1. All employers have a social media policy, Your identity is UNKNOWN on Truckingboards unless you reveal it somehow yourself. When you post to Facebook Trucking Groups, everybody knows your name. Think about it.

Saving America's Pension Plans Is A Rare Chance For Bipartisan Accomplishment | Opinion

Discussion in 'Central States Pension Fund Discussion' started by Freightmaster1, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Pup Driver

Pup Driver Well-Known Member

It's been a lot of years now but as I recall and many here might not know this but Motor Freight Express , York Pa. was the one responsible for CF starting Con Way . What happen was CF was in talks with MFX to buy them out but heres the sticking point CF told them that they would buy MFX after they(MFX) paid over 300 k to CSPF.MFX wouldn't have anything to do with that so after sometime of bickering back and forth CF said the hell with ya were going to open our own company .

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  2. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

Driver Since:

Interesting, Brother.....Motor Freight was one of the companies on my....resume'....

jimmy g likes this.
  3. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 63 Year Teamster Member AD-FREE USER

Driver Since:
    [​IMG]
    First tractor purchased by Conway, ( owned by Brad Wilkes, Lincolnton N C)

SAC75, canaryinthemine and jimmy g like this.
  4. jimmy g

jimmy g Kook

Driver Since:
    I hauled a lot of flatbed freight for one of their agents, in 76 thru 80.

Weren't they owned at least in part, by Jerold Hoffberger (then owner of the Baltimore Orioles)?

canaryinthemine likes this.
  5. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

Not sure.....I worked city out of Harmarville, Pa......right off the turnpike....
    And then when they closed Johnstown and moved it to Greensburg, it was a lot closer to my house, and I transferred there.

Never really knew much about the upper management. I do remember the logo change, though. I still have some old logo MFX notepads.
    And I donated an old MFX patch,.....along with others that I had worked for,....to Local #30 Union Hall. They were trying to gather up some mementoes of “fallen flags” in trucking.

They got the patches on display at the Hall. Jeannette, Pa.

jimmy g likes this.
  6. Pup Driver

Yes your 100% correct.O BTW they also owned Colt 45 malt liquor at that time .MFX also at some time bought out Baltimore Transfer a company that was started in 1868 so they had some grate grandfather rights till deregulation came along .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    jimmy g likes this.
  7. Pup Driver

MFX was in financial trouble and came to the employees looking for an ESOP with a cut of 15% but it was strictly voluntary . At that time CF wanted to have a regional division and would have been the perfect time for MFX to sell and the best part was that MFX was solid union and would have stayed that way.

8. canaryinthemine

Driver Since:

By the time of the ESOP, I was laid off and working for Werner-Continental........getting ready for the Hall’s buyout and another layoff.....

9. Pup Driver

J.D. Werner was co owner of Coronated Truck lines when he bought out is partner and changed the name to Werner Transportation . This took place around 1952 give or take a year.

canaryinthemine likes this.