SAIA | SAIA Layoffs

coyote3

TB Lurker
Credits
Got in this morning and found out we had 6 dock guys laidoff today.Roumormill is saying some additional smaller terminal closing will be announced soon and possibly a pay and hiring freeze.Anyone hear the same or just more Henny Penny?

we had one city guy laidoff. i heard 36 in atl and 22 in tpa. maybe 500 system wide.bad day for some good people wish them the best. for the rest of us its time to do we what we need to help get this going in right direction.

the TM tried to replace our transfer that left. after HR ran his paperwork and he passed his drug screen, they sent an email stating they were going to hold off on replacing him for now. i saw a sign yesterday that makes me think the layoff rumor might be true.......but i will keep my mouth shut as to what i saw for now.

I dont think there is a carrier on the road today that is not suffering. just checked stocks of all traded carriers and ALL are down significantly. Remain positive for those who will be laid off this week. Maybe if this miracle bill is passed and maybe when the election is done the economy will improve and every driver at every carrier will be put back on the road and then there is more money to spend to help improve the economy. I know I would have more to spend if I wasnt putting so much in my fuel tank!

I know for sure there is a hiring freeze right now!! That went into effect a couple weeks ago!! Unfortunately the layoffs are real!! Just like after 911 Saia is cutting back 12 people today in DLS! From what I understand its people with high points and poor work performance!!

news just out from saia

On October 2nd, Saia implemented a reduction in force to bring the Company's workforce in line with current business levels. This action was taken as the industry is experiencing lower than normal seasonal volume and an uncertain economic environment. The workforce reduction was approximately 5% across field operations and the corporate office.

I will BET not one management above TM got canned. Our TMSR walked out Tuesday. Found out this morning that he walked out because they told him to can me and the city dispatcher. Since TM walked out they kept the dispatcher and canned me. Imagine that. They kept a dock worker, who has destroyed about 15000.00 dollars worth of freight in the last 6 months. Yes that's fifteen thousand dollars dollars worth of freight. A part time dock worker who CAN NOT drive a truck, much less a forklift. The letter says it was a performance issue, but I have been reprimanded twice in one month about hanging out up here. HHHHMMMMMM! Sounds fishy to me. I think old Timmy P. is hanging out here looking for trouble. This seems to be his outlet for getting people off his back. As far as P****** goes, he can kiss my butt. I have always known he was a sneak in the grass. He never wanted GNC to open so now he has the good grace of the economy to push this closing thru. What a loser. Good thing is, after about two hours of feeling sorry for myself, I now see they did me a favor. I have this magic piece of plastic that says I can get me a job, and it has NEVER failed me, unlike Saia. But, each to his own. I will get my stuff back on track and the folks at Saia that made these STUPID decisions to CUT cost instead of making money will now have to endure what they put me thru. Remember: "What goes around comes around." Good thing is I will get to see it, read, and watch it on the TV. I may be down but I ain't out. My prayers to all of those that got caught up in this fiasco.

I know for sure there is a hiring freeze right now!! That went into effect a couple weeks ago!! Unfortunately the layoffs are real!! Just like after 911 Saia is cutting back 12 people today in DLS! From what I understand its people with high points and poor work performance!!

The TM was telling our p&d drivers this morning to be sure and make your numbers.If more layoffs come later,a bad preformance record would not be good.

Conway****er, I am sure the same things are going on over there!! You must be a idiot savant to think its just Saia cutting back!! I know Saia must of fired you for some reason and you like coming back and putting up your little posts!!

Really

I guess Conway is doing great. Look at their release lowering estimates and stock down 9 dollars. Saia is not the only one struggling in this economy. Prayers go out to all. This is conway's release with a big reduction for 2nd half of the year.

Freight hauler Con-way Inc. lowered its guidance for the year, citing economic woes.
The San Mateo company (NYSE: CNW) cut its guess for 2008 earnings to between $2.60 and $2.80 per share. Earlier it expected to earn between $3 and $3.40 per share.

Conway guy, take a hike. We here at SAIA are a proud group of good drivers..many of which have been here 15-20++ years. Every LTL Carrier is suffering right now. Some worse than others. look at Yellow and Roadway
2 proud companies with long histories. Lots of folks laid off, lots of financial woes for the whole family when this happens. Bet you'll find this at Conway, too.

My point is this---we all need to suck it up and get busy get that freigfht moved on time with no damage (minimal)

On the dock #1 priority should be to load freight in the proper manner (with care) hey you get a nice payceck every week, that is your reward. Bet that your $$$ grows as you continue to load trailers with CARE.

Day drivers bust their aZZZez during the day to pick up and deliver freight.They are a vital customer/link, with their daily interaction.

Linehaul busts there butts at night to get the freght deliv ered on time.

My Point, if we all do our respective job to the best of our ability we will again be a strong company.

We must let our customers know they are number 1!!! Then we must SHOW them--every day--with our performance.

I am just a linehaul driver, but I see that alot of good caring folks work here.

Now, To quote my buddy, whatshisname...."LET"S GET 'ER DONE"

3 total in GVL. billing clerk and 2 city drivers. one of the city drivers was offered an open linehaul slot. it was done by senority here....if it was done by work performance, two near the top would have been gone. this will turn around eventually, let's just keep those who were laid off in our thoughts and try to do the best job we can.

hey guys , ive been here 10 yrs ,we are just cutting out the extra fat in case things picked up,it didnt,we are going to move on,on my end freight is strong,i am saying i am all most maxed out everynite,so things are still strong,,,drive safe,and dont pay any attention to the conway driver,i have a life long friend in conway in dv that says things are not all great at the top, he is in uppppper way upppper mgrt,let them talk,stock down 10 doll in 1 day, somebody no s allot more than we do. be safe,just do your job,all will smell like roses next year,,,this year is shot.sorry for the guys and girls who lost there employment,if u can hang on we will be calling u back,hopefully soooooooon,,,,,, if you can hang on...take care scout in calif............................................................................................

Conway guy, take a hike. We here at SAIA are a proud group of good drivers..many of which have been here 15-20++ years. Every LTL Carrier is suffering right now. Some worse than others. look at Yellow and Roadway
2 proud companies with long histories. Lots of folks laid off, lots of financial woes for the whole family when this happens. Bet you'll find this at Conway, too.

My point is this---we all need to suck it up and get busy get that freigfht moved on time with no damage (minimal)

On the dock #1 priority should be to load freight in the proper manner (with care) hey you get a nice payceck every week, that is your reward. Bet that your $$$ grows as you continue to load trailers with CARE.

Day drivers bust their aZZZez during the day to pick up and deliver freight.They are a vital customer/link, with their daily interaction.

Linehaul busts there butts at night to get the freght deliv ered on time.

My Point, if we all do our respective job to the best of our ability we will again be a strong company.

We must let our customers know they are number 1!!! Then we must SHOW them--every day--with our performance.

I am just a linehaul driver, but I see that alot of good caring folks work here.

Now, To quote my buddy, whatshisname...."LET"S GET 'ER DONE"
:1036316054: ...very good post.... hang in there ... dragon ..(fedex linehaul)