ODFL | Safety...

i see all that too, good thing safety department does not hang out by the gate like they use to. The managers used to be afraid of them. Those were different times with different leaders at the top. Hey, by the way did you see the O R numbers , those look good right...

Let’s see now, majority of the speeders, no locks on trailers, cutting off driver’s are the City boys. Just come to PDX in the morning, it’s the OD 500. I have a Volvo up in SEA, I have problems with. I just avoid him. Let’s look at the hostlers. In the evening in PDX, y’all better watch out. Them boys speed. I’ve had one cut between my back box and my front as I was backing. I don’t say a word. They’re young ones, they’ll cry and have to have their pampers changed. Placards, I turn in the trailer number to the supervisor. Doesn’t matter what Terminal. If there was a audit or a fire can you imagine the fines. I’ve gone to the regional Safety man about this. Mr. TS says not his job. Really, splash guards, locks and safety chains is only what he is concerned with. Safety needs to start at the top!!!! TS!!! No wonder the teams from back east don’t like the PNW. It’s ran differently.

unless it affects me directly,it’s none of my business. Those behaviors eventually catch up with people.
Trouble is, it does affect you. With the hazmat situation, it can affect the whole company. I see something, I try to approach the driver. Hell, I forgot to hook a chain to a trailer before. Another driver stopped me in the yard.

Hooked to a empty set yesterday and the glad hand grommet missing from front trailer.Dolly was hooked and came in that way.Also,the amount of equipment that driver's do not do inspection's and leave for someone else to find and deal with is really getting out of hand.

Took a set left by a team that broke down a couple weeks ago....Hazmat Enforcer clearly showed Class 8 Corrosive on board, about 2500#. No placards flipped and I wonder wtf? Heck, hang out by either RR Xing on 400 Hwy leaving Parsons headed west and see how many stop.

Geez at estes the driver does the placards haz mat loads can sit in yard for days without placards and unloaded haz mat trailers are re loaded with non haz mat freight all placarded up

Took a set left by a team that broke down a couple weeks ago....Hazmat Enforcer clearly showed Class 8 Corrosive on board, about 2500#. No placards flipped and I wonder wtf? Heck, hang out by either RR Xing on 400 Hwy leaving Parsons headed west and see how many stop.
Maybe the enforcer should be written in Spanish also to help the RTO teams out :violin:

Last edited:
wait a second, the dock guys at your terminals turn the placards on the trailers?!?
That's to be done by the drivers (p&d and Linehaul) 100 percent of the time at my terminal

wait a second, the dock guys at your terminals turn the placards on the trailers?!?
That's to be done by the drivers (p&d and Linehaul) 100 percent of the time at my terminal
Read the DOT rules. Anytime hazmat is loaded or unloaded on a trailer it has to be properly placarded. If that trailer has Dangerous when Wet on it or flammable gas and there’s a fire how’s the fire department going to know what to do. The driver’s job is to insure that the trailer is properly placarded for transit. I flip them if I have to and let the supervisor know. Did it the other day. The supervisor is going to bring in the dock worker.

Here’s something else. Back when we still were allowed to smoke at the Terminal. I was hooking up and a dock worker was having a smoke break, 5 feet from a flammable placard on a trailer. I took the time to educate him.

Read the DOT rules. Anytime hazmat is loaded or unloaded on a trailer it has to be properly placarded. If that trailer has Dangerous when Wet on it or flammable gas and there’s a fire how’s the fire department going to know what to do. The driver’s job is to insure that the trailer is properly placarded for transit. I flip them if I have to and let the supervisor know. Did it the other day. The supervisor is going to bring in the dock worker.

Yeah, I understand that. the drivers at my terminal talk about it all the time. They say every time a placard has been turned at my terminal, its been done by the driver. They say the dock guys aren't even told to by management/supervisors. Thats why i was surprised to see the complaint about dock guys forgetting to turn placards in the original post.

It happens all over the place, I reckon. Is there a complacency for the rules. Does something tragic have to happen. Once again, Safety starts at the top. I read that one company was fined $225,000 for a violation. Placards go for $2500 a placard. Shame on management that turns a blind eye to this.

It happens all over the place, I reckon. Is there a complacency for the rules. Does something tragic have to happen. Once again, Safety starts at the top. I read that one company was fined $225,000 for a violation. Placards go for $2500 a placard. Shame on management that turns a blind eye to this.
You just said it,Fly. Something tragic has to happen. Like you said earlier. Say there is a fire in a trailer with no placards, and it contains hazmat, but was not placarded when loaded, fire dept shows up, starts dumping water on it, fireman get hurt in any way, or worse die from explosion, or poison fumes. Company will not like that publicity, nor the lawsuits, and fines. Some companies say as long as it is on their property, they are ok. Guarantee they will learn an expensive lesson if someone is hurt or dies....

However if a trailer is backed up to a dock it is considered a extension of the dock therefore by law the trailer does not need to be placarded; it is only when the trailer is pulled from the dock door at which point the trailer must be placarded. Companies want the trailers to be placarded during loading process which makes sense, but if a fire occurs when trailer is backed up to a cross dock the company would not be liable for no placards on trailer because the trailer is considered a extension of the dock.