FedEx Freight | Road Driver Questions

Another question

Can Central force you on a via if you're not going to have the hours to make it back?

They told me to get an extension or a rescue... Extension wasn't possible because I can't extend drive time so now I'm waiting on my rescue.
If you look in Dispatching Procedures there is a 12 hour rule. A domicile that is not your home can not force on a VIA that will put back at your home domicile past 12 hours of your start time. So I wouldn’t think central could make you do it. Guess that could be a gray area. I use to carry a printed the page of the handbook and pissed EFH and INDY dispatchers off a couple times.

Just put the ELD into PC, comment “safe haven” and bring it in if your close. I’ve done that when I was 15 miles away from home domicile and out of hours. I’ve also just came back out of hours and told SCM then he told me to call central after I was all logged out. I told him to deal with it because I had to get to my sons school for parent teacher conference. No one said anything to me either time. Above occurrences happened years apart. Certainly wouldn’t abuse it. When I was at XPO I would get asked weekly “ Hey do you want to burn your 16 on a via?”

There is no jollies gotten.

No assumptions made. Your words, 450 unemployment is not enough. Therefore you are not free from wahtever is costing you more than that.

My story here is simply this. YOU are to go get that trailer if you want to keep your job. If you quit or otherwise refuse to on a workaround you wont do to go get it when told to... well...

450 isn't though to sit at home staring at the wall.

I won't get the trailer if I don't want to add there will be no repercussions because of what is being asked. I have turned down assignments before for more superficial reasons. It's all in the wording.

My lifestyle will never be as risk. You continue to make assumptions. My lifestyle is a 6 year old paid off car, the lowest rent in my area and strong budgeting. I like excess income because it allows me to save for later. I don't want to work until I'm 70, so I work as much as I can now stacking up as much as I can. You may be ok sitting at home getting 450 a week, I am not.

I've worked a lot more dangerous jobs for a lot less money. There are plans in place if something were to happen to me. Saying I shouldn't plan for retirement because I can die 10 miles down the road is stupid and why so many people work until they can't. It's a horrible plan.

If you look in Dispatching Procedures there is a 12 hour rule. A domicile that is not your home can not force on a VIA that will put back at your home domicile past 12 hours of your start time. So I wouldn’t think central could make you do it. Guess that could be a gray area. I use to carry a printed the page of the handbook and pissed EFH and INDY dispatchers off a couple times.

That's what I thought. In the future I'll request that be sent to me in a message by handheld.

Just put the ELD into PC, comment “safe haven” and bring it in if your close. I’ve done that when I was 15 miles away from home domicile and out of hours. I’ve also just came back out of hours and told SCM then he told me to call central after I was all logged out. I told him to deal with it because I had to get to my sons school for parent teacher conference. No one said anything to me either time. Above occurrences happened years apart. Certainly wouldn’t abuse it. When I was at XPO I would get asked weekly “ Hey do you want to burn your 16 on a via?”

I didn't even know we could use PC. Good to know.

They cannot force you to do something beyond your available hours. When talking to the entry level employee in Harrison, who knows not thing one about any of the thousands of rules WE all have to follow, insist on speaking to a Mgr. When said dikweed gets back on the line and says the Mgr just confirmed what he/she just told you. Mention that besides not knowing the regs they must also be hearing impaired. I want to speak to a Mgr. If you can't put him on,I can't move. All these conversations are recorded, no Mgr is going to direct order you to run out of hours. The worst part of the whole system. You know what you can or can't do plan accordingly. Include those morons in only when you're done or past the point of no return. Just fyi, the only skill those nitwits are required to have upon hiring are computer skills. For about 25k a year. Hence their complete lack of knowledge about everything from rules to just simple geography. Shame on them this time driver, but if you let it happen again, then that would be shame on you. Put up with nothing from those bots.
You're also an (At-Will) employee, don't ever say the company can't!

450 isn't though to sit at home staring at the wall.

I won't get the trailer if I don't want to add there will be no repercussions because of what is being asked. I have turned down assignments before for more superficial reasons. It's all in the wording.

My lifestyle will never be as risk. You continue to make assumptions. My lifestyle is a 6 year old paid off car, the lowest rent in my area and strong budgeting. I like excess income because it allows me to save for later. I don't want to work until I'm 70, so I work as much as I can now stacking up as much as I can. You may be ok sitting at home getting 450 a week, I am not.

I've worked a lot more dangerous jobs for a lot less money. There are plans in place if something were to happen to me. Saying I shouldn't plan for retirement because I can die 10 miles down the road is stupid and why so many people work until they can't. It's a horrible plan.
You have been carrying some kind of assumptions yourself if you want to go into that realm.

Never say never.

Life has a beginning and a ending for all of us. Ive had people have a meal with us in the truckstop and then killed a couple of miles down the road. Gone.

You never know.

We have had our last converstation. Obviously any further exchange will be futile and we will agree to disagree. Enjoy your lavish lifestyle while you can.

Another question

Can Central force you on a via if you're not going to have the hours to make it back?

They told me to get an extension or a rescue... Extension wasn't possible because I can't extend drive time so now I'm waiting on my rescue.
I was forced on a Saturday morning via out of RKI that I in no way could make it home. The OPS mgr. told me that all we have to do is give a driver enough time to make it the via point. I didn’t call central and whine.
I did the via. Then logged off and placed the eld on the jump seat after powering it off. Hooked 2 mty’s and drove to home center.
Next Monday I was called in the office at my center and ??? We’re asked. I explained what happened and never heard another word about it.

You have been carrying some kind of assumptions yourself if you want to go into that realm.

Never say never.

Life has a beginning and a ending for all of us. Ive had people have a meal with us in the truckstop and then killed a couple of miles down the road. Gone.

You never know.

We have had our last converstation. Obviously any further exchange will be futile and we will agree to disagree. Enjoy your lavish lifestyle while you can.

Lavish lifestyle? :lmao:

Yeah bud, keep hitting the post limit on stuff nobody reads because it's pointless and useless.

I'll pass on unemployment. 450/week isn't going to help me.

Trailer was 324 miles away from it needed to be, 30 miles from where they said it would be.

Their logistical errors and negligence created the errors. It was a hassle, but I don't mind too much because I get paid for everything.

My question was more for future reference because it didn't sit right with me that they tried to force me to do it. I would've done it if they would've said "we messed up, can you do this because if not it'll be a cluster". Cool. But don't say "supervisor said go get it and use your extension or get rescued". We're not doing that.
They always say in meetings that linehaul is their biggest expense. Last meeting they said that I told them I strongly disagree! They said what is then? I said stupidity! Central wastes more money than we could ever waste!

They always say in meetings that linehaul is their biggest expense. Last meeting they said that I told them I strongly disagree! They said what is then? I said stupidity! Central wastes more money than we could ever waste!
Biggest issue central was facing before I started driving was they were forcing a rotating schedule for the planners in order for new hires to be able to get day shifts.

They saw a few senior planners quit after that one.

Year or so ago we had a planner that was a dock super out of STL, he left shortly after for another company doing the same job but paid something like 15-20k/year more. Those guys make bottom dollar compared to planners for other LTLs.

Biggest issue central was facing before I started driving was they were forcing a rotating schedule for the planners in order for new hires to be able to get day shifts.

They saw a few senior planners quit after that one.

Year or so ago we had a planner that was a dock super out of STL, he left shortly after for another company doing the same job but paid something like 15-20k/year more. Those guys make bottom dollar compared to planners for other LTLs.
Agreed! When we had all the big wigs in Nashville in 2014 kissing babies and hugging drivers trying to keep union out.

I told them noone should be working in central without 5 yrs experience in a major hub. They said we can't get people to work as it is now. I said well if you start them at 85k you wouldn't have that problem, and the money competent dispatchers would save you would easily cancel out the higher pay...

Now that they are making senior dispatchers work nights so junior ones can work days some is stupid!

This company catering to employees that haven't proven themselves to the company, and crapping on the ones that have will be its downfall!

With economy in bad shape, and slow freight we will all see corporates true colors soon.