ODFL | Safety problems

Fly..maybe you can pass Von's last post around your terminal. If you pass it to your TM you know the answer.."I'll look into it"...standard answer down there for everything, no action....no accountability for ANYONE...drivers or managers...

Fly..maybe you can pass Von's last post around your terminal. If you pass it to your TM you know the answer.."I'll look into it"...standard answer down there for everything, no action....no accountability for ANYONE...drivers or managers...
My post would mean nothing to your TM. But a formal filing with OSHA for illegal practices concerning safety by management, well, lets just say you now have his undivided attention. And don't forget to copy the safety department & your CEO. Now you have painted a target on your back. But now your boss has his boss asking questions. Not to mention dealing with your EEOC or OSHA complaint. Trust me, they are focused on safety now. Weather they want to or not. Oh yea, when you copy safety & the CEO, also copy their insurance underwriter with your complaints. Now they really are focused on safe operations. Nothing like an insurance compliance inspector making a surprise visit on their clients property. von.

Hahahaha. Exactly how he answers. That means you might as well talk to the wall. Wait now, there is accountability. For those of us that do our job, safely, without complaining, and play by the rules. The newbies and slackers, no accountability. You can throw our Safety man in there also. I think the only thing he knows is locks, splashguards and the safety chain on the gear. You go to him with a legit safety concern, he says go to your supervisor, it’s not my job. Hell at the TDC he was rooting for FedEx. Glad I wasn’t there. I would of called him out and shamed him in front of everyone. That’s so sad. That’s another reason I refuse to train anymore.

Hey if you go to my yard, I am well known by another handle. I can’t give it out, cuz it’ll reveal my stealth identity.

My post would mean nothing to your TM. But a formal filing with OSHA for illegal practices concerning safety by management, well, lets just say you now have his undivided attention. And don't forget to copy the safety department & your CEO. Now you have painted a target on your back. But now your boss has his boss asking questions. Not to mention dealing with your EEOC or OSHA complaint. Trust me, they are focused on safety now. Weather they want to or not. Oh yea, when you copy safety & the CEO, also copy their insurance underwriter with your complaints. Now they really are focused on safe operations. Nothing like an insurance compliance inspector making a surprise visit on their clients property. von.
Excellent post. You know what I have done. I just run under the radar, but my radar is always up and running. I have a collection, I mean a major collection of pictures and documentation. My own little trump card. No pun intended. I had a certain driver that was going to turn me in for some stupid thing. I told him go ahead. Then we can sit and watch the video and look at the pictures of your unsafe and illegal actions. Oops, he bit his tongue on that.

And just think, just a few years ago before (the only think we focus on is the O R numbers), the safety guys were feared for what they might find wrong or broken on your yard, the VP's were feared when they roamed your terminal. Now, not so much.

Yes, and with a big RED engine....give it another week or two and it will start to look like the other new ones that your city guys have injured... just a crying shame that todays drivers dont appreciate anything new. I think OD should just buy old left over rental returns as bad as out new tractors are getting damaged..tighten them newbies up billy or we all will be driving mowers and pulling little red wagons...

Yes, and with a big RED engine....give it another week or two and it will start to look like the other new ones that your city guys have injured... just a crying shame that todays drivers dont appreciate anything new. I think OD should just buy old left over rental returns as bad as out new tractors are getting damaged..tighten them newbies up billy or we all will be driving mowers and pulling little red wagons...

How bad yall guys cringe when certain female jumps into your truck? It sure look like all them new trucks missing a fairing

How bad yall guys cringe when certain female jumps into your truck? It sure look like all them new trucks missing a fairing
I thought you could remove the fairings and use them to blow the grass from the sidewalks???

This whole deal with Hazmat totes continues to be a thing.They put it on my trailer and don't enter the Enforcer information correctly.Then I ask them to correct.Then I gotta ask for placards.Find the numbers and make it.We're out of a number.Waste 30 minutes trying to make it right.
I ask how did it get here? Where are the placards from the inbound trailer? No one knows.Puzzled looks.
I had one the other day that I got to the delivery and realized that the totes themselves were not placards.So pickup driver messed up too.

But if I tell them I'll probably be the one in trouble.
This could turn into a huge issue if someone gets in an accident.

Actually happened at my wife's company.Not secured.Not placarded and had a spill.No bueno.

This whole deal with Hazmat totes continues to be a thing.They put it on my trailer and don't enter the Enforcer information correctly.Then I ask them to correct.Then I gotta ask for placards.Find the numbers and make it.We're out of a number.Waste 30 minutes trying to make it right.
I ask how did it get here? Where are the placards from the inbound trailer? No one knows.Puzzled looks.
I had one the other day that I got to the delivery and realized that the totes themselves were not placards.So pickup driver messed up too.

Actually happened at my wife's company.Not secured.Not placarded and had a spill.No bueno.
We’ve had somewhat the same problem here and at other terminals and/or meet drivers. Not only if something happened due to a wreck or something, but what about a DOT inspection or a audit of the terminal? I have been given citations for hazmat issues inside of the sealed trailer that I hooked to. I received a letter on one of them???? Sealed trailer, I believe. In fact 3 of us all had hazmat issues behind the sealed door. Accountability!!! That dock foreperson that has their name on the manifest should be held accountable for anything loaded behind the seal.

just had this talk with our midshift inbound supervisor about liquid totes. to my amazement the trailer had the placards with the correct numbers but had one strap holding 5 totes 18k lbs . i showed him the the totes and asked why only 1 strap and he said there is taller freight in from of it right? I said yes but that will not be the question a DOT enforcer will ask. He will ask why each one is not strapped independently and i am supposed to say what, that i did not load it. pulled them all off and strapped each one in. The managers and supervisors need trained by safety on the rules and who will get a nice fine if caught doing it wrong.

just had this talk with our midshift inbound supervisor about liquid totes. to my amazement the trailer had the placards with the correct numbers but had one strap holding 5 totes 18k lbs . i showed him the the totes and asked why only 1 strap and he said there is taller freight in from of it right? I said yes but that will not be the question a DOT enforcer will ask. He will ask why each one is not strapped independently and i am supposed to say what, that i did not load it. pulled them all off and strapped each one in. The managers and supervisors need trained by safety on the rules and who will get a nice fine if caught doing it wrong.

They know how to do it, they get lazy so they can keep the numbers up.

Its also accountability, there is none when you are not a driver. The drivers seem to be the only ones held accountable, and that's sub par anyways.......

Last edited:
Oh, my favorite topic - hazmat. It's a joke. I have no idea how some of our drivers get their HM endorsements. Many have no idea what to look for on a BOL, others never even open the envelope to make sure they have all/correct BOLs. Most simply rely on placarding suggestion puked out by the hazmat enforcer claiming that central dispatch/management tells them it's not driver's responsibility to check the paperwork. The supervisors who punch all that information into the HM enforcer have no idea what IBC stands for, or what "Residue Last Contained" or "Net Explosive Quantity" could possibly mean.

I'm convinced way too many drivers don't look at their hazmat paperwork because they have no idea what they are even looking at. It's scary. You're right, when you find an error, you're on your own and no one will correct where or what went wrong. You're own time, cleaning up someone else's error, but hey ra ra ra we're a team.