fire me but I learned to relocate to other dispatchers and run their turf. The good ones just let us roll. Time off equals time off. We will be there bright and early for them. But not Memphis. They can wait a while.

You are at the wrong company to avoid dock bids with low seniority. Have to put in those dues. Is what it is.

Not the case in my building. We have 15 shuttle runs, 15 extra board spots, 50 day meets and 5 night turns. The 5 turns are always taken by the same guys. Then there's the 5 or 6 guys that always go extraboard because they don't want to slip seat and continuously get AM meets. You also have the same 5-7 guys that take shuttle runs because with they get decent vias with the high spots and they prefer working nights.

I'm looking at about 2-3 years before 8 can solidly bid an AM spot. Until then I can go extraboard and play the game to avoid shuttle runs.

Not the case in my building. We have 15 shuttle runs, 15 extra board spots, 50 day meets and 5 night turns. The 5 turns are always taken by the same guys. Then there's the 5 or 6 guys that always go extraboard because they don't want to slip seat and continuously get AM meets. You also have the same 5-7 guys that take shuttle runs because with they get decent vias with the high spots and they prefer working nights.

I'm looking at about 2-3 years before 8 can solidly bid an AM spot. Until then I can go extraboard and play the game to avoid shuttle runs.
This certainly is the exception not the norm.

True, this is also why we have a hard time hanging onto drivers though.
And the dues kill the golden goose, the drivers who are the future bedrock of trucking.

Such bullshittery. The old obsolete hazing time as "Paying dues" in trucking or anything has to stop.

40 plus years ago a very ancient trucker told me this at the bar.

"When you are young, you dont get to complain. They wont listen."

"When you are old like me, you can gripe and they will listen carefully. Then laugh at you"

So eitherway you are fooked.

Another question

Can Central force you on a via if you're not going to have the hours to make it back?

They told me to get an extension or a rescue... Extension wasn't possible because I can't extend drive time so now I'm waiting on my rescue.