XPO | Road vs p&d pay.

I did just that one year, I was forced to days and took a $25k pay cut. Needless to say I went back on line first chance I had. Line guys do make more, but they also lose out on a lot. The sleep thing goes without saying but my main complaint is how much we're paid for a PTO day. Only getting 8 hours pay when you normally work 12-14 is hard on the wallet. I've brought that up to my management and suggested to just average out the last month's pay to see how much you should get paid for a PTO day, or even average out your last years salary. In typical Con-way management fashion I was told that would be too difficult for the company to do. I'm only High-school educated but I can divide on a calculator. 65,000 divided by 52= 1250/5= $250. That's how much a line driver should get for a PTO day if he made $65,000 last year. Just my two cents.....

You are thinking about fairness and equality Mr Driver...that is something not in the Con-Way manifesto...

Why in the hell would the company pay you a fairs days wage on your PTO when they can use that money to augment Mr Dougie's compensation package...salary...bonuses...stock options...ridiculous relocation expenses...and the never ending diatribe of blaming the company's problems on the previous leadership.(John L.) all the while Dougie was where?

Your fair share is the 3/4 page DSR newsletter you recieve once a month via the internet telling what a great job you are doing...albeit not quite enough...more ...more ...more. A 95.3 OR isn't going to cut it...next quarter they will want a 93.

Be satisfied with your eight hours...it is all your ever going to get.

Rat

I'm a linehaul driver and plan on staying that way,at least until they change the old strike in your bucket BS. A city driver makes less but has a greater risk of filling his bucket versus's a road driver.

I agree with you somewhat but heres where you got to be smarter then them you just slow down more , take you time more double check triple check be more carefull and you can get job done safe and without issues you just can't rush main thing !! I do it everyday slow and easy win s the race !! don't matter how much they scream at you go a relaxed pace All the time !!

I agree with you somewhat but heres where you got to be smarter then them you just slow down more , take you time more double check triple check be more carefull and you can get job done safe and without issues you just can't rush main thing !! I do it everyday slow and easy win s the race !! don't matter how much they scream at you go a relaxed pace All the time !!

You actually get more done that way.

As a non Con-Way employee(never have been) I'll jump in here as this is more of an industry question than Con-Way specific. The answer is simple, 'supply and demand'. What linehaul drivers are paid is the result of what the industry has to offer for compensation to get the job done. The vast, vast majority of P&D drivers would no way in hell be willing to do our jobs for what they are currently get paid in the city, thus LTL companies have to offer the pay package they do to get the positions filled. The vast majority of P&D drivers I know would never do linehaul even if they got paid what linehaul drivers do.

Coming from a city driver, I'd LOVE to run linehaul! A majority of our senior guys run it out of our barn. That's just the problem. A lot of our senior guys run it out of our barn. No shot for a guy like me who's been here a year and a half. I'll have to have 5+ years in just to have a shot at going to Birmingham (about 400 miles roundtrip). All the money runs (Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Tallahassee) you have to have close to 15 years in to get one of those every night.

Coming from a city driver, I'd LOVE to run linehaul! A majority of our senior guys run it out of our barn. That's just the problem. A lot of our senior guys run it out of our barn. No shot for a guy like me who's been here a year and a half. I'll have to have 5+ years in just to have a shot at going to Birmingham (about 400 miles roundtrip). All the money runs (Nashville, Knoxville, Charlotte, Tallahassee) you have to have close to 15 years in to get one of those every night.

Al of us senior guys were in your position years ago. We hung on to get where we are now.

Al of us senior guys were in your position years ago. We hung on to get where we are now.

I know that when you start of at a new job, being the low guy on the totem pole kinda sucks. But there are a lot of guys at this company that have been here the whole time it's been in existence (especially in the south, it and southwest were the last two con-ways to form). There are a bunch of guys that have never really had it that bad. We've got one guy at our yard who has never been in the city. It's nice when you can start a new job being the most senior guy at the barn. So the amount of time you have to hang on just gets longer and longer. We have a good number of guys who have 15+ in, but the problem is, they're mostly below 50 years old. They've got a long way to go before they're ready to hang it up. From where I'm sitting I'm looking at a long steep hill to climb.

And I gotta add I don't blame anyone for being loyal to their job and sticking around at a place like a lot of the guys here at this company. It's just a long hard row to hoe when you're at the bottom nowadays.

I know that when you start of at a new job, being the low guy on the totem pole kinda sucks. But there are a lot of guys at this company that have been here the whole time it's been in existence (especially in the south, it and southwest were the last two con-ways to form). There are a bunch of guys that have never really had it that bad. We've got one guy at our yard who has never been in the city. It's nice when you can start a new job being the most senior guy at the barn. So the amount of time you have to hang on just gets longer and longer. We have a good number of guys who have 15+ in, but the problem is, they're mostly below 50 years old. They've got a long way to go before they're ready to hang it up. From where I'm sitting I'm looking at a long steep hill to climb.

The company is relatively young, and the older it gets, well....the longer it will take to get what you want. I've got many years in, but still cant' get what I want. I'll probably be a 20 year employee before I get what I want, that is of course if they continue to use sub-service.

Look at Old Dominion, they don't use any sub-service. We could go back to team operations and not use as much sub-service. OD makes plenty of money.

The company is relatively young, and the older it gets, well....the longer it will take to get what you want. I've got many years in, but still cant' get what I want. I'll probably be a 20 year employee before I get what I want, that is of course if they continue to use sub-service.

Look at Old Dominion, they don't use any sub-service. We could go back to team operations and not use as much sub-service. OD makes plenty of money.

This is my new campaign, to try to be more like OD.

You hit the nail on the head right there! I'm going to assume that going into a company with a history or at a reallly large yard, moving up doesn't take quite as long because you have a lot of guys in different stages of their careers, with lots of guys retiring/leaving all the time. We only have 80-100 drivers at my yard between city and l/h with only 23 linehaul spots (going down to 21 @ bid), so the deck is a little stacked.

You hit the nail on the head right there! I'm going to assume that going into a company with a history or at a reallly large yard, moving up doesn't take quite as long because you have a lot of guys in different stages of their careers, with lots of guys retiring/leaving all the time. We only have 80-100 drivers at my yard between city and l/h with only 23 linehaul spots (going down to 21 @ bid), so the deck is a little stacked.

We're starting the bid process this week, and as part of the process our TM put up a seniority sheet. I was excited when I saw I have 13 drivers under me... then I looked up and saw the other 74 above me.

well, first you must like what you are doing! I know I have been here since 1984 and been a road driver all that time. I have been home everynight to eat supper with my family, was home to get the boys off to school, slept then up when they got home from school. That being said, our city guys do not know when they are getting off. they are working 14 hours a day. Some come in for saturday work. I know I have a better life then the city guys. Money seems the same at our place, as a matter of fact I know that there are some city guys that will gross more then me! I really do not care, I make a good liveing that is within my means, I am happy with what I do, the city is harder phycially I sit behind the wheel for 8-9 hours a night making 33 bucks an hour. While the city guys are jumping in and out of the trucks and dealing with customer. Not me. Life is good.

well, first you must like what you are doing! I know I have been here since 1984 and been a road driver all that time. I have been home everynight to eat supper with my family, was home to get the boys off to school, slept then up when they got home from school. That being said, our city guys do not know when they are getting off. they are working 14 hours a day. Some come in for saturday work. I know I have a better life then the city guys. Money seems the same at our place, as a matter of fact I know that there are some city guys that will gross more then me! I really do not care, I make a good liveing that is within my means, I am happy with what I do, the city is harder phycially I sit behind the wheel for 8-9 hours a night making 33 bucks an hour. While the city guys are jumping in and out of the trucks and dealing with customer. Not me. Life is good.

Do you ever have any trouble getting the bid you want? Or do you have a lot of time in?
Nevermind..i just figured it out..yeah.1984..Haha