XPO | Short term Disability..... Just incase you don't know

Conway Lifer

TB Lurker
Credits
Im going on "Short Term Disability", having surgery, not a work related injury. I found out to my surprise, that for an hourly XPO employee, short term disability won't start for thirty days! OUCH!! In the past, it was always 14 days, including weekends. So in the past, I used 10 days PTO, and with weekends, that was 14. Now I don't have 20 "PTO" days banked, so I will have to eat about 5 days pay, and being out of work, that makes a difference. I did purchase the STD bump up to 70% of pay, when we chose our benefits for this year. So I just wanted to put this out here, for anyone who might be in this predicament, like myself. Work safe, you only have one body, and believe me, it will ware out doing this kind of work. Be careful, and have a great weekend!

Yes, the coverage went down to 60% unless you opted for the additional coverage at your expense. You will also have to pay your weekly healthcare premium out of that 60% also you will not accumulate pto time after so many weeks out. Long term disability will still be paid out at 66 2/3 . The union locations still have a 2 week waiting period vs. 30 days and pay at 66 2/3.
This is part of the degradation of benefits that we talk about that know one wants to talk about or consider .
The change in days is just the tip of the problem wait till you have to deal with Matrix for your payout.
Good luck with your procedure and I wish you the best. Keep on top of Matrix and the company to be sure your paid-in a timely manner. They will try to avoid payment as long as they can. We have people that haven’t been paid in months under disability.
Sad

Last edited:
XPO Long Term Disability is NOT paid at 66 2/3 , like "Sucker666" said above. XPO gives you 50%, but you can pay extra to get bumped up to 60%. 66 2/3% would be if you were hurt on the job.

There's Driver's that will defend them to the hilt , They only look at the pay check, they haven't considered the non existent benefits
That has been cut. It's a pattern with a lot of these companies is to raise pay and cut the benefits.
That’s how they fund the pay raises...diminish outlying benefits that will go unnoticed by some until they need it.

Last edited:
I found out to my surprise, that for an hourly XPO employee, short term disability won't start for thirty days! OUCH!! In the past, it was always 14 days, including weekends.

Yeah, I don't get that one. I wouldn't think the cost savings would justify the optics.

Yeah, I don't get that one. I wouldn't think the cost savings would justify the optics.
Terminal nearby took up a collection for a driver dealing with cancer. Short checks. No checks. Forced to return to work ( or face more short checks - incorrectly calculated to be clear ) Matrix totally screwed this driver. XPO ( local management and HR ) simply said it was out of their hands. Right.

In 2019 The waiting period for short term disability will be only 7 days!!!!! I only wish it was this year. I had to take the last of the thirty days, a total of 6 days with out any pay. OUCH!! I used up all my PTO's first, but then ran out. Nothing better then paying almost $2000.00 in copay's for surgery, and losing 6 days of pay. Glad to see this #$!%@ year come to an end!!

Terminal nearby took up a collection for a driver dealing with cancer. Short checks. No checks. Forced to return to work ( or face more short checks - incorrectly calculated to be clear ) Matrix totally screwed this driver. XPO ( local management and HR ) simply said it was out of their hands. Right.
Lawyer. It will get fixed quick.