XPO | Road vs p&d pay.

smokin'joe

Just Smokin' the Blues...
Credits
Anyone ever wonder why the road guys do so much better than the p&d guys?

so hard to care anymore....

do they really i know in pay but road guys also give alot more up, sleep getting thier full weekend working fridy nights when everyone else is partying if you have kids missing things they are involed in the wear and tear on your body etc..... so does the difference in pay make up for it i mean my family gets everything they want and need, i also can buy what i want but just no time to use it lol

As a non Con-Way employee(never have been) I'll jump in here as this is more of an industry question than Con-Way specific. The answer is simple, 'supply and demand'. What linehaul drivers are paid is the result of what the industry has to offer for compensation to get the job done. The vast, vast majority of P&D drivers would no way in hell be willing to do our jobs for what they are currently get paid in the city, thus LTL companies have to offer the pay package they do to get the positions filled. The vast majority of P&D drivers I know would never do linehaul even if they got paid what linehaul drivers do.

As a non Con-Way employee(never have been) I'll jump in here as this is more of an industry question than Con-Way specific. The answer is simple, 'supply and demand'. What linehaul drivers are paid is the result of what the industry has to offer for compensation to get the job done. The vast, vast majority of P&D drivers would no way in hell be willing to do our jobs for what they are currently get paid in the city, thus LTL companies have to offer the pay package they do to get the positions filled. The vast majority of P&D drivers I know would never do linehaul even if they got paid what linehaul drivers do.

Then you also have road drivers that would no way in hell work in the city at road pay...

I'm a linehaul driver and plan on staying that way,at least until they change the old strike in your bucket BS. A city driver makes less but has a greater risk of filling his bucket versus's a road driver.

Not saying one is harder than the other. I think they equal each other out at the end of the day. Maybe some difference in pay but maybe the gap should be closed a little....

well, working in the city at road pay will never happen anywhere. I don't work the city for one main reason; pay, why would I volunteer for a $25,000 per year pay cut? Also who wants to listen all day long on the two-way from that dispatcher with a Jethro Bodine education?

well, working in the city at road pay will never happen anywhere. I don't work the city for one main reason; pay, why would I volunteer for a $25,000 per year pay cut? Also who wants to listen all day long on the two-way from that dispatcher with a Jethro Bodine education?

I did just that one year, I was forced to days and took a $25k pay cut. Needless to say I went back on line first chance I had. Line guys do make more, but they also lose out on a lot. The sleep thing goes without saying but my main complaint is how much we're paid for a PTO day. Only getting 8 hours pay when you normally work 12-14 is hard on the wallet. I've brought that up to my management and suggested to just average out the last month's pay to see how much you should get paid for a PTO day, or even average out your last years salary. In typical Con-way management fashion I was told that would be too difficult for the company to do. I'm only High-school educated but I can divide on a calculator. 65,000 divided by 52= 1250/5= $250. That's how much a line driver should get for a PTO day if he made $65,000 last year. Just my two cents.....

Down here in the SOUTH, I actually make MORE when I'm on vacation that when I'm at work.....

Down here in the SOUTH, I actually make MORE when I'm on vacation that when I'm at work.....

Sounds like somebody needs a hug...why do scm's make more than an. Fos ??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have alot of respect for the (night) linehaul guys. They give up alot for the job and should be compensated for it. I have never done a full linehaul bid, but have filled in for a few weeks here and there when needed. I don't mind the job, but I'm happier dealing with the public every day rather than making the big bucks.

We need experienced guys on linehaul and closing the gap in pay would make much of that experience go away from the linehaul operation.

The only thing better would be a day line run, which are far and few in our operation.

I gave up alot of money selling my truck and coming off the long road to do P&D. But I did that for a reason, and it wasn't about the money.

I think I'm going back to linehaul as well. I find our TM putting more and more on me, and I'm not getting paid any more for it. I do think it's a toss-up on the bucket list.... one roll over on line haul, and your done. I feel it's a give and take thing for both jobs, for me it's more like a 30.000 pay cut.

All the line drivers at my barn work from 12 to 14 hours a day and each and every one of them use there 16 every week.....
Dont know of any city driver at my barn that does that, but they still cant figure out why the line drivers make more...duh....???

P&D is where its at. I get paid to drive around all day and listen to the radio. No forced laydowns,no working an FAC in the middle of night, and not having to become a creature of the night just to stay awake. Linehaulers earn every $$$ because thats a tough job. You can have it.

My family comes first,we do just fine city pay.

Your talking about your own co-workers there. They care about their families also. That's why they grind out all they can. To have better things..

I'm like you, I don't want no part of it. Nor do I need a few thousand more a year. I do just fine.

I was in the city the last 2.5 years until this year. I was lead man last year working about 60hrs a week. We dont get payed OT until 50 hrs down here. This year im on nights because they were supposed to cut out all over time. Im making more money now but my weekends are shot! I get home saturday around 10 or 11am. Saturday im to tired to do anything and sunday im still tired. Ive considered going back to the city next year but i cant afford it. Either way i have no life. In the city i went to work before my family was up. I got home and they were all in bed. I think i see them more now on nights because at least i get 2 hrs at night with them before i leave for work.