SAIA | SAIA survey asking for vaccination status

mcb99

TB Lurker
Credits
Received a email today asking for vaccination status from the VP of sales, and marketing. I emailed him back saying it’s none of Saias business what my vaccination status is. To my surprise he replied back and stated it’s completely anonymous and it’s just to get a idea of how many employees are vaccinated, if the mandate becomes law and enforced by OSHA, and that SAIA will comply with the mandate if it comes to that.

So, would Saia enforce this mandate on all employees? I know ATA is working to get an exemption for drivers...
Thank you for your note.

At this time, we are just trying to get a feel for what % of our population and job areas are vaccinated.

However, as an employer, if OSHA implements a mandate that all employees be vaccinated, we will need to know in order to be compliant. Again, at this time the survey is anonymous just to get a sense of numbers.

I totally appreciate your perspective, and respect your privacy. Just wanted to provide context.

Regards,

I would circle back to your original stance. It's none of anyone's business. What happened to personal choice? Is it automatically forfeited the minute you start work, without exception?

I would circle back to your original stance. It's none of anyone's business. What happened to personal choice? Is it automatically forfeited the minute you start work, without exception?
If the mandate does go through, there will be a mass exodus at my barn. The survey is so they can get a estimate of how many employees they would need to replace. We’ve already lost a ton of drivers because of the driver facing cameras and can’t get new drivers because of Saias reputation. This would be the straw that broke the camels back.

Received a email today asking for vaccination status from the VP of sales, and marketing. I emailed him back saying it’s none of Saias business what my vaccination status is. To my surprise he replied back and stated it’s completely anonymous and it’s just to get a idea of how many employees are vaccinated, if the mandate becomes law and enforced by OSHA, and that SAIA will comply with the mandate if it comes to that.
Ain't NOTHING anonymous.

Correct. No way this was anonymous. However, Saia needs to realize that the OSHA mandates have been ruled illegal thus far, and Saia should be careful stirring the proverbial hornet's nest. A large number of drivers (myself included) simply refuse the clot shots, no matter what pressure the government or Saia puts on us.

If push does in fact come to shove, do NOT quit and do NOT pay for the weekly testing out of your pocket. Make them fire/suspend you. Hit them in their pocket with higher unemployment insurance premiums and delayed freight.

I’m sure the survey is a formality, yes they want to know how many ppl they will **** off. But I’m sure they already consulted with their lawyers on how to dodge lawsuits and or terminate non compliant employees. My guess is that this will ruin them. There will be a company with a backbone that will say NO. And that’s probably where most will try to go or apply at the very least. In any case we should take this as a sign where Saia stands on the subject. Not that I’m surprised by this at all.

Saia is demonstrating one simple fear with that batch of survey.

HOW MANY will THEY LOSE that day when they enforce a new mandate to Jab?

If I had to guess a Number, I would say around 40% of people, enough to make Saia unable to be a continuing functioning business and will bankrupt them.

I am with the others in standing on the idea that it is absolutely none of their business your vax status. Its bad enough that some companies issue DOT physicals through their own hireling untermensch doctor. They can burn those in the fireplace to stay warm this winter.

In our workplace there is enough people who are choosing not to be jabbed. If our employer demanded that all jab then there is no more of that particular employer. Poof. Out of business. And the clients will suffer enormously. But we know the moment they demand jab or fire, thats our last absolute day of work.

It cannot be easier to not jab. (I hate writing double negatives in a single sentance but dont know how to grammer that concept properly)

I spoke with father this morning on the east coast in the phone. They say they are fully vaxed which is ok. Their bodies their choice. But where they live there is nothing going on. Everything is locked down essentially. There is no joy in their day to day life except what they can find around the fireplace today. All of their outside social activitys has been stopped. As in full stop by covid.

Here we are a free state in the south and lumber along. Not necessarily in the best of situations but we lumber along well enough. One of our cars threw a seal in the engine block and we spent half of today at the shop. The people did not bother talking about covid, masks or jabs. The situation there was as if there was no covid at all. So it was a good visit. The engine will get a new seal fortunately. They had one on hand.

This type of survey really boils down to data farming. The company will use that data against employees, no question about it. They will put a smiley face on it so it looks innocent on its surface, but what's the endgame? Bottom line, that's all they care about. The big question is...where do they stop with questioning?

Referring to this original post and my question, what's the end? An anonymous survey to see who consumes caffeine, sugary soft drinks, candy bars, red wine, uses aerosol cans, paint thinner.....what? They should worry about their own house before looking into yours.

This type of survey really boils down to data farming. The company will use that data against employees, no question about it. They will put a smiley face on it so it looks innocent on its surface, but what's the endgame? Bottom line, that's all they care about. The big question is...where do they stop with questioning?

I have a sense this was asked by the Board of Directors to Management after the Southwest Airlines meltdown. They needed some rough numbers to appease the Board and some what if scenarios to handle the situation. Bottom line Business

Ya know I had my first coffee at 7. Whoo. I remember that night. Parents did too with some pain. My first smoke at 8. Cough up a lung to the amusement of the pot smokers then in the place. Sheesh. And my first alcoholic drink full on spirits at 9 due to a absolute hooking screwup by the bar people tasked with keeping the basement supplied with sodas of several kinds and other spirits and beer below in the basement. Fortunately I was a happy drunk and did not do anything stupid on the stuff. Took a few hours. Had my first girl at 12.

Going on 40 by the time I hit 16. Sheesh.

Its fortunate I fit into trucking ok. Not necessarily with good thoughts from those concerned and discrimination from others. But thinking back on the days where hardly anything other than smokes and drinks are regulated we lived a full life then.

I think about a future where to own coffee is a crime, to have a sugar is a felony or to have a medicine earns you a prison sentance. Or possibly saying something to the wrong person who whispers the particulars in those in a position to eliminate you from Society all together.

1933 Germany all over again, and I am not even Jewish. But am being persecuted because I take coffee, smoke, drink and otherwise pills or whatever is necessary to push that old 18 wheeler from here to way over there on any old map in a timely manner without regard to aches, pains, troubles, wife issues or even being sick. None of that matters. The logging, HOS, regulations and so on didnt either. Not to a company intent on one thing. Get that load delivered and PAY ME my MUNNY. No whining driver.

They built a monster out of me. Decades later I try to be professional and found that I need to be with the right people in corporate who also want to be professional. With a trailer full of narcotics and other high dollar products in Memphis of all places. I found professional bosses who knew when I say or decided on what to do with that truck is fine. PROVIDED those medicines got through next morning by sunrise. Thats all they asked.

I could not be a trucker today with all the Electronic nannies, radar on truck, auto everything and three idiot proof gauges for information on the thing. I want my old fashioned iron, 60 gauges and a manual transmission on a set of tires to die for. IS that so hard to ask?

1984, I hear ya. 1 1/2 years ago, I turned my keys in to my then employer. Had the newest shiny equipment on the market, but also cameras everywhere, your cell phone was thought by them to be piece of company equipment.
When across town to a competitor, oldest fleet in the region. Pay is lower, but so is the cost of the insurance. Now driving, when not at my Managers desk, a 1995 T800 3406e with an Eaton Super 10, over 1,000,000 on the odometer. Life is good.

I celebrate that.

I dont know if you are aware Lazer, but you need to do anything and everything you can to preserve that kitty as a Operational Engine. I had a thought the other day when hearing the local cat go by with logs thinking that sound will eventually pass into history.

Thats one sound I want to hear until the day I die. A good working kitty cat. I love my good detriots or a cummins that run forever at one speed. But nothing like a kitty.

Just got a email with a short video from corporate. I’m sure all of you have received it. They are going through with following the OSHA mandate for ALL employees. Either get tested weekly, or you are vaccinated, if neither you are out of a job.

Just got a email with a short video from corporate. I’m sure all of you have received it. They are going through with following the OSHA mandate for ALL employees. Either get tested weekly, or you are vaccinated, if neither you are out of a job.
Right.

Hobsons Choice 1850's case law.

Check with your State's Unemployment for being fired for refusal to test or vax. Remember testing can on purpose; cost you your wages so you make nothing and quit.

Start documenting. Names, dates, times who said what, how when, why etc.