Averitt | Rumor Mill, Let's hear it !

I'm not asking for the WORLD....Just pump up the pay on a EQUAL basis........I would love to be making .44 right now.....They should give another BUMP when you hit 7years, then another at 10. What's wrong with another weeks vacation, or even being able to carry over any unused vacation hrs, with a max of 40hrs carried over. At ONE TIME AVERITT had the BEST of THE BEST at ALL LEVELS....Now no so much. Want to attract and KEEP the Best Managers, Best Dock people, Best Mechanic's and of course the BEST Drivers it takes $$$$$..When you have the best...accidents are almost non exsistant , Shipper and Cons complaints, along with freight damage is a thing of the past, equipment is better taken care of by drivers ,along with the savings realized with better maintenance, which results in more overall profit. How about DRIVER INPUT of equipment, after all we are the ones operating it!......ONE OTHER thing how about doing something about the parking lot at MONTGOMERY....you can almost go fishing in those holes!

I'm not asking for the WORLD....Just pump up the pay on a EQUAL basis........I would love to be making .44 right now.....They should give another BUMP when you hit 7years, then another at 10. What's wrong with another weeks vacation, or even being able to carry over any unused vacation hrs, with a max of 40hrs carried over. At ONE TIME AVERITT had the BEST of THE BEST at ALL LEVELS....Now no so much. Want to attract and KEEP the Best Managers, Best Dock people, Best Mechanic's and of course the BEST Drivers it takes $$$$$..When you have the best...accidents are almost non exsistant , Shipper and Cons complaints, along with freight damage is a thing of the past, equipment is better taken care of by drivers ,along with the savings realized with better maintenance, which results in more overall profit. How about DRIVER INPUT of equipment, after all we are the ones operating it!......ONE OTHER thing how about doing something about the parking lot at MONTGOMERY....you can almost go fishing in those holes!
Do you hear this Neal St.? Do you care Neal St.? My guess is no you do not.
We have ALL of these 20 year + people on board and you are NOT taking care of them. There is not a shuttle, combo, TL, dedicated driver throughout our system that should be sub $.50 per mile, PERIOD! You are making money hand over fist and your reputation of screwing over your willing drivers is the reason nobody other than burger flippers wants to come to work here. You have lost HUNDREDS of EXCELLENT drivers over the years to the competition because they were getting the short end of the stick here. ALL of our competitors are above $0.50 per mile. Union guys are in the $.60 range or higher and their fuel, equipment, facility costs are no more than AE's.
Do you people not get it or are you just intentionally taking advantage of your <ahem> driving force. It is pathetic.

I'll get off of my soapbox because I am just pl$$llng in the wind.

Now I hear more ridiculousness that they are pulling all newer standard tranny volvo's off the road because of fuel mileage. They are truly starting to look and operate is stupid as andy "dummmy" averitt..

Now I hear more ridiculousness that they are pulling all newer standard tranny volvo's off the road because of fuel mileage. They are truly starting to look and operate is stupid as andy "dummmy" averitt..
What is stupid about trying to save every cent we can on fuel? My 21247 with a clutch averaged 6.0 mpg and my new Volvo has averaged 7.4 from day one. That's a saving of 276.00 a week on a 2500 mile run @3.50 a gallon. In today's economy if I had a more economical car in my possession I would be driving it back and forth to work. Put the fuel hogs in the city that run 100 miles a day verses us who run 500 plus.

Had my new auto Volvo for 15,000 miles now. 7.6 mpg average,seems like a great truck. Smooth when backing, unlike the FL auto.

I will also say I can't tell ANY difference in my '13 Volvo manual vs. my '14 Volvo automatic in fuel economy.

Yep, save that fuel, increase the pocket lining of little Dick and his ilk. You and I will see bupkis, as usual.

On the weekends that I've ran extra I've saw some numbers that made me question if the truck could be accurate on it's mpg display, I've ran an empty to cincy (270 miles and saw 9.4mpg) and well over 8 is common unless I'm tapping the 40k plus in the trailer then it still beats 7mpg easily. I think that "econo-roll does wonders for the fuel mileage combined with the skip shifting the automatic does now, I just wish it had the smart shifter that allowed you to down shift it manually

Yes sir you are right, but those new volvos just allow you to hold it in a gear like when you are coming off a big hill, but not to manually down shift, therefore it bogs down to 1100 rpms when climbing hills before down shifting, which can be a little frustrating but I guess it does well for the mpg

Correct, MPG is the main reason for not being able to downshift, you can switch to manual after it drops a gear and allow it told hold the gear longer instead of shifting too quick in the pull.

Always rumors........ so here's a couple. Is AE is wanting to step away from outside carriers like JNJ and Landstar and is wanting to try dedicating a set number, like 40 or so truckload guys to running LTL at truckload pay all week.
Has there been any terminals where there have been an unusual amount of drivers quit for other opportunities? Is that why TX freight was piling up? Any shops where multiple guys quit at once? I heard that happened at Dallas not too long ago? Just curious if others took the step to other carriers. It's no secret that you can make $2-4 p/hour more in the city and .08-.14 cpm more working for other carriers

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope that this works better then the outside carriers. The outside carriers are running ahead of Shuttle people. Shuttle people with 9,10,11 12 years were sent home 2 nights last week but the outside carriers ran.

Our bid sheets had several contract (truck load) runs assigned that we can't bid on. We lost a team driver today who will go to SAIA and run single at a higher mileage rate plus a $5k sign on bonus . Many more are going to follow, especially if they offer us some bull crap raise. The clowns in charge are clueless.