Holland | Should I accept Mech in GR?

Actionwrench1

TB Lurker
Credits
I used to work as a wrench in WH and may get hired in GR, should I take it do you think? I am concerened about the longevity of YRC. I left just as YRC bought USF and hurt them. I am trying to think of my family here, but I cant sit behind a desk any longer either.

Great, nice perspective....seriously though just wondered what USF employees thought. I know the Union is good, just want to make sure I get vested before they give me the hook, I think you have to be in 5 yrs?

Go for it. I work as a city driver in GR, good people over there even if I did come from HO. TM told us YRC is pretty much letting us do our own thing seeing how we are 1 of the cash cows. With Zollers gone and Welch in and Rogers (used to Pres at Holland now Pres at YRC) at the helm, I think thing will get turned around. Holland is doing very well now.

Go for it. I work as a city driver in GR, good people over there even if I did come from HO. TM told us YRC is pretty much letting us do our own thing seeing how we are 1 of the cash cows. With Zollers gone and Welch in and Rogers (used to Pres at Holland now Pres at YRC) at the helm, I think thing will get turned around. Holland is doing very well now.
:hysterical: you cant be serious. they are doing very well of stealing us blind and spitting the contract in our faces as they know there will be no recourse against them. they have ruined holland and they will never recover from the damage that has been done to us in more ways than one. happy new year everyone.:17142:

holland started making a profit after the second give back. how is that a cash cow?

Ok, I give up. Holland is still one of the best companies to work for. Yes, we have had bad times but go out and find a better job, and before you say there are better jobs out there, why are you still working at Holland then if there are better driving jobs. You are saying he is a short time employee he still has stars in his eyes, sorry folks I am a 25 year employee I have seen the good and the bad, so yes Holland is still the best job I have ever had.

Ok, I give up. Holland is still one of the best companies to work for. Yes, we have had bad times but go out and find a better job, and before you say there are better jobs out there, why are you still working at Holland then if there are better driving jobs. You are saying he is a short time employee he still has stars in his eyes, sorry folks I am a 25 year employee I have seen the good and the bad, so yes Holland is still the best job I have ever had.. here we go again.

I appreciate your responses, I currently work for a large LTL that is not a union, somethings are ok, others not. all-in-all unions are better long term I think. Starting over is tough though until you get seniority. I shouldve never left Wheeling, I would been #7 guy out of 40 mechs in chicagoland, oh well..

Great, nice perspective....seriously though just wondered what USF employees thought. I know the Union is good, just want to make sure I get vested before they give me the hook, I think you have to be in 5 yrs?

Your experience with union representation and that which you will experience in GR will be two COMPLETELY different things. 406 is not anywhere near the local as the Chicago locals. Whether or not YRC,( and Holland is part of them til the end contrary to our fairy tale hopes) will make it long term is yet to be seen. You have less than 5 years in the union, is that what you are saying? 5yrs will get you almost nothing in pension, especially at the 25% rate that YRC is paying in now. The TM in GR does and says exactly what the regional manager tells him. I would not base my decision on moving my family on what he says to the employees. I would try finding someone who works in the garage to give you a clue as to how things are run there. Holland has been a good place to work, but it is no where near the place it used to be. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Don't just ask ?'s in this forum.

Your experience with union representation and that which you will experience in GR will be two COMPLETELY different things. 406 is not anywhere near the local as the Chicago locals. Whether or not YRC,( and Holland is part of them til the end contrary to our fairy tale hopes) will make it long term is yet to be seen. You have less than 5 years in the union, is that what you are saying? 5yrs will get you almost nothing in pension, especially at the 25% rate that YRC is paying in now. The TM in GR does and says exactly what the regional manager tells him. I would not base my decision on moving my family on what he says to the employees. I would try finding someone who works in the garage to give you a clue as to how things are run there. Holland has been a good place to work, but it is no where near the place it used to be. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Don't just ask ?'s in this forum.
come on now the other poster said gr was a great place to work and Holland is thriving. On a funny note to show how far we have come, it below windchill today and nothing runs or starts today on this wonderfully maintained equipment we have, a driver was froze up on the side of the road, the tm told him on the phone to walk to the nearest station or drug store to buy some rubbing alcohol to put in his lines. Nice eh. When I heard him say that I thought about how mike g. Would have corrected that in a hurry. Sad place it has become. Our vendor quit months ago and we have a guy that works out of his pickup with a few tool boxes. He cut up his jumper cables to jerry rig the liftgate trailer cord and just wraps the wires around the battery post to jump start. Sad.