Yellow | Saia

No you wont all my Dr. asks if I get tired while driving I say no and get a 2yr card its the biggest scam out there Trump got rid of that crap.
That’s the way it should be but it’s not at SAIA. SAIA contracts with Fusion Health and their doctors flag anyone overweight. You use their doctors if you want a DOT physical card. Fusion Health has their own sleep apnea program called Sleep Charge and it’s a rigged system to get more drivers in their program. IMO! It’s ran by a Doctor that’s specialized in sleep apnea. The only good thing is SAIA pays for everything including the CPAP machine and all the supplies associated it. New hoses...water reservoir...filters...everything is free and that could be very expensive if you had to pay for it yourself. But if you’re not overweight and your neck is within range you won’t be forced into it. It’s still not right and I was forced onto one because I’m a bit overweight. Had I been allowed to use my own doctor for my physical he would have passed me. So in some ways you’re right. It’s a scam. I will say I hated the CPAP machine but in all honesty if you actually have sleep apnea you really wake up more refreshed so I’ve been told. I personally couldn’t tell the difference but then I’m a city driver and sleep nights. In linehaul it’s more of an issue. You can’t be falling asleep behind the wheel. Sleep apnea really is a serious health issue and if you do have it you do need to be treated. This is my problem with it. I didn’t feel like I had sleep apnea but the doctor said I did just because of my weight. I’ve never snored and my wife says I never woke up in the middle of the night trying to catch my breath. So WTF! Who are they to tell me? Not everyone that’s a little overweight has sleep apnea. We had many drivers quit because they didn’t want a sleep apnea diagnosis on their DOT record. You only qualify for one year when you’re on one. I completely understand why many quit. I just played their stupid game because I knew I was close to retirement and wanted to ride the gravy train out. But then came DriveCam and that’s what pushed me into early retirement. I have no regrets going at 63 ... I wish I’d went at 62. Knowing what I know now I would have. I’m financially secure and debt free because of smart planning so I really didn’t need to keep working. I guess I just wanted to keep adding eggs to the basket. But I’d finally just had enough BS.

Last edited:
That’s the way it should be but it’s not at SAIA. SAIA contracts with Fusion Health and their doctors flag anyone overweight. You use their doctors if you want a DOT physical card. Fusion Health has their own sleep apnea program called Sleep Charge and it’s a rigged system to get more drivers in their program. IMO! It’s ran by a Doctor that’s specialized in sleep apnea. The only good thing is SAIA pays for everything including the CPAP machine and all the supplies associated it. New hoses...water reservoir...filters...everything is free and that could be very expensive if you had to pay for it yourself. But if you’re not overweight and your neck is within range you won’t be forced into it. It’s still not right and I was forced onto one because I’m a bit overweight. Had I been allowed to use my own doctor for my physical he would have passed me. So in some ways you’re right. It’s a scam. I will say I hated the CPAP machine but in all honesty if you actually have sleep apnea you really wake up more refreshed so I’ve been told. I personally couldn’t tell the difference but then I’m a city driver and sleep nights. In linehaul it’s more of an issue. You can’t be falling asleep behind the wheel. Sleep apnea really is a serious health issue and if you do have it you do need to be treated. This is my problem with it. I didn’t feel like I had sleep apnea but the doctor said I did just because of my weight. I’ve never snored and my wife says I never woke up in the middle of the night trying to catch my breath. So WTF! Who are they to tell me? Not everyone that’s a little overweight has sleep apnea. We had many drivers quit because they didn’t want a sleep apnea diagnosis on their DOT record. You only qualify for one year when you’re on one. I completely understand why many quit. I just played their stupid game because I knew I was close to retirement and wanted to ride the gravy train out. But then came DriveCam and that’s what pushed me into early retirement. I have no regrets going at 63 ... I wish I’d went at 62. Knowing what I know now I would have. I’m financially secure and debt free because of smart planning so I really didn’t need to keep working. I guess I just wanted to keep adding eggs to the basket. But I’d finally just had enough BS.
Thanks for the post and telling drivers about SAIA. I feel your pain I know so many drivers who hate their Cpap machine can't sleep with it makes them more tired it's Orwellian in my opinion being forced to wear that crap when their is oral appliances that can be used but they can't record if you have been wearing it. They wonder why there is a driver shortage.

I've never used one, not much of a sleeper, about 6 hrs bed time is my max.
At PIE you could nap most anytime and nothing was said, don't know if I have S A or not.
I have 4 friends that use the machine and claim, don't know how they survived with out it, 2 are drivers.

In my particular case, I have sleep apnea. I use the nasal mask option and not the full frontal mask. Saia pays for everything and Fusion calls when it is time to order new parts or, if I get lazy, fall outside the numbers. The machine tracks the data and uploads the information by using its own onboard whatever.
When I took the test, The nurse, tester, or whatever asked a series of questions including did I have regular nightmares? I thought, what a crazy question, but having regular nightmares is one of the symptoms. It's your bodies way of trying to wake you up. Do you wake up with a dry throat? That means, at some point, you are gasping for air and breathing through your mouth, rather through your nose. By using the machine, I no longer have either problem.

To each his own, but I wouldn't try sleeping without it.

In my particular case, I have sleep apnea. I use the nasal mask option and not the full frontal mask. Saia pays for everything and Fusion calls when it is time to order new parts or, if I get lazy, fall outside the numbers. The machine tracks the data and uploads the information by using its own onboard whatever.
When I took the test, The nurse, tester, or whatever asked a series of questions including did I have regular nightmares? I thought, what a crazy question, but having regular nightmares is one of the symptoms. It's your bodies way of trying to wake you up. Do you wake up with a dry throat? That means, at some point, you are gasping for air and breathing through your mouth, rather through your nose. By using the machine, I no longer have either problem.

Now Dracula makes perfect sense!

Wow i've never heard of that. That is an interesting question. Mine are waking nightmares. I think everyone at holland has them.

No you wont all my Dr. asks if I get tired while driving I say no and get a 2yr card its the biggest scam out there Trump got rid of that crap.
Trump may have "gotten rid of it" but the doc's at our clinic were all told to "use their best judgement" Everyone goes for a sleep test.

Trump may have "gotten rid of it" but the doc's at our clinic were all told to "use their best judgement" Everyone goes for a sleep test.
Go to a different Dr. you can get 2nd opinions mine just asks me do I get tired while driving I say no get a 2yr card told me it's not part of DOT Physical. Make a complaint to medical boards and FMCSA tell them how they send everyone for sleep studies different Dr. gave you 2yr card.