XPO | Samsara training……

How would you rate the training you received for Samsara?

• Hands on training…done very well, understand completely .

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Had a meeting, person explained it, got a copy of instructions… not very clear.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • What training. Here’s the new app, good luck!

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
Knowledgeable drivers trainers are necessary. Drivers trainers that KNOW and TEACH correct information and techniques AND set good examples are needed , wanted and necessary.

How these people are selected is what needs to be addressed. It should be an open process that puts the most qualified person in the training position.
I agree, which was the case at my SIC. My boss thought I was best qualified despite the fact that I wasn't near the top of the seniority list. As an aside, there are days that I think I suck at this job, but I keep on learning and try hard not to make mistakes. Needless to say, a couple of senior drivers were upset that the position wasn't offered up for a bid.

I agree, which was the case at my SIC. My boss thought I was best qualified despite the fact that I wasn't near the top of the seniority list. As an aside, there are days that I think I suck at this job, but I keep on learning and try hard not to make mistakes. Needless to say, a couple of senior drivers were upset that the position wasn't offered up for a bid.
With the way things are set up now , it's a position to reward "teachers pets" type drivers. Kiss enough and suck enough , and you can weasel out of regular work.

With the way things are set up now , it's a position to reward "teachers pets" type drivers. Kiss enough and suck enough , and you can weasel out of regular work.
Ur a fool what's wrong with helping others I help and don't say for nothing in return that's what wrong with this world

Ur a fool what's wrong with helping others I help and don't say for nothing in return that's what wrong with this world
I honestly don't understand your response.

Training and retaining drivers is what the goal should be. Not a place to hide drivers trying to get out of work. A training instructor shouldn't be a training instructor simply because they bring in food for the management or kiss up.

As hard as it is to get decent folks to drive , why put them in the hands of butt kissers , suck ups and slackers?

Knowledgeable drivers trainers are necessary. Drivers trainers that KNOW and TEACH correct information and techniques AND set good examples are needed , wanted and necessary.

How these people are selected is what needs to be addressed. It should be an open process that puts the most qualified person in the training position.
We can’t get drivers to train on linehaul. We have 21yo driver with 6 months experience training new drivers.
I am of the opinion that there should be a incentive to train. I know other ltl’s pay more to drivers when they are training.
As much as I like to pass on my knowledge to others, I no longer have the patience to train new drivers. Many new drivers don’t want advice and want to do things their own way. Maybe it’s me.

You can’t just “Go Off Duty & Sign Out” without exiting your equipment first.
So he probably didn’t “leave” the tractor before signing out.
Ok for one I just tried it this week. You can go Off duty and sign out without leaving the equipment. When I log back in the truck is gone. That's because the company had that function add because to many were staying in the truck when signing out. If you remember when we first got the samsara there was more function in it, like add a co-driver. Which is another item that's not there.
I am wanting to know how legal it is to have 2 CDL driver in a truck and only one log into the ELD assigned to that truck. Last I knew and with every other ELD I have used both driver must be logged into the same device that assigned to that truck. Maybe one of these trainers can explain it to me. Sound very illegal to me and wouldn't want to go through a DOT inspection.

If you sign out properly, anyone can drive the tractor without signing in and it won’t hurt the previous drivers logs. All it’s gonna do is create unidentified driving segments..just like Vnomics did.
Well talk to a driver that was off for a week and on his last four day Thursday thru Sunday the samsara put him in drive then off duty and then back in drive every 30mins going from off duty to drive for 4 days. Now you can not put yourself in drive unless assigned to a truck. Explain that one. He was told "We don't know what happened buts it your fault" Had to sit not get paid his first night back.
Like I said this a a POS system

This company refuses to pay extra to the trainer at the local SIC. I heard the school train get a little extra, but when the get back to there Sic it is normal one of the bottom guys that gets stuck doing it.
You what good trainers then pay them more to train.

We can’t get drivers to train on linehaul. We have 21yo driver with 6 months experience training new drivers.
I am of the opinion that there should be a incentive to train. I know other ltl’s pay more to drivers when they are training.
As much as I like to pass on my knowledge to others, I no longer have the patience to train new drivers. Many new drivers don’t want advice and want to do things their own way. Maybe it’s me.
Agree but also our years of experience is worth more money. Training makes my nights longer, more stressful, and now I have even more responsibly. Then to boot the trainee get OT on LH. Yea not paying me more train but pay the trainee OT can we say KMA

I will not train drivers on lh anymore. And I’m happy using covid as an excuse.

I prefer not to do any more training.

The last several I trained came out ok. Use the word adequate. But they would require quite some years to season in proper.

I would have to undo bad habits and instill the ones that were passed down to me by my trainers who were quite something in their time and day. (Both Men and Women....) I hate to think I am old enough to remember most all of them who has passed.

We had one Trainer in Lancaster FFE. A big theatrical scary man. Stalks into the drivers room full of orientation inductees huddled in a corner. Points to four of them and says... Get in that big dirty white truck out there. Your road test right now.

You think some of the drivers were headed to a execution instead. I took the opposite attitude, Lets give the big man a good run. And so I did. One tried to be a showboat and he was back on the bust within the hour.

I had one trainer who was fantastic. He had me learn the right way to log hours in those days, then the wrong way to log hours and then the three logbook way. If there was anything that held up most all of my years it was that particular trainer. That and three feet of mountain snow on a GM Dedicated one winter. No matter what winter did in the Appalachians we were on time with that glass to the GM in Baltimore from Kentucky. Always.

The tractor we had that winter in the ways of old iron was about a 425 cat on a rockwell with a Model E Integrated Steel Cab and Sleeper volvo and very huge amber lamps and a few other goodies on her. They started making plastic cabs and so on after that production year.

There were a couple of trainers who were pretty bad. I hopped out. Told Suits forget it. They said you have to, I told them I dont have to ::shit::. Bye. They had forgotten in those bad old years of hammering home the corporate decorated talk around the words "Professional Drivers" on ::shit:: trainers. What a waste.

Well talk to a driver that was off for a week and on his last four day Thursday thru Sunday the samsara put him in drive then off duty and then back in drive every 30mins going from off duty to drive for 4 days. Now you can not put yourself in drive unless assigned to a truck. Explain that one. He was told "We don't know what happened buts it your fault" Had to sit not get paid his first night back.
Like I said this a a POS system
You’re right. I can’t explain that one. Probably a one-off sort of glitch?

Ok for one I just tried it this week. You can go Off duty and sign out without leaving the equipment. When I log back in the truck is gone. That's because the company had that function add because to many were staying in the truck when signing out. If you remember when we first got the samsara there was more function in it, like add a co-driver. Which is another item that's not there.
I am wanting to know how legal it is to have 2 CDL driver in a truck and only one log into the ELD assigned to that truck. Last I knew and with every other ELD I have used both driver must be logged into the same device that assigned to that truck. Maybe one of these trainers can explain it to me. Sound very illegal to me and wouldn't want to go through a DOT inspection.
I probably should of said you “shouldn’t” instead of “can’t”. A co worker went off duty and signed out but realized he forgot to leave his tractor. When he signed in, the equipment window was blank..he assumed the system did it for him. He ended up “riding along” with the LH driver that night. That’s probably another glitch too.

I probably should of said you “shouldn’t” instead of “can’t”. A co worker went off duty and signed out but realized he forgot to leave his tractor. When he signed in, the equipment window was blank..he assumed the system did it for him. He ended up “riding along” with the LH driver that night. That’s probably another glitch too.
From my experience with Samsara, it seems to me the weakest link in the system is the drivers as the sign off/out process requires a few steps in order to do it in a way that the system doesn't assign drive time to a driver who's supposed to be off duty. I've been telling my guys when they're done for the day to first "leave" the truck they're on, then find the screen with the little box with the right facing arrow on top. Click the box and it takes them to the screen where they sign out and go off duty. That takes them back to the screen where they enter their username and password. Once there, they need to delete their user name. Now the Samsara process is done. From there, they need to push the round button on the bottom of the handheld to get back to the screen where they sign out from the handheld. This is an important final step, especially for a city driver as if they don't do it and stay signed into the handheld and the linehaul driver they share with misses it, then the line haul driver's paysheet will be credited to the city driver. Hope this helps and if I made a mistake, someone please correct me.

Visitor. Our city trainer (20+ yrs) took multiple tries to renew his haz endorsement lol. Wonder why I get cylinders classified bulk & no one know what an IBC is.

Saia also uses Samsara. A desk jockey obviously wrote these programs. Could be excellent, however, except selecting Yard while rolling; prefer Vnomics.