FedEx Freight | Short Lunch List

truckingBORED

Careering down the road to AUTONOMY!
Credits
I keep getting on the “list”.

Does anyone have information on what satisfies the minimum on-duty time at a meet point?

Currently, I’m told that I need to give 11 minutes on-duty time for a Post/ Pretrip inspection. Then, 30 minutes off the clock. The on-duty time keeps going up...

Is that the current official policy?

Last edited:
Ideally, enough people might read and comment on the proposed rule changes (allowing us to log a lunch as on-duty instead of off-duty) so that it gets signed into law.

A single lunch break of 30 minutes to 3 hours could also pause our 14 hour clock!

Extensions could include both driving time and workday simultaneously! (That currently isn’t the case)...

Please view the other changes below:

https://www.ttnews.com/articles/fmcsa-unveils-hos

I would love to be able to take a 30 minute lunch then roll back to my domicile, instead of the 41 it takes me now.

Please use this opportunity to add comments! This is a proposed softening of some of the burdensome rules that make our jobs unnecessarily more difficult...

Here’s the link to chime in:

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FMCSA_FRDOC_0001-2998

Curious...

How can someone arrive at meet point, immediately go OFF Duty, and immediately go back to driving when 30 minutes is up?

Was there a post trip? Was there a pre-trip performed? Did you do it on your lunch? There has to be some on duty time between, no?

What would you say to a DOT officer?

Last edited:
Curious...

How can someone arrive at meet point, immediately go OFF Duty, and immediately go back to driving when 30 minutes is up?

Was there a post trip? Was there a pre-trip performed? Did you do it on your lunch? There has to be some on duty time between, no?

That’s a good point, is this change allowing “working during break”?

Curious...

I’d tell a DOT officer the exact condition that my equipment is in, since I walked around it after eating my protein and veggie, (which takes 10 minutes).

Everyone performs at a different pace, with different results.

Stringent enforcement of unnecessary regulations make my work day longer.

I’d tell a DOT officer the exact condition that my equipment is in, since I walked around it after eating my protein and veggie, (which takes 10 minutes).

Everyone performs at a different pace, with different results.

Stringent enforcement of unnecessary regulations make my work day longer.
do you kick tires on your walk around? if you do than you are working on your lunch break

Being held hostage in a parked commercial vehicle watching the clock tick slowly by isn’t my ideal setting for a meal break.

People die running marathons, I haven’t seen any governmental regulation requiring a break 13 miles in...

Any LTLer would benefit from having the option to complete their run a half hour earlier everyday.

Sometimes the 30 minute break can cost 1.5 hours if it prevents you from beating rush hour traffic.

We NEED the OPTION to have a break. It should never be mandated.

The FMCSA is listening, right now! Please comment if you agree with me, or have other ideas!!!!

https://www.regulations.gov/comment?D=FMCSA_FRDOC_0001-2998[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have information on what satisfies the minimum on-duty time at a meet point?

Currently, I’m told that I need to give 11 minutes on-duty time for a Post/ Pretrip inspection. Then, 30 minutes off the clock. The on-duty time keeps going up...

A couple things to consider:

Logs - Company policy can NOT require a specific amount of time to be shown, for anything. The time shown on a log is required to be true and accurate. Anything else is a falsification, which you cannot be compelled to do. Note: you'll never see any such requirement of specific time (shown on a log), in print. Certainly not on Company letterhead.

You cannot reasonably go from the drive line, directly off duty, then back to drive line with different equipment, unless you have a contract that put that duty on someone else, authorized to do those tasks.

Pay - The allowance of time is a matter of pay structure. You have to complete duty & 30 minute break, prior to clock starting for delay pay. Keep in mind, You are being paid (flat fee) for the post trip, drop (hook, pretrip too). Therefore, only after that compensated duty is accounted for, can you qualify for additional pay.

Again, if you can post trip, drop, hook pretrip, all in 10 min, for example, your log can show that, despite what you got paid for. But when it comes to pay, you have to allow for the time you are already compensated for, plus break, before any clock starts on delay pay.

To answer your question, we were told at least 13 mins on duty total along with 30 mins off duty and you’re fine. Those 13 on duty mins can be split before and after lunch but most total at least 13. Anything less than 13 will get you on the short break list.

You can turn and burn at the meet in any amount of time you want and stop to take your lunch elsewhere with no penalty. :scratchhead:

You cannot reasonably go from the drive line, directly off duty, then back to drive line with different equipment, unless you have a contract that put that duty on someone else, authorized to do those task.

Not true...I stop to take my lunch all the time and go from driving to off duty for 30 mins and straight back to driving. The company has never questioned me nor does DOT when I’m stopped for an inspection, and they look at my log.

Visitor here but discussion is interesting . My two cents is that under the new proposal, the 30 minutes could be any line but driving and only comes into play after 8 hours of continuous driving. Such that if you have a meet that is five hours from you, you drive five hours, show .25 hours for drop and hook then drive five hours home therefore never triggering the 30 minute break requirement because you never exceeded eight hours of continuous driving. This was what I heard from a guest on Dave Nemo's show who was supposedly some sort of regulations guru the week the proposed changes came out. Unfortunately I cannot recall his name. The old rules were 30 minutes after 8 hours duty , the proposed change is after 8 hours driving. The confusion is 8 hours cumulative or 8 hours continuos. Seems to be a gray area under proposed rules. Whether right or wrong I know at R&L once the drop and hook is complete and the truck stops moving, our guys hit break and move after 31 minutes. I've not heard of any of our guys having an issue with DOT for doing it that way. Again, I know companies have different policies but I think sometimes company policy and DOT regs get conflated.

Not true...I stop to take my lunch all the time and go from driving to off duty for 30 mins and straight back to driving. The company has never questioned me nor does DOT when I’m stopped for an inspection, and they look at my log.

Speed reading again, Red? :scratchhead:

Perhaps you missed the part about arriving, then departing with DIFFERENT EQUIPMENT. The original post pertained to a meet point.

You are correct that there is no "duty" requirement between drive, break, and drive.

:cool:

Last edited:
Visitor here but discussion is interesting . My two cents is that under the new proposal, the 30 minutes could be any line but driving and only comes into play after 8 hours of continuous driving. Such that if you have a meet that is five hours from you, you drive five hours, show .25 hours for drop and hook then drive five hours home therefore never triggering the 30 minute break requirement because you never exceeded eight hours of continuous driving. This was what I heard from a guest on Dave Nemo's show who was supposedly some sort of regulations guru the week the proposed changes came out. Unfortunately I cannot recall his name. The old rules were 30 minutes after 8 hours duty , the proposed change is after 8 hours driving. The confusion is 8 hours cumulative or 8 hours continuos. Seems to be a gray area under proposed rules. Whether right or wrong I know at R&L once the drop and hook is complete and the truck stops moving, our guys hit break and move after 31 minutes. I've not heard of any of our guys having an issue with DOT for doing it that way. Again, I know companies have different policies but I think sometimes company policy and DOT regs get conflated.

Didn't know ole Dave was still around, haven't listened to radio much since I retired.
He was our DJ on WWL N O along with Charlie Douglas , John Parker.
He kept us, CF, Carolina and Big R guys alert in the old days, still have my Road Gang shirt.
arMtfIq.jpg

Yep he's on Sirius xm on the truckers channel. They call it the road dog channel but I refuse to use that term for it . Disparaging term in my opinion. I am many things but a road dog is not one of them. I like Road Gang better. Pretty good show, has lots of good info. He pushes some products from sponsors a little heavily, Turbo 3000 comes to mind. It was supposedly a valve you installed on the fuel line to swirl the fuel before it hit the injectors to make sure each injector was getting same amount of fuel. Snake oil in my opinion but he has to pay his bills too. Road Gang was a much better moniker. I Like the shirt.

Yep he's on Sirius xm on the truckers channel. They call it the road dog channel but I refuse to use that term for it . Disparaging term in my opinion. I am many things but a road dog is not one of them. I like Road Gang better. Pretty good show, has lots of good info. He pushes some products from sponsors a little heavily, Turbo 3000 comes to mind. It was supposedly a valve you installed on the fuel line to swirl the fuel before it hit the injectors to make sure each injector was getting same amount of fuel. Snake oil in my opinion but he has to pay his bills too. Road Gang was a much better moniker. I Like the shirt.

“Gang” can also be construed as disparaging... I try not to overthink monikers, unless it’s: “Blueberry Muffin and my best friend Strawberry Shortcake”.