XPO | Samsara training……

How would you rate the training you received for Samsara?

• Hands on training…done very well, understand completely .

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Had a meeting, person explained it, got a copy of instructions… not very clear.

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • What training. Here’s the new app, good luck!

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
We just rolled out Samsara. This new app, has not gone well at our barn. Everyday I hear of problems, drivers are having. Training was almost,non existent! How has it gone for you?

Training at my barn consisted of how to sign in and enter trailer info and release numbers. Nothing on what to do upon arrival at fac, arrive back and sign out. Nothing on roadside inspection procedures. So many unanswered questions. Good thing is they frogmarched the scm out the front door that same afternoon. (Unrelated issues from the **** poor training.)

Samsara is the biggest piece of junk e-log I have every used, and I have been using them since the 90's. I used everything from hard wired to Bluetooth connected systems and Samsara wins the award for biggest POS E-log. The nice thing is every once in a while they ask for you opinion on the app and I glad to tell them there system suck azz

Training at my barn consisted of how to sign in and enter trailer info and release numbers. Nothing on what to do upon arrival at fac, arrive back and sign out. Nothing on roadside inspection procedures. So many unanswered questions. Good thing is they frogmarched the scm out the front door that same afternoon. (Unrelated issues from the **** poor training.)

Best thing to ever happen to that guy. I bet he’s thrilled to be free. Every convict gets their parole, eventually.

No training, but once you do it once, it’s easy. The biggest glitch is a city driver not logging into the truck, it goes back to the last person who drove it. We have lh guys loosing runs because they got put on duty by a lazy city dsr.

Most the people posting in here seem to be line haul. The fellas I talk to are city drivers. And they HATE this samsara stuff.

No training, but once you do it once, it’s easy. The biggest glitch is a city driver not logging into the truck, it goes back to the last person who drove it. We have lh guys loosing runs because they got put on duty by a lazy city dsr.
Haven't you been around long enough to realize that sometimes it's your fellow workers who screw you even more so than management? :smile new:

That’s false. The lazy linehaul driver either didn’t “leave” the tractor or didn’t sign out of BOTH Samsara AND the dock ops app.

You can’t just “Go Off Duty & Sign Out” without exiting your equipment first.

That’s false. The lazy linehaul driver either didn’t “leave” the tractor or didn’t sign out of BOTH Samsara AND the dock ops app.

You can’t just “Go Off Duty & Sign Out” without exiting your equipment first.
He left both.

So he probably didn’t “leave” the tractor before signing out.

If you sign out properly, anyone can drive the tractor without signing in and it won’t hurt the previous drivers logs. All it’s gonna do is create unidentified driving segments..just like Vnomics did.
Not sure. I had the same thing happen to me, but it was a carrier edit. I just refused it.

So he probably didn’t “leave” the tractor before signing out.

If you sign out properly, anyone can drive the tractor without signing in and it won’t hurt the previous drivers logs. All it’s gonna do is create unidentified driving segments..just like Vnomics did.
We have Samsara at ABF and that is how it works here...when you sign in it will ask you about unclaimed driving segments...I always say "not mine" unless I'm absolutely sure it was me...

We have Samsara at ABF and that is how it works here...when you sign in it will ask you about unclaimed driving segments...I always say "not mine" unless I'm absolutely sure it was me...
Same situation at Yellow (not Samsara though). At a NY State inspection a while back they told me that the company should clear those up somehow. Nice guy, he showed me all the unclaimed events on his computer screen. From the locations where they occurred I knew they were from P&D drivers using road tractors and not logging on. I passed that information on to management.

Not sure. I had the same thing happen to me, but it was a carrier edit. I just refused it.
Same situation at Yellow (not Samsara though). At a NY State inspection a while back they told me that the company should clear those up somehow. Nice guy, he showed me all the unclaimed events on his computer screen. From the locations where they occurred I knew they were from P&D drivers using road tractors and not logging on. I passed that information on to management.
FMCSA mandates that all driving time/segments on an ELD be either assigned to the correct driver or annotated. Annotations are acceptable if the tractor is driven on company property without a driver being assigned to the truck or if a truck is driven on a public roadway by a non-company driver such as a dealer making a truck delivery or a mechanic's shop taking the truck for a test drive after work is completed. There are no other options as this time must be accounted for lest it puts drivers and the company at risk for CSA violations. Some people believe that driver trainers aren't necessary, well this task happens to be one of our responsibilities and it takes a portion of the workload off managers who already have their plates full with ops. https://www.jjkeller.com/learn/dealing-with-unassigned-driving-time

FMCSA mandates that all driving time/segments on an ELD be either assigned to the correct driver or annotated. Annotations are acceptable if the tractor is driven on company property without a driver being assigned to the truck or if a truck is driven on a public roadway by a non-company driver such as a dealer making a truck delivery or a mechanic's shop taking the truck for a test drive after work is completed. There are no other options as this time must be accounted for lest it puts drivers and the company at risk for CSA violations. Some people believe that driver trainers aren't necessary, well this task happens to be one of our responsibilities and it takes a portion of the workload off managers who already have their plates full with ops. https://www.jjkeller.com/learn/dealing-with-unassigned-driving-time
Knowledgeable drivers trainers are necessary. Drivers trainers that KNOW and TEACH correct information and techniques AND set good examples are needed , wanted and necessary.

How these people are selected is what needs to be addressed. It should be an open process that puts the most qualified person in the training position.