ABF | Samsara Eld

When you’re a billion dollar company you have access to the finest lawyers available. Precedent has been set with XPO and SAIA in LTL. Most food service companies have had driver facing cameras for years. These companies know what there doing and stay within the letter of the law. DriveCam has audio and video and it isn’t illegal. It would have been stopped if it was. These corporate lawyers know what they are doing. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.
Screw the lawyers. Neither of those companies are under a collective bargaining agreement. Lawyers also know the definition of a contract. If there’s language in a contract forbidding these devices, they won’t touch it.

Screw the lawyers. Neither of those companies are under a collective bargaining agreement. Lawyers also know the definition of a contract. If there’s language in a contract forbidding these devices, they won’t touch it.
And that’s why the Teamsters are letting it happen. Wake up!

They are coming and the Teamsters won’t do a thing about it. Just wait and see!

Denial won’t stop the inevitable.

Are you saying you’re in favor of these devices?
Absolutely not. I hated them and they forced me into retirement at SAIA one year early. I’m just saying ABF isn’t going to invest millions in these devices unless they know that somewhere down the line they will be able to use them. They know what they are doing and they aren’t one bit scared of any Teamster challenge. They will chew them up and spit them out just like they have done in the last few years.

Absolutely not. I hated them and they forced me into retirement at SAIA one year early. I’m just saying ABF isn’t going to invest millions in these devices unless they know that somewhere down the line they will be able to use them. They know what they are doing and they aren’t one bit scared of any Teamster challenge. They will chew them up and spit them out just like they have done in the last 10 years.
Rah rah rah!!! (Ignore).

Has far has audio recordings, from what I’ve been able to find, a company can record you in a public area with no expectation of privacy such has the dock, break room, office, etc. But if I’m in the cab of my truck by myself with the doors closed and the windows up, I have every right to an expectation of privacy. Also here in Florida, both parties have to agree to be recorded. The reason I bring this up is that I have a Bluetooth Stereo that plays my phone calls through my speakers in my slip seat box. I have no head piece. So, if the company is recording me they are also recording the person on the other end of the phone. I’m no lawyer but I believe this would be a direct violation of wiretapping laws. Any thoughts?
Only thing is they don’t record sound according to the flyer anyway.

Train is so miserable in his retirement that the only fun think he does is come to truckingboards to get spanked by us teamsters. He always wanted brothers but no one would take him! Lol

Absolutely not. I hated them and they got me fired at SAIA one year early. I’m just saying ABF isn’t going to invest millions in these devices unless they know that somewhere down the line they will be able to use them. They know what they are doing and they aren’t one bit scared of any Teamster challenge. They will chew them up and spit them out just like they have done in the last few years.
fixed it

I’m going to just leave this right here and if you take the time to read the article, let me know if I’m not understanding what’s being said....

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/wiretapping-workplace?amp

And ...there you go. Federal wiretap laws apply if the employee in question,...does NOT acquiesce to being recorded. Employment-at-Will employees,....by punching in,.....are satisfying Federal law by "agreeing" to ....ANY conditions the Employer has,......including both visual and audio recording....

It seems the Teamsters are adamantly opposed to driver-facing cameras and recording. It remains to be seen just how adamantly they oppose such. As usual,....a little bit of Faith may be called for....

And,...as I can not state enough.....on a personal basis......DEFINATELY give a letter to both your BA and TM,...stating you do NOT give the company permission to "view, use, record, or sell" your PERSONAL IMAGE,....without your written consent, on a "per incident" basis.........

Regardless of what the Teamsters do,....this letter will give you the legal right to....pursue this matter as far as the Courts will allow.

Why do you care? Your retired, go grind your axe somewhere else....

Hah! ...Brother, as you know,.....I'm retired also,....I'm grinding an Axe,.......I think he's grinding a.....potato,..or some other soft vegetable.......maybe sour grapes.....
I have sons who are Teamsters,..One a steward who is wrestling with this very issue,.....so I think that gives me a tiny, little Right to bloviate on this subject.....

The.....cameras didn't come installed with....Yellow Tape on them......There is a reason the....Yellow Tape was placed on the lens.....AFTER installation......
And I believe the company thought the Teamsters would just.......rollover and say: "Yeah, sure,..Whatever you want..."
I believe they,....and their Legal team,...was Blindsided,...by the Teamsters growing a spine and standing up with the Rank-and-File.

And,....unless there's some sort of...nefariousness,...and shady tactics,....the Yellow Tape will remain....