ODFL | Rumor mill....OD dumping 10 spd for auto starting 2023

johnnybtruckin

TB Lurker
Credits
"news" out of Midwest is that we'll be transitioning to automatics only starting with 2023 model year Freightliners. too many applicants have auto only restriction and od doesn't want to waste time and money training qualifed applicants plus dock to truck guys are having trouble with shifting. As always take it with large grain of salt

I have used auto before. Just a couple of requirements on my end for 18 wheeler autos.

Manual Mode. Able to stay in ANY gear for ANY length of time with FULL power band of engine both upgrade and downgrade in mountain work or crawling in jersey etc.

NO radar tied into auto. None of that.

NO ability of auto to "Take power off drives" UNLESS I switched into Neutral manually.

Most importantly it needs to be free to go up gears or come down gears and add or subtract power fast on ice. It will be the difference between getting through or losing it all.

And able to run 8 days and nights straight through without shutoff more than 30 minutes in that period of time to clear buffer.

The autos I used in my time were good for what they were and my requirements are paid for in my experience with them versus what the fleets have tried to fluff and plump them into grotesque cost containing devices that are over engineered and piles of :shit:ty BS for their own good.

A automatic has one job. Shift or stay in gear. Thats it. How the trucking company possess the ability to **** that up is beyond the pale.

We put a governed auto truck down a particular mountain pass onc time. Gravity got ahold of it.

Away she went.

In the old days we called that Georgia Overdrive.

Now we just call that Running Nanny Over. The following week shop got ahold of it, plugged in.

Safety came for me a half hour later. The yelling started. We govern that thing, HOW DO YOU MANAGED TO GET 124 off that? Its IMPOSSIBLE.

Not impossible.

WTF. IT IS SO. COMPANY POLI...

stuff it. you saw the 124. Its not impossible.

*Kaboom*

Really sad to see those older suits get physically overwrought, that smoking, drinking and whoring will get them into a early grave for sure.

What he did not know that it came out to only 124. Not enough weight in the trailer to really kicker down .