Shelter dogs' reactions to being adopted

10 years ago, this August, we had a medium size brown dog that made a home under my camper. Unbeknownst to me my daughters boyfriend at the time was feeding him. I came home from work one morning and was sitting on my porch having a cigar and a coffee, the dog came up on the porch and sat next to me, I petted him and after a few minutes I said, "how would you like a new home"? His tail went crazy wagging, and he sat up straight in front of me. That dog understood what I said, been here almost 10 years, best friend I ever had...

Eleven years ago we picked up a pup from an abusive home. Once she saw us she held on & wouldn't go back to the previous owner. He had beaten her for being an engergetic pup in an apartment & being part lab she also chewed on whatever she could. It took quite a while before she would not cower when we called her or walked up to her. She now has hip dysplasia which is typical for labs/shepherds. Rimadyl helps but she still has stiffness & some pain. This is the last dog I will have. I get too attached to animals.

My eldest and his fiancé just adopted their 3rd Pitbull rescue this afternoon. The first died of cancer a few months ago. Now they have Penny-No, and today they adopted Lenny (soon to be Lenny-No). Penny has heard No so many times, it’s become her full name….

I once owned the smartest hunting dog in 5 states.
This dog I think could almost read my mind, I never once told him what I wanted to hunt.
If I wanted to hunt rabbits, he ran rabbits, if I wanted to hunt deer he ran deer, if I wanted to hunt quail, he pointed birds without me telling him what I was after.
One day I decided to see if I could fool him, I came outside with my rod, reel, and tackle box.
I couldn't find him for about 30 minutes, finally, I found him behind the barn digging worms.

I once owned the smartest hunting dog in 5 states.
This dog I think could almost read my mind, I never once told him what I wanted to hunt.
If I wanted to hunt rabbits, he ran rabbits, if I wanted to hunt deer he ran deer, if I wanted to hunt quail, he pointed birds without me telling him what I was after.
One day I decided to see if I could fool him, I came outside with my rod, reel, and tackle box.
I couldn't find him for about 30 minutes, finally, I found him behind the barn digging worms.
Hey bub why don't ya save it for your Las Vegas show!

SANDS2-2.png

10 years ago, this August, we had a medium size brown dog that made a home under my camper. Unbeknownst to me my daughters boyfriend at the time was feeding him. I came home from work one morning and was sitting on my porch having a cigar and a coffee, the dog came up on the porch and sat next to me, I petted him and after a few minutes I said, "how would you like a new home"? His tail went crazy wagging, and he sat up straight in front of me. That dog understood what I said, been here almost 10 years, best friend I ever had...
Or Was it the other way around? You come home, and the dog sitting on the porch with coffee, and a cigar? It would be that way at my house, I know.