ABF | Serious Accident

hangbelly

TB Lurker
Credits
Thursday morning at About 1:30am a wrong way driver driving westbound in the eastbound lanes of I-84 near Wendell Idaho collided with two trucks, one of which was an ABF set of triples driven by Diane Lucero out of Salt Lake City Utah 149. All three vehicles exploded in flames and the driver of the wrong way car died at the scene. All three truck drivers escaped with minor injuries. The semi was a sleeper team for Prime Inc and had a driver in the sleeper berth. Diane was in the rt lane and was being passed by the Prime truck in the left lane when the car collided with the semi and spun into and under tha ABF unit and exploded. Diane escaped with only minor bruises. She had a hard time getting the seat belt unbuckled but luckily was able to escape the flames. All of her brothers and sisters at ABF wish her a speedy recovery from this nightmare.

Thursday morning at About 1:30am a wrong way driver driving westbound in the eastbound lanes of I-84 near Wendell Idaho collided with two trucks, one of which was an ABF set of triples driven by Diane Lucero out of Salt Lake City Utah 149. All three vehicles exploded in flames and the driver of the wrong way car died at the scene. All three truck drivers escaped with minor injuries. The semi was a sleeper team for Prime Inc and had a driver in the sleeper berth. Diane was in the rt lane and was being passed by the Prime truck in the left lane when the car collided with the semi and spun into and under tha ABF unit and exploded. Diane escaped with only minor bruises. She had a hard time getting the seat belt unbuckled but luckily was able to escape the flames. All of her brothers and sisters at ABF wish her a speedy recovery from this nightmare.

https://www.kmvt.com/2020/09/17/1-d...-with-semi-trucks-on-i-84-crash-near-wendell/

https://www.ktvb.com/article/news/l...e-84/277-c0efe4aa-6dc2-4652-b2f7-a02be5405e0e

A terrible thing...........8 times as many truck drivers die in the line-of-duty as policemen and firemen combined...DOL statistics.....

Truck drivers have to deal with stupidity, drunkeness, arrogance, imbecility, health incidents, and inexperience on a daily basis......while moving at 60 mph in an 80,000 lb vehicle........

Yet,....we're "overpaid".......according to some management desk jockeys......

A terrible thing...........8 times as many truck drivers die in the line-of-duty as policemen and firemen combined...DOL statistics.....

Truck drivers have to deal with stupidity, drunkeness, arrogance, imbecility, health incidents, and inexperience on a daily basis......while moving at 60 mph in an 80,000 lb vehicle........

Yet,....we're "overpaid".......according to some management desk jockeys......

I was involved in an accident in a company truck, hit by a driver who was asleep. Often there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident. An asleep driver is even more dangerous than one who is impaired. Often a driver who is intoxicated will drive very slow while a driver who is asleep often increases speed. The one that hit me was running extremely fast & had been driving several miles in a semi conscious state all the while increasing speed.
Most companies claim that all accidents are preventable. However I know of a company safety man who was hit from the side while driving a company vehicle. I knew several 30 or 40 year drivers who had no accidents whatsoever. Quite a few had no chargeable accidents which is no small feat. I know of one who was on his last year of a forty year career but was cut off by a little twerp in her new, 'Daddy gave it to me' sport model. The driver drove in to a construction wall to avoid a probable deadly crash. The girl he avoided hitting drove off. Luckily several witnesses verified the account given by the driver.

Diane said she was finally able to slide the seat back and get enough slack in the belt to release it. They sometimes lock up on impact. Those of us with long legs may not have been so lucky. A knife in a pocket clip that is accessible with your seatbelt latched might be a good idea.I always carried one. I don't even want to think about the alternative...

Diane said she was finally able to slide the seat back and get enough slack in the belt to release it. They sometimes lock up on impact. Those of us with long legs may not have been so lucky. A knife in a pocket clip that is accessible with your seatbelt latched might be a good idea.I always carried one. I don't even want to think about the alternative...

Good idea.........A long time ago, I assisted at a wreck where a cabover had flipped and the seat airbag button had jammed full on, pinning the driver in the seat. I punctured the airbag with a knife, allowing him to tumble out.......

Diesel fuel was pouring out of ruptured tanks,,.......and of course, the obligatory idiots with cigarettes hanging out their mouths were standing around offering "advice"...........