XPO | Selling Off

I vaguely remember Upnorth saying he was a driver. Hollywoodz and Sucker questioned whether he was an employee and/or a driver due to the type of knowledge he had access to. His wording of his statements an overall tone of anti-worker sentiment ( not just anti-union ) lead me to be leery of Gene's motives.

Always wondered about Merdock. I think we all wonder about people from time to time. Weird that that guy would intentionally use the Serene Gene moniker to make that post. Almost as though to use it as a way for us to see. But then it could also be someone else that didn't like Serene Gene looking to vilify him without his knowledge. Many layers to an onion.

Always wondered about Merdock. I think we all wonder about people from time to time. Weird that that guy would intentionally use the Serene Gene moniker to make that post. Almost as though to use it as a way for us to see. But then it could also be someone else that didn't like Serene Gene looking to vilify him without his knowledge. Many layers to an onion.
Yeah , I was thinking possible misdirection as well. Also , maybe whoever Serene Gene is just doesn't give a flip anymore.

XPO Logistics’ Latest Move Departs From Its CEO’s Usual Strategy

Rich Duprey
(TMFCop)
Jan 27, 2020 at 10:28AM

CEO Bradley Jacobs of XPO Logistics (NYSE:XPO) is a serial entrepreneur who is probably more successful at what he does than most other executives.

He's built up four other businesses from scratch, turned them into billion-dollar powerhouses, and then sold them at huge profits. He did it at oil brokerage firm Amerex Oil, oil trading company Hamilton Resources, garbage collection company United Waste, and industrial equipment rental giant United Rentals (NYSE:URI).

IMAGE SOURCE: XPO LOGISTICS.

He often achieves this success by rolling up an industry under his umbrella before selling the particular company at an enormous profit. All told, Jacobs has well over 500 acquisitions to his name, and it is part of the DNA of XPO, which has spent over $8 billion acquiring 19 companies since he took over in 2011, back when it was named Express-1 Expedited Solutions.

Yet the logistics and transportation leader just announced it was embarking on a different strategy: It wants to sell or spin off some of XPO's businesses to maximize shareholder value.

article continues
From - The Motley Fool

I vaguely remember Upnorth saying he was a driver. Hollywoodz and Sucker questioned whether he was an employee and/or a driver due to the type of knowledge he had access to. His wording of his statements an overall tone of anti-worker sentiment ( not just anti-union ) lead me to be leery of Gene's motives.
I can’t remember talking to gene, but I did talk to merdock. No question in my mind he was a driver. Not sure about gene. If I can confirm it was him that posted that post, I would dust him in a New York minute.

This comment was particularly interesting
  1. Serene Gene says:
    Monday, January 2

LOL, is that where we're at now?

You mean you don't think a labor consultant would lie?

So high and mighty for someone happily sharing an obviously fake comment attributed to someone they don't even know.

Strike one.

Probably got fired and is pissed.

Happily employed and still serene. Strike two.

He can't hit, he can't hit, he can't hit- sahwing battah...

He won't be back, he no longer has a reason to.

Aw, strike three. Congrats- you don't know what you're talking about.

If I can confirm it was him that posted that post, I would dust him in a New York minute.

I don't understand how people that spend any time on the internet believed for one second that I wrote that comment. Holy confirmation bias, Batman!

After a solid quarter at XPO, the question is being asked: why does this company need to be broken up?

Amit Mehotra, who leads the transportation research unit at Deutsche Bank, asked ( Bradley Jacobs ) about the benefits of spinning off a unit versus selling it to a third party. But Jacobs did not want to talk about spinning off anything, noting separately that the first efforts to find buyers were “off to an excellent start.”

As Mehotra noted, spinning off a business doesn’t take another party to step up; it’s “completely your control,” he said. But Jacobs said for now, “we’re not putting a huge amount of effort into the spin.” Rather, XPO is looking at the sales opportunities, “and we’ll see how that goes and then take it step by step.”

From - Freightwaves.com

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/why-shares-of-xpo-logistics-are-falling-today-2020-02-27

So first. He fraks up the sale to Amazon. Muddles around trying to make more acquisitions. That doesn't work so. He announces wanting to break it up and sell. Just in time for COVID-19. And the stock takes a nose dive after all he has done just to get it back as high as he has. This guy ain't got no luck. None of his plans are working out. Just keeps stepping in it everywhere he turns.

What the hell is Jacobs exit strategy now ? He clearly don't want anything to do with this. At all. What now ?

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/why-shares-of-xpo-logistics-are-falling-today-2020-02-27

So first. He fraks up the sale to Amazon. Muddles around trying to make more acquisitions. That doesn't work so. He announces wanting to break it up and sell. Just in time for COVID-19. And the stock takes a nose dive after all he has done just to get it back as high as he has. This guy ain't got no luck. None of his plans are working out. Just keeps stepping in it everywhere he turns.

What the hell is Jacobs exit strategy now ? He clearly don't want anything to do with this. At all. What now ?
Karma’s a bitch . You get what back what you put out.

Give nothing get nothing.

Last edited:

Ya know, this Jacobs guy has had a movie script already written for him. The movie is Pretty Woman & they called him Mr. Lewis. Richard Gere played Mr. Lewis. Now the question that begs for an answer is, did Jacobs really get 'Lucky'? Or was it just a figment of our imagination? von.

Karma’s a bitch . You get what back what you put out.

Give nothing get nothing.

He’s already been well compensated for his effort. But his big pay off is looking bleak. And his reputation as a roll up master mind has taken a severe hit.

Ya know, this Jacobs guy has had a movie script already written for him. The movie is Pretty Woman & they called him Mr. Lewis. Richard Gere played Mr. Lewis. Now the question that begs for an answer is, did Jacobs really get 'Lucky'? Or was it just a figment of our imagination? von.

So, we are nothing but hookers ? I’m not sure I enjoy this comparison.

At this point I don't care. Just please Mr. Jacobs sell it all and let us get on with our work lives.
Since becoming XPO , there have been changes. What seems amazing is management that was at XPO when it was Con-way have just went along with the worst of these adjustments. And it seems like there's very little pushback by the folks that know better when bad decisions are made.

Apparently , a total lack of leadership. It's March , coming up on the end of the quarter. Hopefully there's positive news around the corner.

So, we are nothing but hookers ? I’m not sure I enjoy this comparison.
If you know the movie, you know Mr. Lewis made his money buying low & selling high companies that were struggling finically. Now Julia Roberts played (Vivian) the hooker. Hooking & buying up distressed companies, are really 2 different things. I don’t see how they relate. As Mr. Lewis said ‘Vivian I have a business proposition for you’, resulting in 2 totally different business transactions. Jacobs buys & sells companies trying to make a profit doing so. So the question begs to ask, if Jacobs takes part of the Ladies of the Evening, can he write off the expense, or just eat the cost? Von.

Since becoming XPO , there have been changes. What seems amazing is management that was at XPO when it was Con-way have just went along with the worst of these adjustments. And it seems like there's very little pushback by the folks that know better when bad decisions are made.

Apparently , a total lack of leadership. It's March , coming up on the end of the quarter. Hopefully there's positive news around the corner.

By positive news did you mean corporate chaos resulting in no raise or future ? Holy crap there are a lot of people quitting !!!!