ODFL | Safety problems

You line boys need to know the dock take pics every time of loads before they close the door. Ask your sup to show you the pics if you having question on your load. If that don’t satisfy you, rip the seal off and look for yourself and tell central you gonna.

But naaaah, 98 percent linehaul hooking and don’t even walk around before leaving

Oh really??!! Yo, "boy", they take pictures before they close the door, right? So if the last 2 things that go on a trailer are 2 pallets stacked 8ft tall, all you get is a picture of those two pallets loaded all intact and secured with a strap and absolutely no idea what kind of mess you've got in the first 12 pallet spaces...

Oh really??!! Yo, "boy", they take pictures before they close the door, right? So if the last 2 things that go on a trailer are 2 pallets stacked 8ft tall, all you get is a picture of those two pallets loaded all intact and secured with a strap and absolutely no idea what kind of mess you've got in the first 12 pallet spaces...
Unbelievable. A mess? Maybe you could stand .........it’s not even worth it.

Billy, you might want to look at your city guys too..I know tires have tread just fall off in the yard when sitting at the dock , or glad hands break off on the back just sitting. Its a problem in all areas and not just OD. Todays drivers are not drivers, they are short cut takers and lack the skills and professionalism to be a real driver like those before us, but, there are still a few of us around. So guess what Iam saying is "look out for rocks in that glass house"

The other day I had a lead that axled out 11600 on the drives and 19080 on the trailer. This is a major issue company wide, dry roads summer time not such a big deal. Another issue is sending people out with two 20,000 lb trailers when they are throwing chains or just ice and the guy pulling out right behind you is going to the same place and has two 10,000 lb trailers.

The other day I had a lead that axled out 11600 on the drives and 19080 on the trailer. This is a major issue company wide, dry roads summer time not such a big deal. Another issue is sending people out with two 20,000 lb trailers when they are throwing chains or just ice and the guy pulling out right behind you is going to the same place and has two 10,000 lb trailers.

Or towing a 22k pup behind a 15k van, because "Don't you know, a van is about 10k heavier than a pup!" - dispatch. Feels like you're towing a boat anchor even on dry roads.

There is no perfect answer to checking a HAZ MAT before driving. All I can suggest is a driver document with a video on their cell phone proving you inspected the equipment & loaded freight to the best of you ability. Checking a sealed trailer from the ground with affixed placards to comply with the reg's is very hard to do, if not impossible. Cover thy ass. Record a short video showing you did your best to be in compliance with the pre trip regs. von.

It’s not just the PNW, it’s all over. Yes the younger generations of driver’s are different. Majority of the driver’s that I work around and with, value Safety and safe equipment.
I simply have to laugh when all the blame is placed on the younger drivers. Complacency and laziness has no age limit. I've seen plenty of veterans with decades of experience drop trailers and roll sets into the ditch. Stop pointing the finger at a certain group just because you happen to not be a part of it

Fly..maybe you can pass Von's last post around your terminal. If you pass it to your TM you know the answer.."I'll look into it"...standard answer down there for everything, no action....no accountability for ANYONE...drivers or managers...
Hey guys for the most part Any #P&d driver can and will always find a reason to complain unfortunately if you want your freight to walk off the truck you have two options bus driver or a school bus driver now being sarcastic I get it believe me it happens every day in Baltimore I’m real familiar with that thousand yard stare you get from the supervisors When you let them know about it and bring freight back because of their progress of loading but the main thing that bothers me is on the safety topic I’m hard-pressed to find a tractor in the yard that doesn’t have mild do serious damage to the front bumpers I always said that Old Dominion should get breakaway bumpers 10 years ago or longer if you seen a bumper that was screwed up on the tractor everybody took notice now it’s common place nobody even think twice or even ask what happen you just get in it and go and I’m talking about L/h tractors that are being used In the city before you can even turn the engine off after five on the mile trip but just saying not complaining

Drivers who do not perform a post-trip and leave the problem for the next driver. Also drivers who do no know how or refuse to perform an ABS system test. "If the lights on, just go back and unplug the light. No light, no problem". Have an accident, not the driver fault, severe enough to warrant a post crash inspection with ABS INOP and whoa is me.

Hey guys for the most part Any #P&d driver can and will always find a reason to complain unfortunately if you want your freight to walk off the truck you have two options bus driver or a school bus driver now being sarcastic I get it believe me it happens every day in Baltimore I’m real familiar with that thousand yard stare you get from the supervisors When you let them know about it and bring freight back because of their progress of loading but the main thing that bothers me is on the safety topic I’m hard-pressed to find a tractor in the yard that doesn’t have mild do serious damage to the front bumpers I always said that Old Dominion should get breakaway bumpers 10 years ago or longer if you seen a bumper that was screwed up on the tractor everybody took notice now it’s common place nobody even think twice or even ask what happen you just get in it and go and I’m talking about L/h tractors that are being used In the city before you can even turn the engine off after five on the mile trip but just saying not complaining

Gone, you have a third option you're forgetting, how about livestock?
You get hooked up with Ump, his goats are trained to load and unload.
I'm glad you said P&D Drivers, cause, in all my years I've never heard a line driver complain about anything!

I simply have to laugh when all the blame is placed on the younger drivers. Complacency and laziness has no age limit. I've seen plenty of veterans with decades of experience drop trailers and roll sets into the ditch. Stop pointing the finger at a certain group just because you happen to not be a part of it

You may have hit a sore spot here, we just look over ole Fly, we all know he was born very young.

You must not of taken into account what I said. Majority of the driver’s I work around. That includes the newer generation. Yes, there are veteran drivers to that also have a certain disregard for certain issues. Pointing a finger, no I am stating a fact. The newer generation is different than my generation. With that being said, I will help anyone that has the ability to sit behind the wheel of a truck. No matter what generation. Did I get under your skin? Good, mission accomplished. Be safe out there.