XPO | Rumor Mill: It's going again!

Customers are unhappy as it is now, with so many missed pick ups every day and damages through the roof I don't think it's likely they would do anything to further impede service.

Just another kick at the can. Some vp proclaims we must get ot down to 5%. It lasts a few days. We cannot do it with the staffing levels we have. It will fade just like the no pick ups after 4:00.
Kind of like management telling line haul drivers to make sure you fuel in 10 minutes, hook in twenty, or explain why it took longer. I would need a new pen every day if I did that. This company is penny wise and pound foolish. Allowing damage like we do and getting on us for hook times and o/t.

Kind of like management telling line haul drivers to make sure you fuel in 10 minutes, hook in twenty, or explain why it took longer. I would need a new pen every day if I did that. This company is penny wise and pound foolish. Allowing damage like we do and getting on us for hook times and o/t.

The pre-trip inspection that we teach to the students in our driving school takes 35 minutes or more. I realize no one actually takes that long to pre-trip. Just cut corners and don't worry about safety.

Sounds like they still have the mentality that they are the only Freight Company out there and they decide when the customer is open and closed. Nothing different than before. Every Trucking Company will miss a pick up every now and then , but it can become a problem for it to happen on a consistent basis.

Just another kick at the can. Some vp proclaims we must get ot down to 5%. It lasts a few days. We cannot do it with the staffing levels we have. It will fade just like the no pick ups after 4:00.
been in trucking for a long time and see this same thing year after year. This always happens around this time of the year. Then comes spring and the freight volumes pick up and the talk of this dies till next year.

The pre-trip inspection that we teach to the students in our driving school takes 35 minutes or more. I realize no one actually takes that long to pre-trip. Just cut corners and don't worry about safety.
years ago I work for another new to the LTL world. I will never forget the day we had a meeting and were told that it should only take 9mins from the time I punch in to leave the yard. That was to included getting my bills, hooking the trailer and doing a pre-trip and driving past the gate reader. This company had gate readers on the gate can you guess who? During the meeting I informed them that per DOT I must show a min. of 15mins for a pre-trip inspection. They didn't care and pushed the issue for a little time and then it just disappeared.

Sounds like they still have the mentality that they are the only Freight Company out there and they decide when the customer is open and closed. Nothing different than before. Every Trucking Company will miss a pick up every now and then , but it can become a problem for it to happen on a consistent basis.
also that and we can leave the barn at noon with 8 deliveries and the one in the nose is a 1400hr appt. along with making pickups that close at 1500hrs. Along with that cutting more equipment from the barns. having drivers standing around with loads and no trucks to drive and that with out any equipment out of service. When that happens then it even worst.
We are now seeing the bean counters going into overdrive.

We are supposed to pre and post trip on our own time. Paperwork too. City drivers no, just linehaul. I was using wash code 161 on my pay sheet every day to clean mirrors etc. and my fos said that needs to be done on my time as well. I laughed as I walked away. It is hard to care about all this job entails when management busts your nuts all the time. And by the way, make sure you dispatch on time to make me look good. Yeah, right. When it's all said and done, I have never been denied a pay claim on my pay sheet, so I just smile and say, "whatever you want"!

We are supposed to pre and post trip on our own time. Paperwork too. City drivers no, just linehaul. I was using wash code 161 on my pay sheet every day to clean mirrors etc. and my fos said that needs to be done on my time as well. I laughed as I walked away. It is hard to care about all this job entails when management busts your nuts all the time. And by the way, make sure you dispatch on time to make me look good. Yeah, right. When it's all said and done, I have never been denied a pay claim on my pay sheet, so I just smile and say, "whatever you want"!
Tried that on me 1 day. Our barn is 3 block from 2 big truck stops. They were watching me first thru the GPS then followed me 1 day. Asked me why I stopped to clean my windows & mirrors before my first customer. Told them it was un safe to drive any further & they were out of paper towels & glass cleaner & the barn. Told me to go buy some cleaning supplies. Asked for petty cash & told them I would bring a receipt. Thhey said no. I said see ya @ the truck stop. After a couple of weeks they found someone else to pick on. I also filed a grievance for harassment, knowing it would go no where. Just wanted it on paper. Union withdrew it & that was ok, but I had it on paper a history of the company picking on me.

At our barn, most of our senior drivers get OT everyday while flex board guys come in at 1430-1500. Some days we get to come in earlier. With that said, we still miss a TON of freight. Missed 2 pickups yesterday because our "dispatch" doesn't seem to get it. Had a driver on the dock (me) at 1430 after I did 1 delivery. Got back, asked him if he had anything, said nope, I just chuckled and got on a motor. Buddy of mine who I talked to earlier said he doubts he's gonna make all his pickups, with starting late and driving back an forth. He got back and sure enough, didn't get 2 pickups cause they were closed. Thing that gets me, is that we have drivers coming back with half a trailer empty, if not completely empty. Why not send them to do the pickups instead of making 1 guy run like crazy to get all this stuff. They were close to the area! grrr

At our barn, most of our senior drivers get OT everyday while flex board guys come in at 1430-1500. Some days we get to come in earlier. With that said, we still miss a TON of freight. Missed 2 pickups yesterday because our "dispatch" doesn't seem to get it. Had a driver on the dock (me) at 1430 after I did 1 delivery. Got back, asked him if he had anything, said nope, I just chuckled and got on a motor. Buddy of mine who I talked to earlier said he doubts he's gonna make all his pickups, with starting late and driving back an forth. He got back and sure enough, didn't get 2 pickups cause they were closed. Thing that gets me, is that we have drivers coming back with half a trailer empty, if not completely empty. Why not send them to do the pickups instead of making 1 guy run like crazy to get all this stuff. They were close to the area! grrr
Common sense in dispatch stopped when they stopped promoting drivers into fos positions, and bought in college kids.

also that and we can leave the barn at noon with 8 deliveries and the one in the nose is a 1400hr appt. along with making pickups that close at 1500hrs. Along with that cutting more equipment from the barns. having drivers standing around with loads and no trucks to drive and that with out any equipment out of service. When that happens then it even worst.
We are now seeing the bean counters going into overdrive.

This guy just won the internets. Hit the nail right on the head.

Common sense in dispatch stopped when they stopped promoting drivers into fos positions, and bought in college kids.
Man did you ever nail this one. Imagine a 4 yr degree in Anthropologie & the first job the grad has is dispatch. Seen it way to many times. And @ least a third never made past a year. How can you manage & dispatch 40 city drivers @ a time when you have never experienced just what they do. 50 to 60 % of 24 year old graduates are not working in the field of their Degree. So why hire the grad when you can hire from within? von.

Last edited:
Man did you ever nail this one. Imagine a 4 yr degree in Anthropologie & the first job the grad has is dispatch. Seen it way to many times. And @ least a third never made past a year. How can you manage & dispatch 40 city drivers @ a time when you have never experienced just what they do. 50 to 60 % of 24 year old graduates are not working in the field of their Degree. So why hire the grad when you can hire from within? von.
Easy they get them cheap. It's their first job usually.