ODFL | Seeing equipment like this is sad..

BillyLo

Service 2.0 OD Strong All Time Mastio Champion
Credits
Is it just me or does it seem like 60% of our trucks have bent & dinged side fairings? Tonight I saw 3 tractors at one terminal all with numbers such as 24579** These are new trucks already abused! I know we go into some tight places, but com'on.. what happened to watching the mirrors? Are the new trucks beat down good out East too?

yeah you are right.when i was sharing my tractor the other guy dinged it up but as it was discussed on another thread nothing was done to him.now i was hit by another truck a month ago and he scraped the fender real good.they arent fixing it but im sure they collected the insurance money.my 05 looks like crap.

I don't have to deal with daycabs but I see a lot of damaged equipment. Trailers seem to really take a beating and it seems most comes on the yard at busy terminals. I have sat and watched the switchers absolutely fly around and do damage to trailers. There is no telling how much damage is done to the swither tractors. I also see a fair amount of trailers with 2 holes punched in the frt. from people trying to back a jiff under with the trailer too low. I can't imagine the torture some of the fork trucks endure. I've been on a dock where it was beyond belief the way they treated the fork trucks. Moving swiftly is one thing but out and out abuse and destroying things for no reason shouldn't be accepted.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe because the majority of our new drivers come straight off the dock with no experience and then get put into brand new trucks instead of the older equipment may cause alot of this damage. :captain:

That is true EC. I'm never going to get my fully chromed out single axle 379 if we keep treating the Freightshakers like this.

Hey Beeman, have you ever walked onto one of our docks and it smelt like a Nascar track?

All I want is a 525 HP cat, twin screw. They can put it in anything that has a decent seat and air supension . Can one of you Greensboro drivers order me one up. send it to KCY employee # 51894

???????

sparky said:
All I want is a 525 HP cat, twin screw. They can put it in anything that has a decent seat and air supension . Can one of you Greensboro drivers order me one up. send it to KCY employee # 51894
Is that really your number or are you just joking ?????

Just joking it is a suggestion that new drivers often are placed in the best equipment. I have noticed here that if they have a few small accidents they end up in a 99 or below. There is much that I would not consider totally right but for the most part our terminal is pretty good. Still want that big motor though dont like to slow down on hills. Want to keep my run though.

I've been on docks where I was scared for my safety and got off of the dock quickly.

On many yards it's the switchers doing damage to the trailers, but I have witnessed some drivers do amazing things also.

One of the things I hate is when they leave the trailer handle out and then it gets bent. It's a lot of fun trying to crank the landing gear with that bent handle.

Go to some terminals and almost every trailer is cranked up too high to hook. Now that's drivers doing that and I don't know why. i watched a driver crank the landing gear so high I thought they were going to lift the tractor off of the ground before they stopped. Go to Richmond and the fellow that switches there will be quick to tell you not to crank the landing gear down too far. I appreciate someone like him doing his job. he's actually looking out for all the drivers. Ever read the accident report and see where a trailer has "fallen off"? I wonder how many were high hooks that was caused by a high trailer and then not checking.

FAST forklifts

There are several reasons the docks are dangerous and we all know what they are.The line between hot freight and safety has blurred.Then throw in some childish and inmature behavior and what you see is what you got.An accident waiting to happen.I could go on but its just *******in the wind. Everybody wants speed.

Easy solution to this problem....keep old trucks in the city and newer trucks in linehaul.this may make some mad but you guys look on them crash sheets and ther are always a crap load of city drivers tearing up stuff compared to linehaul.I know there are less things that linehaul have to worry about than the city but hey why not keep a truck that has some dings and dents on it where it wouldn't hurt to get a couple more.