XPO | Safety Review Board?

Pedalpumper

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi everyone, :wavey:
Can anyone tell me anything about the SRB (Safety Review Board)?

Are it's members made up of management?, DSR's?, both?, or are they their own seperate entity?

Is there one board company wide?

In your honest opinion, do you feel they will look at an appeal fairly? I realize that their main objective overall has to be safety, but I guess what I'm really asking is ...... are they neutral when it comes down to a DSR vs Con-way decision?

Thanks in advance. :shift:

I won't guess on the specific make-up of the SRB these days. What I will offer in regards to accurate info is that rulings of preventable/non-preventable are not just some left field, going to protect the company at all costs decision. The following link is the federal guidelines regarding this subject. The focus is the involvement of the company vehicle in the incident. Not cause, but involvement. Did the driver do everything possible to not be involved in the incident? Are they fair? Now that's a loaded question. I'll hold my opinion for now allowing others their 5 minutes of soapbox time.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/eta/ETA-July-08.pdf
Accident countermeasures start on page 119 (section 4, pg 115).

Thanks for your reply Merdock!

I guess I should have been more specific as to why I asked.

December of last year I was working Linehaul and went to open a trailer at an FAC. As I lifted the door, I felt no resistance of any kind. I got the door open to approximately 1-1/2 feet, when all of a sudden an 8' sheet of 3/4" thick plywood shot out from under the door and came down on end across the top of my foot like a gilotene. The plywood also apparently had 2 heavy coils of steel on top of it.

It was as if a "booby-trap" with a hair trigger was sprung, and there was no warning of any kind.
Con-way in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that this was a preventable injury (on my part), and they decided to write me up for it last Monday (5 months later). I was given an L.O.I.

I put in an appeal, and was just trying to figure out my odds.

Your SRB should come back non-preventable because all you did was open the door to a trailer. Your safety manager must be a real TOOL to have ruled that preventable in the first place. I don't know what people are thinking about sometimes. Good luck.

[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg829293#msg829293 date=1273711060]
Thanks for your reply Merdock!

I guess I should have been more specific as to why I asked.

December of last year I was working Linehaul and went to open a trailer at an FAC. As I lifted the door, I felt no resistance of any kind. I got the door open to approximately 1-1/2 feet, when all of a sudden an 8' sheet of 3/4" thick plywood shot out from under the door and came down on end across the top of my foot like a gilotene. The plywood also apparently had 2 heavy coils of steel on top of it.

It was as if a "booby-trap" with a hair trigger was sprung, and there was no warning of any kind.
Con-way in it's infinite wisdom, has decided that this was a preventable injury (on my part), and they decided to write me up for it last Monday (5 months later). I was given an L.O.I.

I put in an appeal, and was just trying to figure out my odds.
[/quote]

With repects to Merdocks' contribution I am going to put in my two cents...(I did bookmark the link...good info there!)

Our Safety Dept. is nuts...anytime an incident occurs that involves money or any hint of liability the DSR will found at fault unless it is blatantly obvious there is no liability on the driver's part...(some of this is outlined in Merdock's link).

If the company can lie the fault of some incident on a DSR...then they have taken steps to alleviate any responsibility which the company may endure. If any monetary considerations are at risk be assured the DSR will receive an LOI...any chance of liabilty on the company's part that may end in some litigation or reparations will be delegated as faulted to the DSR.

It seems to be a blanket policy...

I have seen some really assinine decisions come from our Safety Dept...bad things happen to good people.

We have one job and one job only...and that is to pick up and deliver freight on time and exception free...

During the course of that action things happens...some minor...and some major.

One thing that is clear...at some point issues may surface...

We had a really rough winter during 09/10...the entire country suffered in one way or the other...record snowfalls...ice...floods...etc.

I know of at least five DSRs issued LOIs for weather related incidents...from sliding off driveway/entrances..to losing mudflaps in snow build up due to poor snow removal...to running over unseen parking blocks covered by snow in a customers place of business...

Trying to accomplish what we are paid to do...we get penalized for our attempts when things happen...this is blatantly incorrect.

It is easy to arbitrarily and without adequate investigation blame the involved DSR and issue an LOI...it gets the issue off the desk and in the hands of someone else...and on the backs of some DSR who in the course of their working day is attempting to perform what the company demands they do.

In the case of PedalPumper...how the hell was this person supposed to know there was an impending problem with the trailer being opened...the obvious answer is this person had no idea. Yet they were found at fault..a preventable...by a Safety Dept. that really doesn't exist...unless there is a problem.

At that point the safety folks jump in...and...well you know the rest.

I have seen the review board overturn some things...some rather amazing...ones I didn't think had a chance of being reversed...so there is hope...if you care.

So now five months later...comes the LOI...rather pathetic...and revealing.

It is isn't necessary to practice safety...you just have to talk about it...looks good to those on the outside...and on the posters.

Rat

Thanks guys! :wavey:

You've given me some hope.
I probably shouldn't be letting this bother me, but it really does. I guess I am going to have to grow a thicker skin if I continue to work for them. Just that it feels like a slap in the face!

I limped off the dock to a safe area, and took off my boot to assess the damage. My foot was black & blue, and immediately swollen. Almost passed out from the pain as soon as feeling came back. (later found out I had badly bruised the bones).
I told my sector supervisor, who sent me to the front office where I was offered an ice pack instead of a trip to the hospital. They were then nice enough to give me a set to hook up, and drive back to my SIC.
Now there's a nice safety practice! :rant:

[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg829373#msg829373 date=1273742600]
Thanks guys! :wavey:

You've given me some hope.
I probably shouldn't be letting this bother me, but it really does. I guess I am going to have to grow a thicker skin if I continue to work for them. Just that it feels like a slap in the face!

I limped off the dock to a safe area, and took off my boot to assess the damage. My foot was black & blue, and immediately swollen. Almost passed out from the pain as soon as feeling came back. (later found out I had badly bruised the bones).
I told my sector supervisor, who sent me to the front office where I was offered an ice pack instead of a trip to the hospital. They were then nice enough to give me a set to hook up, and drive back to my SIC.
Now there's a nice safety practice! :rant:

[/quote]

Well, no hospital and having to drive back is partially your fault. You have to request what you want done and if the foot was in that bad of shape, you shouldn't have had to drive. You have to understand that they will try to get away with as little as possible. It is up to you to insist on hospital care. Not to say anything bad about Conway but, the less time a supervisor has to deal with you, the earlier he can go home. Get it?

Bigfoot,
No, I guess I just don't "get it". I have never seen a company handle things in this manner before. Even the worst "hole in the wall" place I've been made sure that injured employees received immediate medical attention.

First off, how is it partially my fault? They told me that I was hooking a set and taking it back before I ever had an opportunity to even ask them for a hospital. What was I supposed to do, argue? refuse? Well, then what? I'm refusing to do my job, which could have resulted in another L.O.I., or maybe even termination. Or how about "hidden" retaliation? like getting all the crappy VIAs at 6 am? No thanks! I also didn't want to wake my family to come pick me up at that hour, or sit there in pain until they got there.

Secondly, The next morning when I returned, I was told by my TM, FOM, and Personnel Supervisor, that it is company policy that THEY should have taken me to the hospital immediately.

As far as me driving injured, well, only I know my capabilities. Once the shock wore off, it still hurt like hell but didn't impair my driving or judgement. I would have never set foot in that truck if I wasn't positive I could drive home safely. They on the other hand took a big risk.

Third, The "manager" could have (should have) had someone else take me. It was early enough where it wouldn't have hampered his "getting home". He was sitting at his desk B.S.'ing and joking with his fellow office workers (non-work related) the entire time I sat there with my ice pack waiting for my set. :rant:

[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg829715#msg829715 date=1273840213]
Bigfoot,
No, I guess I just don't "get it". I have never seen a company handle things in this manner before. Even the worst "hole in the wall" place I've been made sure that injured employees received immediate medical attention.

First off, how is it partially my fault? They told me that I was hooking a set and taking it back before I ever had an opportunity to even ask them for a hospital. What was I supposed to do, argue? refuse? Well, then what? I'm refusing to do my job, which could have resulted in another L.O.I., or maybe even termination. Or how about "hidden" retaliation? like getting all the crappy VIAs at 6 am? No thanks! I also didn't want to wake my family to come pick me up at that hour, or sit there in pain until they got there.

Secondly, The next morning when I returned, I was told by my TM, FOM, and Personnel Supervisor, that it is company policy that THEY should have taken me to the hospital immediately.

As far as me driving injured, well, only I know my capabilities. Once the shock wore off, it still hurt like hell but didn't impair my driving or judgement. I would have never set foot in that truck if I wasn't positive I could drive home safely. They on the other hand took a big risk.

Third, The "manager" could have (should have) had someone else take me. It was early enough where it wouldn't have hampered his "getting home". He was sitting at his desk B.S.'ing and joking with his fellow office workers (non-work related) the entire time I sat there with my ice pack waiting for my set. :rant:

[/quote]
I was just telling you that it was partially your fault because you let them do that to you. Now, either you weren't that injured or you didn't want to make a fuss. If there is a possible unknown injury, you go to urgent care or the hospital. If they deny you this, I would suggest you have your safety supervisor's phone number handy and wake him up and ask him what he thinks about them denying you treatment.

People are going to if you let them. You need to draw a line in the sand. Make up your mind what you would feel appropriate for you at the time and don't accept any less.

By the way, how's the foot now?

Bigfoot, :wavey:

Thank you for asking! It's still a tiny bit discolored in a small area, and very tender if I touch the exact spot of impact.
I have a new pair of sneakers that I still can't wear because they irritate it, but fortunately my old pair and my worn in work boots are just fine.

Our Personel Supervisor sent me to their medical facility later that morning. Doc said the X-rays showed nothing broken, but the bones were severely bruised. He also said it hit in the worst possible spot, and that bruised bones can hurt worse than a break. Told me it will take a while to heal completely.
:shift:

[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg830003#msg830003 date=1273933175]
Bigfoot, :wavey:

Thank you for asking! It's still a tiny bit discolored in a small area, and very tender if I touch the exact spot of impact.
I have a new pair of sneakers that I still can't wear because they irritate it, but fortunately my old pair and my worn in work boots are just fine.

Our Personel Supervisor sent me to their medical facility later that morning. Doc said the X-rays showed nothing broken, but the bones were severely bruised. He also said it hit in the worst possible spot, and that bruised bones can hurt worse than a break. Told me it will take a while to heal completely.
:shift:
[/quote]

Glad you're alright - I've done that from a few inches above my foot and it hurts like hell let alone the plywood falling from any distance. As long as I live, I'll never forget something I saw in the high school weight room - a friend of mine dropped a 45 lb plate on his foot from chest high trying to put it on the bar.. OOUUCCHH...

the SRB consist of drivers and usually a SCM or FOS...they usually call a SC in a different region and you have a conference call and they make the decision...i will say if you did not have steel toe shoes on(wich it sounded like you didnt unless i missed that) it will be preventable,company policy...also your SCM must be spineless if he lets this happen to you 5 months later...

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=80072.msg830188#msg830188 date=1273980524]
the SRB consist of drivers and usually a SCM or FOS...they usually call a SC in a different region and you have a conference call and they make the decision...i will say if you did not have steel toe shoes on(wich it sounded like you didnt unless i missed that) it will be preventable,company policy...also your SCM must be spineless if he lets this happen to you 5 months later...
[/quote]

Three managers and two DSRs IIRC...the cards are stacked...five months later is stupid and assinine...not that this anything different from the status quo...just get it off my desk and on to someone else.

Last I knew steel toes were not required.

Rat

[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg830295#msg830295 date=1274023672]
:wavey:
Steel toes didn't help.
It hit across the top of my foot, behind the steel tip.
[/quote]

Steel toes are a requirment,and must be leather...also not just any glove will do it also has to be leather...i was wearing mechanix gloves one time and got a chemical on my hands,basically peroxide and it burned some and an scm pulled all of that up about the gloves and boots..oopps i was trying to quote RAT

[quote author=con-way man link=topic=80072.msg830561#msg830561 date=1274078111]
[quote author=PedalPumper link=topic=80072.msg830295#msg830295 date=1274023672]
:wavey:
Steel toes didn't help.
It hit across the top of my foot, behind the steel tip.
[/quote]

Steel toes are a requirment,and must be leather...also not just any glove will do it also has to be leather...i was wearing mechanix gloves one time and got a chemical on my hands,basically peroxide and it burned some and an scm pulled all of that up about the gloves and boots..oopps i was trying to quote RAT
[/quote]
Now I know I'm new to Con-way but I haven't heard anything about steel toes. In fact I've been told by the guy that hired me that they weren't necessary, only that I had to have hard soled leather work boots. That is all that is stated in the videos I had to watch also. As far as gloves go, there is no requirement for gloves at all in the videos we watched, just a suggestion of leather gloves. Most service centers I've been to will give you those if asked for.

Hi everyone, :wavey:

Just wanted to give you all an update:

My SRB hearing was scheduled to happen a couple times, but did not. I was notified by my T.M. that I would be called on a certain date, between certain hours. Each time I received no call, I would notify my Personel supervisor, who would then contact the SRB. One particular day, one of the safety "gurus" was actually at our barn, and we approached him about it in person. He checked his lap top to make sure they had the correct phone number from me, and sure enough they did. I had also written my number directly on the appeal form when I had filled it out.

He contacted the SRB directly, and the "hearing" was re-scheduled once again. That date and time came and went with no contact from them as well. I called my Personel supervisor once again. My supervisor called me back, and told me that they claim to have called me several times, but that they couldn't reach me. She asked me if I recognized the number they claim to have called, and I did not! I was later told that they were apparently calling another DSR, from another terminal, with the same first name as mine, despite my giving them my correct number twice! :nono:

My supervisor called me back again, and told me that the SRB has looked over my case without me, and has decided to overturn the ruling that it was preventable. I guess my name is in the clear now. :shift: