Averitt | Rumor Mill, Let's hear it !

I believe a long time ago, like 5-7 years they changed their hiring practices from the guaranteed home on weekends to saying home weekly with recruiters and everyone else knowing that most are home most weekends. They also say they try to get you a reset but that it wont always happen, so if you read between the lines that means that it's expected to sometimes get home sat, leave sunday etc.
About 5 years ago the option was offered to do the 2 weeks out guaranteed 3 days off, some still do it. Either way, I'm not being critical but sometimes a little bs isnt worth changing the job over, there is always going to be something somewhere it's just finding the job that has the bs that's tolerable to you and your family, if it's home every weekend stick to your guns.
I know what the policy was when I hired on 7.5 yrs ago, again AVRT T/L is trying to squeeze as much as they can out of you. It's only a job , nothing more or less. The whole idea is to make as much money as you can, while spending as LITTLE TIME as you can in the truck. Spending 5-6 days in the truck, doing local-300 mile loads all week sucks, as you know. I also have a real life, the least amount of time I spend in the truck,means more time I spend with my family doing the things I want to do. There are people in CKV who seem not to understand this, If AVRT ever goes to a mandatory 2 week work period, there WILL be a mass exit.

If AVRT ever goes to a mandatory 2 week work period, there WILL be a mass exit.
I would not want to see anyone out of work but I would like to see the wizards of smart that think they are so smart in running a trucking company squirm and writhe to get the job done and they would fail. Beautiful. But just think of what they would say in the Pravda. They would SO SO sugar coat it with the normal cache of lies and misinformation.

A fellow driver spoke with a LANDSTAR driver at TIF this week, looks like the contract they have with us expires in a week. Looks like we will be pulling our own frieght again IN HOUSE!

I hope you are right, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another company step in their place. A few years ago I sat and talked to a freymiller driver, who at the time had the contract and he said the majority of their loads for us were on the weekends. They also tend to take freight to areas where we have difficulties getting back hauls like har.

A T/L driver that I respect, told me that drivers do not want the new qualcomm's and are willing to quit over it. We both got a GOOD laugh over it, they fail to realize that paperless logs are the way to go. So I went to the company employment site.....OMG! we are looking for T/L drivers ALL over the system,and LTL shuttle,combo, and dedicated, I can't believe it!

I'm not surprised jeepman. I'm averaging 1800 to 2000 miles a week if I get a 2400 mile week I'm in hog heaven but that doesn't happen often. It seems like we are no longer a trucking company but a "take your 10 hour break" company. I don't get it. Averitt has to be making boat loads on these short mile loads to have us sit and sit and sit. It's a joke no wonder they can't keep drivers...

A T/L driver that I respect, told me that drivers do not want the new qualcomm's and are willing to quit over it. We both got a GOOD laugh over it, they fail to realize that paperless logs are the way to go. So I went to the company employment site.....OMG! we are looking for T/L drivers ALL over the system,and LTL shuttle,combo, and dedicated, I can't believe it!
I see TL tractors sitting around all the time. This is what happens to a company that has had **** poor management for too many years.

Those jobs on the company website..... I think they stay up there irregardless if we have an opening or not, but they are still hiring either way even as it slows!

Those jobs on the company website..... I think they stay up there irregardless if we have an opening or not, but they are still hiring either way even as it slows!
Averitt has acquired a reputation for being what it is and quality prospects stay away in droves. The people that come through the doors to apply are thugs and ne'er do wells. Averitt has to have warm bodies to take care of it's dying business so these types are hired and can be evidenced throughout our system. Pathetic given what the standards were only 10 years ago.

I'm not surprised jeepman. I'm averaging 1800 to 2000 miles a week if I get a 2400 mile week I'm in hog heaven but that doesn't happen often. It seems like we are no longer a trucking company but a "take your 10 hour break" company. I don't get it. Averitt has to be making boat loads on these short mile loads to have us sit and sit and sit. It's a joke no wonder they can't keep drivers...
I hear you, for a long period this summer I was doing 2200-2500 a week, now 1600-1800 in 5 days is the norm. Those short crappy loads are ones that the other carriers are not doing. I get the feeling we are being set up for a 2 week out deal, and in my case that ain't going to happen. The real problem in T/L is the PLANNERS! This computer logging is unsurping their long held domination over fleet managers and drivers. I get the feeling they are feeding the loads and miles to fleet managers and drivers that are willing to kiss their A$$es. We drivers down in my part of the country know that our fleet manager and a certian planner are fueding and have so for a long time. The T/L freight is there, the holiday shipping season is here, and we are pulling the crap loads or going to preload trailers for others before we get our load home..Case in point...Your at JMS...they want you to go preload down in Laurel MS, for Greenville TX, bring it back to JMS, then you get to get your home load. While you are doing this the JMS T/L people are coming in and going home. This burns me since my yard is 692 milkes away, which mean I HAVE to take a 10 brk enrte home. Better yet taking up the better part of a day and a half on a HONDA Loudon- Alhperetta 155 miles.

Averitt has acquired a reputation for being what it is and quality prospects stay away in droves. The people that come through the doors to apply are thugs and ne'er do wells. Averitt has to have warm bodies to take care of it's dying business so these types are hired and can be evidenced throughout our system. Pathetic given what the standards were only 10 years ago.
Wow, you are either burned out or depressed.

I get the feeling we are being set up for a 2 week out deal, and in my case that ain't going to happen. The real problem in T/L is the PLANNERS!
The real problem is a bucket load of problems throughout this company and the suits cannot see it. They are blind to the realities of their operation. I will say it again like I have said so many times before...Until this outfit is sold and the new owners rid Averitt of it's current has-been upper management or Gary has an epiphany and realizes that his top 10 leaders of the company are washed up, there will be no change and will get progressively worse.

There have been some outside consultants from other companies that have come in and made some poor suggestions and the washed up leaders of this company have bought them wholesale and look what has happened as a result.

All of the hubub over the 40th anniversary may make them all feel warm and fuzzy but I would be shocked to see a 50th anniversary. IMHO, Averitt will be bought and sucked into another larger corporation and at that point who knows. I do, however, know that they are on a rudderless ship. I am not the one to fix it but I know screwed up when I see it.

Saw our Terminal Manager walking on the dock one day this week. I was in an utter state of shock! I was unaware that he actually knew how to find his way out to the dock from his little computer answering and sending emails in his orifice. Upon further review I saw the regional manager walking the dock with him. That answered the question as to why he was out there.

When we get slammed our Terminal Manager changes into his work clothes and hit's the dock, another explanation for Knx's smooth operation, leading by example.
He was spotted at a local deli at lunch in his dirty work clothes and an ex-employee called one of my friends and asked if he had been demoted to the dock, pretty funny.

This is what they are supposed to do but not ours. To see this man anywhere besides his orifice is, indeed, a rarity. Pretty much the same story with our ops man.

Averitt puts out the following statement on the employees website last week:

In next week's "This Week on Inside Averitt," we're rolling out a new way you can keep up with everything going on with our team.
What is it? We can't tell you that now, but here's a hint: if all of its "friends" were a country, it would be the third most-populated in the world!

Yes, this is the kind of childish drivel we get from the Pravda-like company website. No, I will not be "liking" Averitt on Facebook. :438: