XPO | Road drivers doing City work

Sling Blade said:
Are Con-Way linehaul drivers ever forced to do city work when they get back?

Or do you all just work the dock?
i would say no.because we have to have are 10 hr off to clocking and run that night. now if you run a short run say xco to xto and you get back real early and want to work the FAC,inbound. and if there is any city ready you maybe asked to do it but as far as i know you are not forced to do it

that's the beauty in what we do !!! they can use you in what ever capacity they need at any certain time.... you have a bid sheet .... however that is just a selection of your work preferences... If they line up with what's going on great if not then you will be forced to work outside the box ...It happens sometimes but as a rule it usually does not

i beg to differ on "being made" to do city work when you return from fac,.as some of you may know @xef we have the big sherwin williams account we get anyhere from 6-14 loads a day out of there all on 53' vans,..well our I/B supervisor will have guys get the early morning loads when they come in from xsl,xsw and in some cases xin our 3 shortest runs. any how one friday morning about 2 weeks ago me and another driver was in the office he asked the senior driver if he would like to get a load of paint ,.the driver said no i worked all night and i am exhausted. well i had told the fos i was tired as well and i didnt want to go get any paint ,.the fos's exact works were " i dont give f@#k what you want,.your goin to get paint" now somebody tell me that we arnt made to do anything around here. the ironic thing to all this is,.he will have L/H drivers get this paint in there all the time we got flex drivers getting 20 hrs week at best,..sitting at home. also those loads will sit in the yard till about 2 or 3 oclock then they will bring guys in to move it.

The company can "use" you up to your available hours. They can not "make" you drive after 14 consecutive hours on duty (exception is 16 hours 1 day in each 7 day period); nor can they force you over 11 hour drive time. They also can not use you to drive after 60 hours on duty for the week.

So, if you get back from a reship with an hour or two available, there's nothing holding them back from sending you back out. In my terminal, this is done on a volunteer basis as needed, unless you are the bottom guy. Then you're @#$%$^ untill you earn some seniority.

Welcome to the lovely life of LTL.