TForce | securing loads properly

CharlieFoxtrot

TB Lurker
Credits
In your opinion,

Is there a need for more load jack bars/ ratchet load locks in the system to protect shipments?

Have been seeing entirely too many disaster trailers due to a lack of availability of dunnage and block/brace equipment.

:wavey:Allways need more, but dock workers need to learn how to use them. Maybe the supervisers can get off there butts and watch them load trailers and teach them something.

Absolutely we need them, just like NF said, the dockworkers need to learn how to use them. I will add that they also need to get off their butts and learn to take them down properly when finished, instead of damaging them by using the fork trucks to take 'em down.....

The best load restraints in my opinion are the ratchet straps,and the rings on the trailer walls.

I don't care how tight a load bar seems to be,the movement of the trailer flex riding over pot holes and rounding corners always tend to loosen those bars.
However the straps I used always held everything in place,especially high skids such as electrical transformers.

The load racks are ok for the pups,though straps would hold the stuff on them a lot better.
As the pup trailers with the axle under the tail acts like a swimming pool diving board.
If the loads are not tight to begin with,the stuff will be all over the place by the time the sets arrive at the destination terminals,or customers whatever the case may be.

Many years ago I made the suggestion that just as the origin terminal was preparing to put the plastic diaper across the tail freight,and close the door on the pup.
They should take a photo of the load,keep one copy,and send the other with the paper work to the destination terminal.
My TM said that is a great idea,but he never did it.

Well because here is the thing,when the pup trailers get to the destination terminals,sometimes the only way the roll doors can be opened is with a fork lift.
When the contents is reviled by the inbound crew it looks like a bomb went off as everything has fallen down against the door.

These pup loads would be a lot better off if the skids were strapped to the trailer side walls,in my opinion.
Also I'm not sure if UPS does the same with claims as Overnite used to?
Both the origin,and destination terminals were charged with the damage,even though the destination had nothing to do with the damage.
That is why outbound trailer loads should be photographed before they are closed out and sealed to see how better to secure the freight and cut down on damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was told all terminals that handled the freight on the dock will take the hit. Unless it can be clearly proven that it was the fault of one terminal.

Ratchet straps work best. Even P&d could use more of them too. I've been trying to get the shop to install E-track in all the P&D trailers to secure the loads better. I just get get a polite smile and nothing...

Why not ask your TM what does he,or she thinks is the best action cost wise.
Installing rings,or E-track in trailers to ratchet the skids from falling?
Or paying damage claims,even worse, kissing a customer bye bye,because they are sick of receiving their freight wrecked?