Yellow | Saia

They WERE considered a great company to work for, from everything I’ve ever read or been told. Then they installed driver facing cameras, and put safety Dept nitpickers into “coaching” professional drivers how to drive. Now they have turnover problems.
There's that and the fact that in certain areas, if you worked union, they wont hire you regardless of work ethic or driving record. But at the same time in those certain areas they are no worse than other non union that will hire former union drivers.
edit: I will say also there are a couple non union employers in this industry that are very good jobs to have. Not trying to berate anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, I cut my teeth at CFCC as a dockworker in a major breakbulk. I wish they had stayed around, would have loved to get my CDL and drove for them. I'm not a Union zealot nor am I a Union basher. Those that come on these threads and berate the Teamsters have no grasp of the history of the LTL industry.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one uncomfortable with that post by the Count. Surprised somebody hasn't jumped down his throat coming on another company's site and posting something like that. For the record, SAIA has a very negative reputation in my area, they try to pull some of the crap in the northeast they do where I'm at, they won't be able to hire drivers .
Really, I just got off of a private message with an experienced LTL driver, from another company, who just signed on with Saia. He walked in, was hired, and is running a regular turn route, which pays close to 100 grand a year. Home every night, 5 nights a week, off on weekends and holidays, brand new equipment, good fidelity 401-k with company match, good bennies. Yeah, they are sure going to have a hard time finding people to fill that kind of situation. Saia likes turn routes and you can bet that the majority of NorthEast routes will be turn routes and paying close to 6 figures.
Granted, the camera bullshit has pissed off a lot of current drivers and could cause some potential drivers to look elsewhere, but Saia doesn't have to employ the world just a few. a turn route, which pays close to 100 grand a year. Home every night, 5 nights a week, brand new equipment, good fidelity 401-k with company match, good bennies. You have to admit that is a hard package to turn your nose up at, especially, for someone sitting on some extra board, wondering , if he is going to work or how much he is going to work that week.
This all started when commenters accused Saia of slashing rates and couldn't understand why Saia couldn't just come in and go along to get along. Wise up. Saia ain't your buddy and it's not your friend. They have a product to sell and it's the same one that you sell. There will be glitches, aka, Said SAIA had better rates but couldn't be counted on to get in on time to make pickups. Saia, in the NorthEast,is still in it's first stages of moving in. The company will figure this out or there will be new management blood brought in to make it work and they will make it work. Then, if Saia wants that freight, the Saia salesmen come back around and you'll be going somewhere else.
I've been there for over 20 years and because I am curious(nosey) on how the dark side of LTL works, I understand how it works, I've seen how it works. that's why their stock is worth approximately 35x the worth of YRC stock. Wise up. Your financials can't compete with Saia's financials. The barbarians are breaking down the gates and you can't stop them. It's the reality of the situation.

Really, I just got off of a private message with an experienced LTL driver, from another company, who just signed on with Saia. He walked in, was hired, and is running a regular turn route, which pays close to 100 grand a year. Home every night, 5 nights a week, off on weekends and holidays, brand new equipment, good fidelity 401-k with company match, good bennies. Yeah, they are sure going to have a hard time finding people to fill that kind of situation. Saia likes turn routes and you can bet that the majority of NorthEast routes will be turn routes and paying close to 6 figures.
Granted, the camera :horseshit: has pissed off a lot of current drivers and could cause some potential drivers to look elsewhere, but Saia doesn't have to employ the world just a few. a turn route, which pays close to 100 grand a year. Home every night, 5 nights a week, brand new equipment, good fidelity 401-k with company match, good bennies. You have to admit that is a hard package to turn your nose up at, especially, for someone sitting on some extra board, wondering , if he is going to work or how much he is going to work that week.
This all started when commenters accused Saia of slashing rates and couldn't understand why Saia couldn't just come in and go along to get along. Wise up. Saia ain't your buddy and it's not your friend. They have a product to sell and it's the same one that you sell. There will be glitches, aka, Said SAIA had better rates but couldn't be counted on to get in on time to make pickups. Saia, in the NorthEast,is still in it's first stages of moving in. The company will figure this out or there will be new management blood brought in to make it work and they will make it work. Then, if Saia wants that freight, the Saia salesmen come back around and you'll be going somewhere else.
I've been there for over 20 years and because I am curious(nosey) on how the dark side of LTL works, I understand how it works, I've seen how it works. that's why their stock is worth approximately 35x the worth of YRC stock. Wise up. Your financials can't compete with Saia's financials. The barbarians are breaking down the gates and you can't stop them. It's the reality of the situation.

Well, to be fair, I understand why the YRC peeps might be pissed with you posting here...after all it is their house we're in. That being said, I had an opportunity to attend a hiring event this past week and the room was filled with applicants albeit all really unkept ones. Not sure where its written that just because its a "driving job" you should dress in t-shirt and short/jeans..I mean seriously I was embarrassed for them. Anyway, I digress, the camera issue doesn't bother me, however them sitting behind a desk and purposely watching me for great lengths of time and weaponizing the camera is a bit disconcerting. But in conclusion, in the defense of SAIA, there were no shortage of applicants, not by any stretch of the imagination.

And, while I'm not sure why any competing companies would be too concerned, as Im sure they won't make too much of a dent. I'm certain there's enough to go around. Same trucks, just different names on the doors. Lets all just get along. After all, its capitalism at work here folks

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I cut my teeth at CFCC as a dockworker in a major breakbulk. I wish they had stayed around, would have loved to get my CDL and drove for them. I'm not a Union zealot nor am I a Union basher. Those that come on these threads and berate the Teamsters have no grasp of the history of the LTL industry.

Carolina was a good company, had a lot of friends out of Cherryville, we had a lot of fun harassing on the CB.

Granted, the camera :horseshit: has pissed off a lot of current drivers and could cause some potential drivers to look elsewhere, but Saia doesn't have to employ the world just a few. a turn route, which pays close to 100 grand a year. Home every night, 5 nights a week, brand new equipment, good fidelity 401-k with company match, good bennies. You have to admit that is a hard package to turn your nose up at, especially, for someone sitting on some extra board, wondering , if he is going to work or how much he is going to work that week.
You might want to put down the Saia pom-pom's or a minute, here in the Northeast the Saia terminal is a revolving door. (Wilkes Barre Pa.) If Saia think's it's going to treat their employee's in the Northeast the way they do in other part's of the country they are in for a surprise. The word is out & no one is busting down the door for a job, if you have a pulse the will hire you, so that 6 figure job that you talk about only last's for about a month for most up here....

You might want to put down the Saia pom-pom's or a minute, here in the Northeast the Saia terminal is a revolving door. (Wilkes Barre Pa.) If Saia think's it's going to treat their employee's in the Northeast the way they do in other part's of the country they are in for a surprise. The word is out & no one is busting down the door for a job, if you have a pulse the will hire you, so that 6 figure job that you talk about only last's for about a month for most up here....

I agree,with everything that you just posted. Saia came to the NorthEast to stay and expand. Saia will run through a ton of drivers, management people, salesmen and other employees, but the compensation package, the history of company stability, and time will overtake and fade the initial negetism.

Currently, maybe this is a rare example but it is a true one. I have been messaging with a new hire, at one of the new NE terminals. The terminal has been active for just a few months and it has already added several of those 100 grand runs. This driver jumped onboard, walked straight into one of those 100 grand jobs, and he has a head start on department seniority, which is the main factor in route rebids, which happens, at least once a year. If he keeps his record clean, he is set, for life, in a great blue collar job. I know because I did the same thing 20+ years ago.

Then, the local linehaul opening was relatively new but none of the locals wanted it. I took the job and linehaul morphed into what it is today. Now, the city guys want to be updated, as to when I am going to retire or die, so they can bid , on the run. They don't have a prayer because a system guy is just waiting for me to leave and he ain't particular, by which way.

All I can suggest is forget the city and jump into linehaul. Get in, on the ground floor, while these new terminals are gearing up. 20+ years down the road, you'll be glad you did. Ya'll take care.

I agree,with everything that you just posted. Saia came to the NorthEast to stay and expand. Saia will run through a ton of drivers, management people, salesmen and other employees, but the compensation package, the history of company stability, and time will overtake and fade the initial negetism.

Currently, maybe this is a rare example but it is a true one. I have been messaging with a new hire, at one of the new NE terminals. The terminal has been active for just a few months and it has already added several of those 100 grand runs. This driver jumped onboard, walked straight into one of those 100 grand jobs, and he has a head start on department seniority, which is the main factor in route rebids, which happens, at least once a year. If he keeps his record clean, he is set, for life, in a great blue collar job. I know because I did the same thing 20+ years ago.

Then, the local linehaul opening was relatively new but none of the locals wanted it. I took the job and linehaul morphed into what it is today. Now, the city guys want to be updated, as to when I am going to retire or die, so they can bid , on the run. They don't have a prayer because a system guy is just waiting for me to leave and he ain't particular, by which way.

All I can suggest is forget the city and jump into linehaul. Get in, on the ground floor, while these new terminals are gearing up. 20+ years down the road, you'll be glad you did. Ya'll take care.

I guess the Count sleeps with one eye open, with friends like the system guy, you don't have room for many enemies.

The only reason is they don't want a Union stepping in . But some other drivers feel it's time .

Forgot to mention how SAIA puts all their drivers on CPAP machines!

ejWPajH.jpg

Runawaytrain in full Saia uniform...