FedEx Freight | Road Driver Questions

Sounds like you need to start your own business.
As a matter fact my last raise at FedEx was 9%

I would, but I have a family to take care of so my bets have to be hedged.

And yet we’re on the ABF forum saying that we (ABF) should be happy with a 50-cent raise per hour a year on our upcoming contract starting July 1 of 2023. Care to explain the logic in us (ABF) only getting a 50-cent raise per hour next year while you enjoyed a 9% raise this year? What did that 9% raise amount to per hour? Around $3.00 an hour?

Just trust him. He knows better than anybody else.

And yet you were on the ABF forum saying that we (ABF) should be happy with a 50-cent raise per hour a year on our upcoming contract starting July 1 of 2023. Care to explain the logic in us (ABF) only getting a 50-cent raise per hour next year while you enjoyed a 9% raise this year? What did that 9% raise amount to per hour? Around $3.00 an hour?
Ill try ya again.
You have over $2400 a month put in on your behalf "before" you move a stick of freight per month.
You get more paid time off.
And we make roughly 6 or 7 bucks more an hour right now.
I guess the better question would be....would you rather have our go or ours right now?

I would, but I have a family to take care of so my bets have to be hedged.

Just trust him. He knows better than anybody else.
If you were you'd take the hundred grand and the 8% 401 k on top of it.
Its your main source of income yet some side gig that doesn't pay as much is better..
Real sound financial planning.

Ill try ya again.
You have over $2400 a month put in on your behalf "before" you move a stick of freight per month.
You get more paid time off.
And we make roughly 6 or 7 bucks more an hour right now.
I guess the better question would be....would you rather have our go or ours right now?
Wrong. You must work a minimum of three days in a work week for Health&Welfare coverage and our pension is paid on a daily rate of work. So, we get nothing paid on our behalf before we “move a stick of freight” as you put it. And if you are getting 8% contributed by your employer on your 401k, that is roughly another $2.65 per hour to figure in on your compensation package. Not to mention, our contributions are based on a 40-hour week. After 40-hours per week there are no more Health&Welfare or Pension contributions made on our behalf. I assume your 8% 401k is based on total hours worked and not just 40- hours per week?

Last edited:
Exactly why you guys have a union....
your a number...just like me.
You just made my point for me. Where I work, everything is by seniority and backed up by a contract. I am just a number like you, but there are contractual steps and procedures that must be followed to get rid of me. You on the other hand are at the mercy of your employer. Which is why I said that S69 is wise not to put all of his eggs in one basket. If he had an issue with his employer, he would be better prepared for the worse consequences by having those side jobs that pay well.

If you were you'd take the hundred grand and the 8% 401 k on top of it.
Its your main source of income yet some side gig that doesn't pay as much is better..
Real sound financial planning.

The 401k match on a 2k paycheck is around 150. I'll be ok, thanks.

How much does my.side work pay? You seem to have a solid grasp on the numbers you know nothing about.

Wrong. You must work a minimum of three days in a work week for Health&Welfare coverage and our pension is paid on a daily rate of work. So, we get nothing paid on our behalf before we “move a stick of freight” as you put it. And if you are getting 8% contributed by your employer on your 401k, that is roughly another $2.65 per hour to figure in on your compensation package. Not to mention, our contributions are based on a 40-hour week. After 40-hours per week there are no more Health&Welfare or Pension contributions made on our behalf. I assume your 8% 401k is based on total hours worked and not just 40- hours per week?
I don't get the 8%
I'm at the break even point with our "pension"
I few more years to work.
Don't you guys get a 401k as well?
Let me put it this way.... at the end of a moth that you work 40 hours per week they will contribute $2400 or more towards you pension and h&w.
Plus you have to contribute money to the the 401k to get the 8% and no more pension contributions and you u can't roll that money over or move it until you leave.

You just made my point for me. Where I work, everything is by seniority and backed up by a contract. I am just a number like you, but there are contractual steps and procedures that must be followed to get rid of me. You on the other hand are at the mercy of your employer. Which is why I said that S69 is wise not to put all of his eggs in one basket. If he had an issue with his employer, he would be better prepared for the worse consequences by having those side jobs that pay well.
Your right another reason why your job is better.
They'll bring that up at the negotiations as well.
He carries a cdl and I'd guess hazmat endorsement.
I wouldn't say he or anyone who is the same is in a bad spot.