Short Haul Exemption

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
I guess this question is for the more experienced drivers...back before the ELDs we didn't keep logs (speaking of city drivers) just our time for punches on the clock..I remember that if you went over 12 hours you had to do a log, so the companies rarely worked you past 12 (at least this was my experience)...of course ELDs came out and companies started salivating over 14 hour days 70 hour work weeks, and 34 hour resets (pure greed and inconsiderate of drivers time)...so my question is why did the companies rarely let you go over? I mean were they penalized somehow if you did and they were audited?

I guess this question is for the more experienced drivers...back before the ELDs we didn't keep logs (speaking of city drivers) just our time for punches on the clock..I remember that if you went over 12 hours you had to do a log, so the companies rarely worked you past 12 (at least this was my experience)...of course ELDs came out and companies started salivating over 14 hour days 70 hour work weeks, and 34 hour resets (pure greed and inconsiderate of drivers time)...so my question is why did the companies rarely let you go over? I mean were they penalized somehow if you did and they were audited?
City drivers run on, 60 hours in 7 days, generally working 5 day weeks. 12 hours daily, or less let’s you have hours to work your 5th day. They would be hurting themselves letting too many guys having less than 8 hrs available for Friday. Thanks, FSB.

City drivers run on, 60 hours in 7 days, generally working 5 day weeks. 12 hours daily, or less let’s you have hours to work your 5th day. They would be hurting themselves letting too many guys having less than 8 hrs available for Friday. Thanks, FSB.
I guess the reason I am asking this is because of having to do a log if you went over 12...I mean if it was only about hours, then why did we have to do a log?

I guess the reason I am asking this is because of having to do a log if you went over 12...I mean if it was only about hours, then why did we have to do a log?
Because the FMCSA Hours of Service says you need too. But that rule changed last year. It now reads 14 or more hours in a day, or over 150 miles from your home terminal.

Ok, but I guess what I'm getting at is does anyone know the reasoning behind that rule....

Ok, but I guess what I'm getting at is does anyone know the reasoning behind that rule....
If you stay Under the hours, or miles from the terminal, you only need to keep track of hours and don’t need to log at all.

You must log in winter if the fireplace gets empty.

George C Scott Smile GIF by Warner Archive

Just keeping everyone honest I suppose. Start pushing max hours, I’d make darn sure my logs are accurate. Otherwise, few minutes here & there, shouldn’t matter. Our city runs on 70/6 just like line BTW.

Companies follow trends that analysts project and lobby the government accordingly.
Driver shortages have been the talk for several years. With the cost of labor and benefits, and the costs of equipment etc. they have come to the conclusion that longer days are better for the bottom line, and the need for drivers they can’t get.

Not to mention the savings with 53’ 102” and 13’6” wagons, that one alone created at least 15% increase in profits.

AB, bear with me here. Years ago, I'm talking about the 60s and 70s. Every decent company had flip placards on their equipment. Most said, Please Drive Safely. No big deal right? Some Big Carriers had great slogans, CF, Line of the Daysavers, Cooper Jarret, Route of The Relays. Etc. I'm sure reading this doesn't confuse you. But at in approximately 1980 or so those esteemed bureaucrats who run this horrific govt agency decided all of the above mentioned slogans, "confused the American Motoring Public". That's a direct quote by the way. That's why the blank outside placard covers. Also remember that almost religiously every 2 years the govt changes something in the hazmat regs, just to justify their existence.

AB, bear with me here. Years ago, I'm talking about the 60s and 70s. Every decent company had flip placards on their equipment. Most said, Please Drive Safely. No big deal right? Some Big Carriers had great slogans, CF, Line of the Daysavers, Cooper Jarret, Route of The Relays. Etc. I'm sure reading this doesn't confuse you. But at in approximately 1980 or so those esteemed bureaucrats who run this horrific govt agency decided all of the above mentioned slogans, "confused the American Motoring Public". That's a direct quote by the way. That's why the blank outside placard covers. Also remember that almost religiously every 2 years the govt changes something in the hazmat regs, just to justify their existence.
Part Two, only because I love you guys! An example of the changes is what the haz mat regs have changed from. Clearly it is in the world's population best interest to make these things as simple as possible. And the beauracrats actually had it exactly right several years ago. What should appear on a hazmat bill of lading and in what order. They started with S, shipping name of the product, next H, hazard class of the product, then I for the ID number of the hazardous material, then P for the packaging number of said Material. S H I P, nice little deal, every truck driver can relate to. That apparently only lasted 2 years because something so simple can never fit into govt bureaucracy. Last I looked they changed it to I S H P. But don't worry they'll be changing it again soon because they have to justify their existence. Kind of like all the college grads in the companies who tell you it only takes so long to go from here to there, or unload this many of them. College, the American nightmare. Thx for listening brudas. My point is they change the rules at their convenience, to justify their own existence. Not interested in your safety or the publics. I ran for NEMF for years at night on a shuttle. For about a year and a half was doing 600 miles a night in the tri-state area, 15 16 hours a day on nothing more than a company trip sheet. Unfortunately it's all bs with no rhyme or reason. Don't ever look to the govt or the blessed FMCSA for any help or answers. I apologize for the long post.

Part Two, only because I love you guys! An example of the changes is what the haz mat regs have changed from. Clearly it is in the world's population best interest to make these things as simple as possible. And the beauracrats actually had it exactly right several years ago. What should appear on a hazmat bill of lading and in what order. They started with S, shipping name of the product, next H, hazard class of the product, then I for the ID number of the hazardous material, then P for the packaging number of said Material. S H I P, nice little deal, every truck driver can relate to. That apparently only lasted 2 years because something so simple can never fit into govt bureaucracy. Last I looked they changed it to I S H P. But don't worry they'll be changing it again soon because they have to justify their existence. Kind of like all the college grads in the companies who tell you it only takes so long to go from here to there, or unload this many of them. College, the American nightmare. Thx for listening brudas. My point is they change the rules at their convenience, to justify their own existence. Not interested in your safety or the publics. I ran for NEMF for years at night on a shuttle. For about a year and a half was doing 600 miles a night in the tri-state area, 15 16 hours a day on nothing more than a company trip sheet. Unfortunately it's all bs with no rhyme or reason. Don't ever look to the govt or the blessed FMCSA for any help or answers. I apologize for the long post.
Is there a Part 3 coming?