XPO | Safe Stack

You’re missing the point. Don’t Stand under the bars when you’re putting them up or taking them down.

I've used the bar to move one bar and have another fall behind me from the vibrations.

About two months ago I reached up to push a bar the last few clicks (no bar in trailer) and that bar and the one in front of it and behind it all dropped. I have a new scar on my arm from that.

I've also been helping a guy on a forklift and as soon as he hit the dock plate a bar fell and almost hit my head.

The point is these things suck and none of use know what happened to this gentleman or anyone else. Don't blame the victim, blame the bosses for accepting this risk.

Hope your coworker is recovering Magician.

I've used the bar to move one bar and have another fall behind me from the vibrations.

About two months ago I reached up to push a bar the last few clicks (no bar in trailer) and that bar and the one in front of it and behind it all dropped. I have a new scar on my arm from that.

I've also been helping a guy on a forklift and as soon as he hit the dock plate a bar fell and almost hit my head.

The point is these things suck and none of use know what happened to this gentleman or anyone else. Don't blame the victim, blame the bosses for accepting this risk.

Hope your coworker is recovering Magician.
We have dockworker that WILL NOT get off the forklift. Period. He "works" inbound and cherry picks kites that are floor loaded. If he gets a trailer that has freight up on SafeStack decks , he will leave and BS until someone ( a driver ) goes into the trailer looking for freight. Once someone else starts working the trailer he will materialize out of thin air.

If he ABSOLUTELY HAS TO push up the SafeStack bars , he will try and force them up with the mast of the forklift. Bending them and ruining the ratchets and track system that keeps them up in the first place. And , yes people have pointed this out to management with nothing done to stop it. The numbers are good. So who gives a f-ck , right?

P.S. - Because we have a sudden lack of equipment we have to spot these SAME trailers ( pups ) with f-cked up bars that spontaneously fall down at customers docks. Most likely leading to lost accounts. If you were a customer would you want to drive or walk into a trailer with f-cked up SafeStack bars?

We have dockworker that WILL NOT get off the forklift. Period. He "works" inbound and cherry picks kites that are floor loaded. If he gets a trailer that has freight up on SafeStack decks , he will leave and BS until someone ( a driver ) goes into the trailer looking for freight. Once someone else starts working the trailer he will materialize out of thin air.

If he ABSOLUTELY HAS TO push up the SafeStack bars , he will try and force them up with the mast of the forklift. Bending them and ruining the ratchets and track system that keeps them up in the first place. And , yes people have pointed this out to management with nothing done to stop it. The numbers are good. So who gives a f-ck , right?

P.S. - Because we have a sudden lack of equipment we have to spot these SAME trailers ( pups ) with f-cked up bars that spontaneously fall down at customers docks. Most likely leading to lost accounts. If you were a customer would you want to drive or walk into a trailer with f-cked up SafeStack bars?
That’s the problem right there...that idiot raising bars with the forklift???? Good God. Has common sense gone the way of the dinosaurs?

We have "bump hats". Cost like 5 bucks. Fits right under a ball cap.
https://www.fullsource.com/ergodyne-8945-gray/
That's pretty much what it is. Ours are black

Yeah, don't fix the actual problem, just wear a harder hat!

Added bonus: If a bar hits you on the head and you were not wearing your bump cap, the company can fire you for not following procedure!

OR

If you're wearing the bump cap and still injure your head/neck/brain the company can claim that they've done all they could to protect you. Heck they even bought you a hat!

Put in another context, if the roll up door handles on trailers had a propensity for forming jagged edges and cutting our hands you guys would be fine with the company giving you gloves instead of replacing the handles.

Y'all are crazy.

Demand the problem be fixed, not more hats.

Last edited:
They randomly fall when walking in the trailer s sometimes because there so worn out. Motion in or around the trailer can be enough to cause them to slip. If you haven’t experienced that your not spending enough time loading or unloading trailers.
Trust me when I tell you I spend enough time loading and unloading trailers. Many many times I have driven a Fork truck in the trailer only to have the safe stack slip down,but never have I been casually walking in the trailer and had them slip down to where I could get hit in the head and knocked out. I’ve got an ace in the hole that many of today’s employees don’t have it’s called common sense.

Trust me when I tell you I spend enough time loading and unloading trailers. Many many times I have driven a Fork truck in the trailer only to have the safe stack slip down,but never have I been casually walking in the trailer and had them slip down to where I could get hit in the head and knocked out. I’ve got an ace in the hole that many of today’s employees don’t have it’s called common sense.

Looking at a picture if a fellow driver in the hospital, hearing it was caused by safestack, and replying with, "Hasn't happened to me yet so it isn't really a problem!", is pretty much the polar opposite of an overabundance of common sense.

Count yourself lucky. It’s kinda hard to believe when I have pushed plenty up to the ceiling only to have them fall down a second later when you step forward or turn around. I take your word for it . Just be careful not to think if it hasn’t happened yet it won’t happen to you.

Yeah, don't fix the actual problem, just wear a harder hat!

Added bonus: If a bar hits you on the head and you were not wearing your bump cap, the company can fire you for not following procedure!

OR

If you're wearing the bump cap and still injure your head/neck/brain the company can claim that they've done all they could to protect you. Heck they even bought you a hat!

Put in another context, if the roll up door handles on trailers had a propensity for forming jagged edges and cutting our hands you guys would be fine with the company giving you gloves instead of replacing the handles.

Y'all are crazy.

Demand the problem be fixed, not more hats.

Oh make no mistake about it. I want the system fixed and routinely personally run us out of parts whenever they come in. If our TM could keep enough parts on hand to fix all that we could then he certainly would. Its the people above him making the decisions about how often their allowing us to order them. So, to protect his employees from injury in the best way he can he provided us with an option. Our bump hats are not mandatory or procedure. They are simply there for the guys that had been asking about getting something and offered to anyone that wants them.

If we have damaged bars or bars that are not staying up and have no parts to repair or replace them, we take them out. That is the policy and procedure. Maybe once they start only being able to floor load freight then they will start getting the parts in to repair or replace them. Stop using them when you are loading the trailer just because your FOS or SCM said to use them anyway. Cite safety and policy to them and they will back down.

If we have damaged bars or bars that are not staying up and have no parts to repair or replace them, we take them out. That is the policy and procedure. Maybe once they start only being able to floor load freight then they will start getting the parts in to repair or replace them. Stop using them when you are loading the trailer just because your FOS or SCM said to use them anyway. Cite safety and policy to them and they will back down.

We also remove the damaged ones even when we have no replacements. Well, some of us.

The guy probably weighs about 400 lbs and is more concerned about the sports playoffs.

Another one my fellow drivers at my terminal whacked on the head by a bad safe stack on fri nite. Was wondering how many drivers out there have been injured by the same negligence at XPO. Thinking it may may be time to get legal advice on all the injuries. Please respond. XPO does bare bones maintenance on these death beams. Maybe we should ban together and settle this

my friend is still out of work almost 2 years later maybe never gonna return. Wake up and heads up
euWYUxE.jpg

Xpo do
Another one my fellow drivers at my terminal whacked on the head by a bad safe stack on fri nite. Was wondering how many drivers out there have been injured by the same negligence at XPO. Thinking it may may be time to get legal advice on all the injuries. Please respond. XPO does bare bones maintenance on these death beams. Maybe we should ban together and settle this
Xpo does no maintenance to these beams its the driver responsibility. They should have the guys at slow barns fix em

Even if we wanted us to fix beams we have no supplies or even tools to fix them.
Well they could supply you guys with the tools and since you have guys not making a 40 hr week it could give them some hours . Xpo says it’s the drivers responsibility to fix them and you guys seem to be slow , why not ? They can’t possibly think that the busy money making barns like mine have time to even think about doing them .Sounds like a win win

I’m gonna call xgo and suggest it

Last edited: