ABF | road driver questions

Amon

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi, my names Amon and i'm new to the forums. I'm seriously considering getting back into driving (still have cdl with endorsements), and will only go with ABF,Yellow, or UPS. About 2.5 years ago I was interviewed at ABF chicago heights and was informed (off the record) that as a bottom 10 percent I could make more money as a road driver starting out and would not be on call as much. I was also informed that road drivers typically are out two days and back two and that starting out it would be possibly 3 days out & two days home. I ended up getting an office job i couldn't turn down..and walked from the ABF offer to come in for the road test. Anyhow I am wondering if the time out for road drivers is still two-three days out and two home? Also was wondering if it is indeed true that the road drivers are currently averaging 70 a year (obviously the new guys are gonna make a bit less)? Any road drivers out there who would like to give me their two cents ?? Thanks !

Amon,
Welcome to Truckingboards. The info you have is fairly accurate other than the 3 days out 2 days off thing. You'll usually have to work 5 or 6 days to get 2 off. And with the economy in the tank right now I'm not sure any Union carriers are hiring. Maybe next Spring would be a better time to try to get on as it looks like a long, slow winter in freight. Even most non Union carriers are very slow right now. Best of luck though. We'll all be here to help when the time comes.

Hey stldude44...appreciate the feed back, thx. So road drivers are generally home every 5 or 6 days? and not home every 2nd night? Thanks for the clarification. -Amon

It all depends on the company, work rules at the local service center and work availability. A typical run for a road driver for Roadway KC is Denver, bed, back to KC or Dallas, bed, back to KC. We also have sleepers that go to Southern California and back usually twice per week. Throw in the district work, say Omaha Ne and back to KC in the same day. There are many variables that are unique to each company and location.

Amon,
At ABF in Chicago at the bottom the work will be spotty. You will make more on the road as a general rule. Running the road out of Chicago you might have 3 beds before you get home. Once you get home you will wait on a work call once you get out you might want to stay out just to stay steady working when you at the bottom you have to take work where you can get it. It depends how far up the board you get as to how much $ you will make. Chicago - 034 is the best break bulk in the whole system to be at because of the rail yards there is never lay offs at 034. Every year all of the break bulks have big lay offs except 034. I know guys on the extra board who run real hard who make over 100K a year they never see there family ,butt they made good money. The point is once you move up the board there is usually more work than you want. I don't think you could hit 70k till your 2nd year if your lucky. ABF has to do 6 runs before you can get your 2 days off.

My .02 cents good luck!

Thanks much 12pack! thats exactly what I was wondering. Now I need to call and find out if they're taking apps right now for road. I also need to ask if they'll hire me with an Ohio CDL/hazmat (i moved from illinios 3 years ago) and then let me transfer it back to Illinois after hiring process. I got a good friend on the chicago ABF P&D ..maybe i'll ask him too

Your location on your profile is Dayton Oh? Dayton has road drivers layed off. You were asking about Chichago right?

I'm pretty sure it's between 40 and 50. Road drivers, that is.
we have a big barn i think just line is 250 or 260 not sure thats not city thats just line plus we have casuals, 5 that is we run 24/7 plus we pick up at the rail ..we dont i think that city that does that i llike my job it is the best we run all over it is nice ABF its the best ltl company....proud to be a Teamster :funky:

Hi, my names Amon and i'm new to the forums. I'm seriously considering getting back into driving (still have cdl with endorsements), and will only go with ABF,Yellow, or UPS. About 2.5 years ago I was interviewed at ABF chicago heights and was informed (off the record) that as a bottom 10 percent I could make more money as a road driver starting out and would not be on call as much. I was also informed that road drivers typically are out two days and back two and that starting out it would be possibly 3 days out & two days home. I ended up getting an office job i couldn't turn down..and walked from the ABF offer to come in for the road test. Anyhow I am wondering if the time out for road drivers is still two-three days out and two home? Also was wondering if it is indeed true that the road drivers are currently averaging 70 a year (obviously the new guys are gonna make a bit less)? Any road drivers out there who would like to give me their two cents ?? Thanks !

2.5 years ago is quite awhile ago and I suspect that you may need to go through the application process again. The good thing is that if you were called for a road test you made it through the screening. Bad thing is that at the moment they have suspended hiring, for both city and road in Chicago.

As far as the road goes, the ATO (accumulated time off) in Chicago states 6 tours of duty, 36 or 48 hours off. After 12 tours 36, 48, 60, or 72 hours off.

As far as 12 packs comments, they are right on the money. Good advice.

We had an impromptu meeting of the city and road stewards and we are afraid that the city may have a short layoff forthcoming.

I would still go back and reapply in Chicago, and tell them that you're interested and get the application going, but careful, once you pick your destiny here, there is no changing. (road to city and vice versa)

Good luck friend, and if you manage to get here to Chicago, look me up.
Mikey

12 pack how many drivers do yo all have in your barn ?..... road @city thanks

There is 41 on the road board and one retiring 11-30-07. We have had 5 retire one quit and the Ops manager said we wont hire now till the contract is signed no matter how many retire. The city board I am not positive i think there is 45?

we have a big barn i think just line is 250 or 260 not sure thats not city thats just line plus we have casuals, 5 that is we run 24/7 plus we pick up at the rail ..we dont i think that city that does that i llike my job it is the best we run all over it is nice ABF its the best ltl company....proud to be a Teamster :funky:

You out of 120?

There is 41 on the road board and one retiring 11-30-07. We have had 5 retire one quit and the Ops manager said we wont hire now till the contract is signed no matter how many retire. The city board I am not positive i think there is 45?

As long as they don't start using "marketing partners" to pu and d our work. Follow the contract and local supplement to the T. Those jobs need to be protected. I know it sounds crazy, but you really don't want to have a depleted seniority list at contract signing.

S*#T I wish they would hire another 10 under me we are forcing foreign drivers to haul our freight 150 times a month now and the suits won't hire. I don't really know anyone in the city i have herd them complain about "marketing partners" some of them are union carriers i believe but not all.